Extra Week at Disney World or 7 Day Cruise

gambit985

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are looking at celebrating our 10th anniversary with a family trip to Disney World. It will be our 2 yr olds first trip. The first week we will spend on property and then our son will fly home with grandparents so my wife and I can have a week together for our anniversary. Our dilemma is deciding if we want to spend an extra week at Disney World or if we should take a Disney Cruise. The question we really have is how fun will the cruise be since we it would just be the 2 of us. Is the cruise more family oriented or is there a good deal of things to do for adults. We still want the Disney feel but wonder if we would have more fun staying an extra week at Disney World. Please help us make the right decision.

I'd say the cruise. Its great for couples. You can relax, go to Palo/Remy dinner, choose relaxing activities at the island, go to the bars, and still get all the disney magic with the characters around, disney decoration, castaway cay, etc! Im doing this on the summer. a week at WDW and a 4 day cruise :)

We say take the cruise and find out what you have been missing. DW and I have always cruised just the two of us with the exception of one when my Sister and BIL went with us on a 7 night Western. More often we find that we would rather cruise than go to WDW.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the cruise would be a lot more expensive?
If it were my DH and I, I would probably go with a non-Disney cruise with no kids just to save some money.
Staying in Disneyworld wouldn't be bad though, we just did our first adults only trip (we bought APs in June, so it is sandwiched between two family trips), and it was really nice getting to do things we didn't get to do in June ...and it eases the pressure off our next vacation. I know there is rider swap and everything, but we found it kind of a pain and we don't like riding alone.

After a week running around WDW, the cruise is wonderful way to simply relax and enjoy each other. There is plenty to do on board the ship for adults...we are never bored. Having been to both WDW and the cruise on the same trip, the cruise was our favorite part. The service & food was superior to what we had at WDW (which isn't to say it was bad, just the ship is better :yay:).
Whatever you do, have a wonderful anniversary!

There are a bunch of threads about cruising without kids. In fact I have cruised with and without. If you really enjoy the Disney product and really like tropical, a 7 day cruise may be wonderful. I will also advocate for always doing a cruise second if vacations dates allow for it. Much more relaxing than standing in line for space mountain next to the person who isn't wearing deodorant.

Take the cruise if you can. There is nothing more relaxing than a cruise, especially after a week in the parks.
My husband and I sail alone on DCL often and we have a wonderful time.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Cruise. Hands down and without a doubt. It is SO relaxing and wonderful. I grew up in Orlando, and I've done 3 cruises now. Needless to say, I've spent my fair share doing both. I would always pick the cruise over the parks in a heartbeat.

I have teenagers, we barely see them. We basically cruise as a couple and love all the adult only areas and activities. Of course being on the DCL chat board you are going to get most people favoring the cruise

My wife and I are looking at celebrating our 10th anniversary with a family trip to Disney World. It will be our 2 yr olds first trip. The first week we will spend on property and then our son will fly home with grandparents so my wife and I can have a week together for our anniversary. Our dilemma is deciding if we want to spend an extra week at Disney World or if we should take a Disney Cruise. The question we really have is how fun will the cruise be since we it would just be the 2 of us. Is the cruise more family oriented or is there a good deal of things to do for adults. We still want the Disney feel but wonder if we would have more fun staying an extra week at Disney World. Please help us make the right decision.
Another huge vote for DCL, after many trips to WDW, DCL and DL, we are way happier on DCL. You'll love it, especially just the two of you for your anniversary.

Cruise is definitely more relaxing.. but I know if I were on the cruise without my 2 year old, I'd REALLY wish I had brought her along, just because DCL cruise is soooooo awesome for kids. (Not sure about you but if I saw all these characters and super excited kids around, I'd wish my daughter was there to enjoy it). But that's just me. If we were doing a trip for our anniversary, we'd probably do something different to begin with (like a trip that's filled with fancy restaurants that you can't bring your kids to, lol)

My husband and I considered a Disney cruise for our 10 year anniversary. The hiccup for us is our son will be 6 at that time (our anniversary is next January), and I would feel terrible not taking him! HOWEVER, in your case, your daughter is 2. She's not even going to remember that you went on a wonderful vacation and enjoyed some quality time with your spouse!

My vote is the cruise and I'll even recommend DCL. We did one for our honeymoon and Disney really does a great job with adults on their cruises. There is plenty to do, but it'll also be a chance to relax and let the world float by, literally. :)

Congrats on 10 years!!

another vote for the cruise. And 7 nights are awesome!!!

=========================
BUT I CAN'T believe that I am suggesting the following ...

Maybe spend 3 more days in the park doing what you want to vs. being "limited" by rides, attractions, activities with your 2yo. then doing a 4 night cruise. But if the grandparents are at WDW with you, you should be able to spend some time doing what you want to (the grandparents are there for babysitting - right :teeth:)
=========================

after our youngest turned 18 we were "no longer" cruising with kids. We've been on 11 cruises since then, and almost 80 nights. 4 of the cruises have been just DW and I.

As far as "fun" - a cruise is MUCH DIFFERENT than being at WDW!! We used to say that if we were ever in Florida, that we would go to the parks. The first time we came down for just a cruise... well it was hard NOT going to the World. Many cruises later and I don't give the parks much thought at all. That's just where I am at these day.

And we keep coming back to cruise. We Would like new ports, but we keep coming back. We have cruised on NCL - and we will Never Cruise With Them Again!!! And I so wanted to do Hawaii with them.

For couples - there's plenty to keep us as busy as we want or we just sit up by the pool or on deck 4 and read and watch the world float by.

The Personal Navigators (you can find them here on the dis or other places on line- ie. disney cruiseline blog) can give you an example of things to do. If you like adult beverages - they have tasting and mixology classes - you won't find them listed in the Navigators. Some things can sound a bit "cheesy" but can be a lot of fun. We've never participated in or gone to watch Bingo, but I understand that they can be quite entertaining.

I really like most of the Production Shows they have on-board (3 per ship). And most of the time I find the other entertainers entertaining. That doesn't count the solo or duo musical performers that usually are on the ship for the duration of your cruise. In the evenings they are performing in the atrium or in the adult entertainment district or by the pool or other areas around the ships. They can be a nice way to pass some time between other "main" activities.

and there are the adults only areas on the ship:
  • the pool area and Deck 13 forward (on the Dream/Fantasy) all of the time (well except for embarkation day),
  • and the adult entertainment district (after 9pm)
  • and the two up-charge upscale restaurants - Palo on all, and Remy on Dream/Fantasy.
  • and some of the daily activities are for adults only as well
  • and the Spa (yep, additional charge - a bit pricey)
  • and the Gym - mostly free - a few classes will carry a fee

To summarize:
  • You do not have to be surrounded by kids all of the time, but dinner in the MDR's will have kids
  • There's plenty of options of activities on-board for adults
  • There's really great food for dinner (and brunch on sea days) in Palo and Remy (for an additional charge)
  • Disney attention to detail ... and the crew really wants you to have a great trip
  • There are Disney characters - for the kid inside of all of us
  • Its a great trip - regardless of which ship or itinerary you are on
  • NO: Cooking, Cleaning, Planning or Shopping
  • Don't have to clean my room - someone is taking care of that too
  • Very Good Entertainment
  • Pretty Good Food (remember they are serving 400 - 600 people in one dinning room all at the same time)
  • Lots of Activities throughout the day
  • Movies - they own "all" of them - and they show a wide variety in the theater, on Funnel Vision and in your stateroom

And there's more ... but that's for other people to expand upon ... I think that I've talked enough :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter