Extra Magic Hours

Allie in Wonderland

DIS Veteran
I just returned from a wonderful trip but was a little upset during the Extra Magic Hours. The first night we visited the Magic Kingdom and completed the attractions in Fantasy Land. Not once during this time at any attraction did the cast members ask to see our hotel room keys. This was aggrivating becasue we were in line for Peter Pan and the people in front of us were discussing directions back to the Best Western. :furious: Then we took advantage of the Extra Magic Hours at EPCOT and I was happy because they were very strict in enforcing their policy and denied people the oppertunity to get in line for Spaceship Earth. Does anyone know why Magic Kingdom doesn't care about making the lines shorter for their resort guests?? Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused3

I was wondering how strict they are about checking for ID's!

This will be the first trip with the kids somewhat old enough to make EMH's! My little one was fast asleep by 8pm on our last trip so we never got to any late EMH's.

I am going to guess that the typical "beat the system" crowd is not hanging out in Fantasyland -- not to say that is a good reason for not checking. They were checking at most attractions at HS.

Did the CMs check for ID on other rides? I have found they are very good at checking for your resort ID and have seen people turned away.

To the OP I agree that is frustrating when the Cast Members are not checking for the KTTW cards and the fact there were offsite guests in the line who got to go on the attractions. That's also why I wish they would go back to the wristbands for Evening Extra Magic Hour, because it's truly the only way to tell who is staying onsite and offsite, plus all we need to do is show them to the Cast Members and they don't need to ask for anything but that.

To the OP I agree that is frustrating when the Cast Members are not checking for the KTTW cards and the fact there were offsite guests in the line who got to go on the attractions. That's also why I wish they would go back to the wristbands for Evening Extra Magic Hour, because it's truly the only way to tell who is staying onsite and offsite, plus all we need to do is show them to the Cast Members and they don't need to ask for anything but that.

I agree totally. There would be no confusion if they went back to the wristbands.

I forgot to mention if WDW wants to have the guests keep showing their KTTW cards then the only other option is to treat the Evening Extra Magic Hours like a hard ticket event and make sure all the offsite guests leave the park. I know others say both are different events and it's the attractions that count, so who cares if the offsite guests stay to walk around, look in the stores or get something to eat. Well if offsite guests are going on the attractions during Evening Extra Magic Hour when they should not be allowed to, obviously the system they have now is not working and not fair to those who are staying onsite.

I couldn't agree more about them returning to the wristbands. I have visited several times when they did that and it was very simple for the park guests and CMs. This new policy is just frustrating and aggrivating if you stay at a Disney Resort.

I just returned from a wonderful trip but was a little upset during the Extra Magic Hours. The first night we visited the Magic Kingdom and completed the attractions in Fantasy Land. Not once during this time at any attraction did the cast members ask to see our hotel room keys. This was aggrivating becasue we were in line for Peter Pan and the people in front of us were discussing directions back to the Best Western. :furious: Then we took advantage of the Extra Magic Hours at EPCOT and I was happy because they were very strict in enforcing their policy and denied people the oppertunity to get in line for Spaceship Earth. Does anyone know why Magic Kingdom doesn't care about making the lines shorter for their resort guests?? Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused3

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at the MK:sad1:
I completely understand your frustration and I would have been irritated too. We pay higher rates to stay on property and we expect the perks that go along with it. I would suggest that you either send an email, a letter, or place a phone call to someone and make a complaint. I've noticed that Disney really does listen and if this is going on and enough people say something about it, things will be changed. :thumbsup2

I never had a problem with the wristbands. This summer will be our first trip since they changed the EMH policy. I am hoping they are very stict in checking the room key cards. Personally, I would prefer that only resort guests be allowed to shop and eat after hours as well.

We hit several PM EMHs on our trip a couple weeks ago and every ride we went on the CMs checked our KTTW...MK, FtrLnd, Advtlnd, Fntsylnd, Epcot, DHS. I had never been there when they had the wristbands, but I guess I am glad they don't do that anymore...just one more thing for me to remember to go get when we get to the park.

Peter Pan always has a line and I have never been on it during evening EMH when a CM did not ask to see the wristband when those were being used, or the room key (as was the case during my last visit in May). This is not to say that it didn't happen, but it made me wonder if maybe MK was open for EMH late, yes, but perhaps the EMH hadn't yet started. For example, maybe it was 11 p.m. and the park was scheduled to be open to midnight with EMH till 2 a.m.? Just wondering because sometimes, MK is open later than you'd think, and that means that EMH starts pretty late. Just a thought!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Just got back and I noticed something similar. We upgraded to APs on our first day. I don't know why, but I totally spaced and was only carrying my room key because I didn't see any need to carry my son's key since we had our annual passes to enter the parks. On our last visit to an EMH morning, it suddenly occurred to me that I'd used my AP to enter each EMH we'd been to and had never once shown my room key to prove we were resorts guests. I had a minor panic attack on the bus when I realized that since we were on our way to an EMH and I didn't have my son's resort key. They let us in without even noticing though.

Peter Pan always has a line and I have never been on it during evening EMH when a CM did not ask to see the wristband when those were being used, or the room key (as was the case during my last visit in May). This is not to say that it didn't happen, but it made me wonder if maybe MK was open for EMH late, yes, but perhaps the EMH hadn't yet started. For example, maybe it was 11 p.m. and the park was scheduled to be open to midnight with EMH till 2 a.m.? Just wondering because sometimes, MK is open later than you'd think, and that means that EMH starts pretty late. Just a thought!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Evening magic hours are for 3 hours after the park closes. If the park is open till 11pm and has EMH, it is open till 2am for resort guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter