explosion in Disneyland

kimbe21

Mouseketeer
Just heard on the Rachel Maddow show that there was a "dry ice" explosion in Disneyland- in Toontown. No injuries reported but everyone was evacuated. They are investigating now.

Just saw this on my ten o'clock news.....be interesting to see as this plays out. I hope no one was hurt and everyone gets out ok.

Don't hear about dry ice explosions too often... Hope all is well and the evacuation went smoothly. I'm eager to look into the details of what happened.

When my brother and I were kids we would often make these dry ice bombs in 2 liter bottles. They are fairly harmless and just make a bunch of noise. Kudos to Disney for being extra cautious.

Its being reported now that is was more like a * loud Bang*, not a explosion. Like a firecracker.

Seems this has been going on around Anaheim for a few months.

AKK

yep - it was a loud noise in a trash can.

calling it an "explosion" is just sensationalizing it...

By definition, the release of energy from a dry ice bomb is an explosion, even if it doesn't approach the magnitude of a more harmful explosion such as in Boston last month. And given those recent events, Disney was wise to handle the situation as they did; news agencies reporting in the time between the incident and confirmation of it being a dry ice bomb were correct in reporting an explosion, even if they weren't aware of the process used to create it or the relative harmlessness of it at the time.

By definition, the release of energy from a dry ice bomb is an explosion, even if it doesn't approach the magnitude of a more harmful explosion such as in Boston last month. And given those recent events, Disney was wise to handle the situation as they did; news agencies reporting in the time between the incident and confirmation of it being a dry ice bomb were correct in reporting an explosion, even if they weren't aware of the process used to create it or the relative harmlessness of it at the time.

Really just semantics here. *Loud Bang* *Loud Noise* or *explosion*.

However explosion in our society brings up the mental image of a destructive force, not a firecracker in a garbage can.

AKK

Well where would dry ice come from in the parks? Anyone working at Disney I'm sure is fully educated on what NOT to do with it. How would it have gotten in from outside the parks? Who would have a desire to try this out? I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but this warrants a little extra attention in my book.

Well where would dry ice come from in the parks? Anyone working at Disney I'm sure is fully educated on what NOT to do with it. How would it have gotten in from outside the parks? Who would have a desire to try this out? I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but this warrants a little extra attention in my book.

Dry Ice takes a while to evaporate and they allow coolers. Plus I would not be surprised if they use dry ice in the park for smoke effects.

Why would you think so? Any guest bringing in a small cooler might have been carrying it; if you wrap it in a brown paper bag (as my local ice cream shop does when you order to go), and then put it in a plastic food box, what would security notice?

Many people have no clue that dry ice can do this; the only precaution that people who don't use it often tend to know is not to touch it with bare hands. It wouldn't even have had to have been in a true closed container; if it was dropped in a trash can and then got covered with a heavy layer of add'l trash, it might still build up pressure.

Now if someone had stashed it behind a prop in a ride line, I'd agree with you, but any moron could drop wrapped dry ice in a trash can without realizing that it could explode.

A 22 year-old cast member (who sold soda/water from a cart) has been arrested in connection with this.

Don't they use dry ice to cool the drinks? Makes more sense now

Hmmmm whad'ya know! http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/29/travel/california-disney-explosion/index.html

Disney does not use dry ice in their snack carts in the park because it's much to dangerous to handle causing potential burns when it comes in direct contact with skin. I could see them using it in attractions like the Haunted Mansion but I'm pretty sure it's never left just lying around. It's certainly not something you would put in a bottle you were drinking from! Here's an informative little podcast from a few years back that's worth listening to...Disney has in fact been a target in the past for terrorism.

http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=20110911181809737&query=jim+hill

20 years ago we were doing this in physics class to show the affects of vapor preassure. I have to admit I enjoyed those classes. would never dream of doing it in a public place, although a person did it in our shop (we use dry ice to help assmble parts) a few years back that was an interseting day.

article I just read said that he set of 2 that day and that the dry ice did come from the cart he worked at. The info came out at the arraignment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter