Extra charge for 18 year old?

Emmyfaye

Mouseketeer
Do WDW resorts charge for 18 year old children who are staying with their parents (ie, as an extra adult)?

Is there any way to avoid this charge?

I can't believe she'll use any more towels or make any more mess than the younger child!

Originally posted by Emmyfaye
Do WDW resorts charge for 18 year old children who are staying with their parents (ie, as an extra adult)?

I can't believe she'll use any more towels or make any more mess than the younger child!

An 18 year old is a young adult not a child and is charged as such. I suspect some people may lie to avoid paying the charge. Hotels frequently make concessions to families. Many places allow kids to eat free (or at a redcued price). Not charging extra for children in hotels is a similar policy. I think you have it backwards, there is no logical reason not to charge for children in the room.

Originally posted by Lewisc
An 18 year old is a young adult not a child and is charged as such. I suspect some people may lie to avoid paying the charge. Hotels frequently make concessions to families. Many places allow kids to eat free (or at a redcued price). Not charging extra for children in hotels is a similar policy. I think you have it backwards, there is no logical reason not to charge for children in the room.

I completely agree.

Yes, they do. And, no there is not unless you want to pass her off as 17 or younger. It is not the towel usage, it is the age, and the policy. Most hotels/resorts have this policy, the fact that she is your child has little or no bearing on ths situation.

Actually, most hotels where we stay allow a child to still be a child at 18 - the change comes at 19 (perhaps it's an American vs Canadian custom?)

Actually, most hotels where we stay allow a child to still be a child at 18 - the change comes at 19 (perhaps it's an American vs Canadian custom?)

Might be. Really not flames. Not very hard to lie (if that's what you want to do) BUT no one posting on these boards has the authority to make an exception for you. The real question is why do hotels and restaurants give children food and lodging for free?

Your question was how to get around paying the charge. The only answer is to lie. So far no one is passing judgement, just giving you your options. I don't have any (major) problem with people who lie, just people who try to rationalize it.

Actually I don't think you're charged for extra adults in the DVC properties (but I'm not sure).

Actually I don't think you're charged for extra adults in the DVC properties (but I'm not sure).
This is correct, but only if you are staying on points. If you book through Disney, the normal hotel rules apply.

-DC

The only way I can think of getting around the additional person charge is to get another room so that they are no more than 2 adults per room...
This wouldn't be the most cost effective way around it, but it would afford you more space and privacy and another bathroom...

-DC :)

My question was only posed to see if there are websites or whatever where one could book a room, using number of travellers versus ages of children, to effect a saving....for instance, Travelocity only notes number of travellers (although I can't seem to find any Disney properties, unlike previous trips).

And we will stay offsite, rather than pay an extra $25 or whatever.

The Disney Magic is real, but so are the inflated prices...and this is the budget board (vs the morals board) after all, which is why I asked the question.

:(

To assume that a child is an adult at age 18 is crazy. In NJ all you can do is vote and buy lottery tickets, oh and enter the service! If someone does have a full time job instead of going to college, they are certainly not at a great salary and living at home because they can't afford a place of their own.

At 18, many are in college, and we know how wealthy college students are! With all their expenses; tuition, books, car insurance, they are certainly able to afford the extra $25 or so a night that the resorts charge.

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. Assuming that an 18 year old is automatically able to fend for themselves financially is nuts! Disney is family resort. If I were in charge, I wouldn't charge extra for anyone still in college (fulltime) up to the age of 21!
(Can you tell, I have a DD in college?)

Okay, I'll put my fire suit on now!:rolleyes:

My question was only posed to see if there are websites or whatever where one could book a room, using number of travellers versus ages of children, to effect a saving....for instance, Travelocity only notes number of travellers (although I can't seem to find any Disney properties, unlike previous trips).

The Disney Magic is real, but so are the inflated prices...and this is the budget board (vs the morals board) after all, which is why I asked the question.

Sorry my post wasn't worded better, not trying to make a moral judgement just telling you the solution that (I suspect) many people use. If you're on a budget you can (almost) always get much better deals offsite. I think renting DVC points may be a solution for you.

Emmyfaye,
The funny thing is that 18 is by no means standard in the US, either.

I was a little surprised to see that some of hotels in Las Vegas charge the additional person fee at age 13!! And in some cases, they just go by occupancy numbers--no matter how old the child is. (That is can be quite a shock to the pocketbook--especially if you make certain budget assumptions in your early planning phases! )

I have also seen some cases where the resorts start adding the additional person in the room at various ages.... (I was looking at Woodstock Inn in Vermont-- we will have to pay the charge for DS when he turns 15!).

Might be. Really not flames. Not very hard to lie (if that's what you want to do) BUT no one posting on these boards has the authority to make an exception for you. The real question is why do hotels and restaurants give children food and lodging for free?

Your question was how to get around paying the charge. The only answer is to lie. So far no one is passing judgement, just giving you your options. I don't have any (major) problem with people who lie, just people who try to rationalize it.

If you are staying on rented points, no, you are not charged.

It might interest you to know that most offsite hotels charge for an extra adult also (and that age is 18).

To be blunt, every hotel/resort has a right to establish whatever policy they wish. Stay at the one that suits your needs and budget best. There is a world of competition in Orlando. Frankly, I can't remember the last time I was asked the number or age of people staying in the room. It's always been a rate for the room/suite...not the number and age of guests.

Originally posted by dcfromva
(I was looking at Woodstock Inn in Vermont-- we will have to pay the charge for DS when he turns 15!).

The Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid charges for any additional occupants over the first two in a room, even if they are infants.

Anne

Different hotel chains have different policies. Hampton Inns charge more for 2 adults than for 1, but the 3rd and 4th adults are free.

At WDW resorts, the extra adult charge (beginning at age 18) varies, depending on the level of luxury. I think it's $10 for each additional adult at value resorts, $15 more at the moderates, and $25 more at deluxe resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter