Extra Money

disney1sttime

Earning My Ears
My husband and I and 2 girls, ages 5 and 8, booked a trip for 7 nights at the Poly, dining plan and tickets included for about $3700.00. Just trying to get an idea of about how much extra money we should take with us? Any help is appreciated.

Also, we're still not sure if we are going to fly or drive. If we drive, just wondering if you have to pay to park at the Resort? This is our first time going so any other tips you can give us would be great! We're so excited to take our daughters :)

No you don't have to pay to park. Money wise, just decide on how much you want to spend on souvies and then any extra drinks or snacks you may get (like a refillable mug). Also you will need to tip at each TS meal.

Don't forget tip money for the TS restaurants. That can add a bit to the vacation. Re souveniers -- I'd try to decide how much you are going to spend for each of the children before hand and then let them know. If you don't they will want everything they see and you'll end up spending a lot of $$ and end up with a lot of junk.

If they know they only have so much money, when they say "I want that", you reply "Okay, but then you will only have $$ left. Are you sure you want to spend your money on that or would you like to look around more or wait until later in the vacation before deciding."

We did this with my kids and they really were quite selective in what they purchased. I'd pay 1/2 on any clothing items, but the regular gift shop stuff was very carefully selected. They still have some of those items today.

I loved the fact that I didn't have whining kids saying gimmie, gimmie ... wahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Plus, you can feel good that you stuck with a budget.

My wife and I went in 2007 and did the DDP. We LOVED it! Back then, everything was paid for with the DDP (gratuities, taxes, etc.) This year we have to factor all of that into our budget since the DDP has changed. The most expensive things for us were the souvenirs. We bought most of them at the Parks. We are going again in April and this time we promised ourselves that we will shop at the Walmart near WDW FIRST to get most of our souvenirs...they have quite a selection and it will save you quite a bit of money.

You guys are going to have so much fun! Don't forget to look for the ''Hidden Mickey's''!!

I've been wondering the same for our trip in May and thought about it a little.
I'm figuring at most, $30/day for TS meal. $5/day for mousekeeping... I told our 3 children that they each would get $50 to spend on souvies... Then I need to set aside money for hubby since he's a bigger eater and will probably want an extra meal/day... I also am thinking about airport parking... meals at the airports on arrival and departure days, driver's tips and incidental expenses for anything we may have forgotten..

Right now I have $800 hidden away...(vowing we will not touch this money for anything else..) I may add to the pot here and there until May... I'd much rather head to the world with more than enough money, then upon our return I feel victorious to have some leftover money to set aside for our next vacation..(although it won't be Disney..that only happens once every 4 years around this house..)

The dining plan still includes taxes, jsut not tips, not an appetizer anymore.

Are you thinking $30 a day total for table service? Because that won't be enough. Most table service are about 17-30 per person, depending on the meal and whether it's a buffet or not. Even with counter service, thats not alot. Kids meals are cheaper, and some are big enough to share, but most adult meals run about 10 a person give or take, plus drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter