Extending your program

IWasBornToLoveDisney

DIS Veteran
Just a few quick question for those that have done a program and either extended or at least know about the extending procedure:

Who can extend?
For how long?
At what point in the program?
How does it happen?

Thanks!

I did Spring 11 and extended to Spring Advantage (so things might have changed). I would say April-ish we all got an email telling us about extensions and there was a link included in that email. On the linked page you had to fill out some info and then choose your top 5 roles for extension (you could count your current role if you wanted). They told you when you could find out and when that day came you just went to the website and it told you if your extension was approved or denied.

I THINK (don't quote me) that you can only try to extend if you have under a certain number or points, and from what I hear they do look at your points when deciding who gets approved.

You can ONLY be in any internship for a year. So if you were Spring you can extend to Spring Advantage then extend again to Fall. If you were Fall Advantage you can only extend to Spring, not Spring Advantage. If you want to apply for PIs, you can't go from two consecutive CPs into a PI, you can only apply for PIs during your first program, etc.

I will say when I extended there were definitely way more people who were denied extensions than were approved, out of the people I knew. It's not a guarantee that you will get it.

Extensions are based on two factors: operational need and housing availability. This creates a limited amount of space and your record card is the best way of making the "first cut."

The best way to improve your chances of being extended are to maintain a spotless record card. If you have more than two points, face it, you will not be extended. Even those with one point will have a very slim chance.

If you have more than two points, face it, you will not be extended. Even those with one point will have a very slim chance.

That's not entirely true. Yes, those with spotless record cards have a better chance at being extended; however, it is not the case that if you have more than one point you will automatically be rejected for extension. I am embarrassed to say I had quite a few points on my record due to some major illnesses and injuries during my SA '12 program, and yet I was able to extend from August to January in my same role and location, while some people I worked with had spotless records and were not able to extend. I did get way more GSFs on my record than any of those coworkers, though, but I don't know if that factored into it at all. But me getting extended is definitely the exception to the rule.

The moral of this story is work hard and keep your records clean, kids! But if some unfortunate circumstances do occur that force you to call in to work, know that it doesn't necessarily mean that being extended is completely outside the realm of possibility.

I did get way more GSFs on my record than any of those coworkers, though, but I don't know if that factored into it at all. But me getting extended is definitely the exception to the rule.

The moral of this story is work hard and keep your records clean, kids! But if some unfortunate circumstances do occur that force you to call in to work, know that it doesn't necessarily mean that being extended is completely outside the realm of possibility.

If I may ask, what is a GSF?

Also, I am a bit concerned about these 'points'? I understand you get points for being late or calling in...what else do you get points for? I'm afraid my DD is completely useless when she is sick :-)rotfl:) so I am worried she is going to get points should she contract her yearly massive flu/sinus infection/bronchitis if she is there in the winter! I'm surprised they penalize you for being sick....like, everywhere I've ever worked you are allowed a certain number of sick days. WOW! Seems almost harsh. Everyone gets sick sometimes! I'll be crossing my fingers for her and sending her with lots of Vitamin C if she gets in the program next year!

If I may ask, what is a GSF?

Also, I am a bit concerned about these 'points'? I understand you get points for being late or calling in...what else do you get points for? I'm afraid my DD is completely useless when she is sick :-)rotfl:) so I am worried she is going to get points should she contract her yearly massive flu/sinus infection/bronchitis if she is there in the winter! I'm surprised they penalize you for being sick....like, everywhere I've ever worked you are allowed a certain number of sick days. WOW! Seems almost harsh. Everyone gets sick sometimes! I'll be crossing my fingers for her and sending her with lots of Vitamin C if she gets in the program next year!

Guest Service Fanatic. It's a little card where a manger or someone else can sort of give you props for doing a great job. Example, I got a GSF for spending about 10 minutes helping a Portuguese family figure out how their dining plan worked...even though I don't speak Portuguese and they spoke little English. There was a lot of picture drawing and "sign language" going on! Things like that, though, different things obviously depending on the role.

One thing I would recommend when it comes to getting sick, tell your DD to NOT overexert herself right at first. At my location I worked nights almost all the time, sometimes 6 PM to 2 AM. All my roommates had the opposite schedule and worked early afternoon, so I spent the first 3 weeks trying to play all morning in the parks with them and work all night. I ended up getting so sick I lost my voice (which had NEVER happened to me in my life and I was 21 at the time). I also rarely get sick...after that I decided I should definitely get my rest and only play in the parks when I wasn't physically exhausted. Also, wash hands allllll the time, I look at Disney as a place that has a year round "flu season," especially for the employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter