Explore Disney Resorts on day off?

allie98

Earning My Ears
Hi all -

We're heading down to WDW for the 1st time next month! :cool1:

We have a 4-day park hopper ticket, but will be there for 5 full days. On our day off, I figured we'd just go to Downtown Disney and Disney's Boardwalk. I have made an ADR for Boma that evening - so thought it might be fun to explore Animal Kingdom Lodge beforehand if we had extra time.

My question is, are there any resorts that are worth exploring? Anything cool to see while there?

Also - is there any cool places for dinner at Disney's Boardwalk? I'm still iffy on Boma, and if there is any MUST-EAT places at the Boardwalk, I'm all ears. Might be fun to start the day at Downtown Disney, then explore a few resorts, then finish the day off at the Boardwalk...but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

1-My question is, are there any resorts that are worth exploring?

Also

2- is there any cool places for dinner at Disney's Boardwalk?

1- Grand Floridian, (as mentioned) Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.

2- ESPN Club, Kouzzina, Flying Fish, Big River Bar & Grill

I'm with you :). Next time we go will we think we are going to explore some of the resorts as we haven't ever done that. I personally am excited about the Boardwalk!

I'd highly recommend Boma - and yes, give yourself an hour or more to explore the AK Lodge before dinner. There are things in the lobby to see and do, the building itself is awesome, and the outside area has some neat things to see and do. You might not see any animals, but that's OK - the food is really great, so all-in-all, this is a great choice.

As for around the Boardwalk > there are a number of neat places but I generally find them to be less of a value than I like. I have no issue spending money on a meal, but it seems around the boardwalk the offerings range from a low of ESPN to a high of Shula's - and all seem not to be a value to me, each leaving me feel more ripped off than delighted.

With one exception - Beaches and Cream!

Their burgers are simple but tasty and the price isn't outrageous for the quality delivered. It is NOT high end and the place can be noisy and crowded. But we love it.

2- ESPN Club, Kouzzina, Flying Fish, Big River Bar & Grill

ESPN - great for the TVs, but not so much the food.
Kouzzina - not been. Will check it out.
Flying Fish - this was interesting and I forgot about it. Fairly high-end seafood, well prepared, healthy, etc. I'd recommend.
Big River Grill - eh, I've been but not a fan. Not horrible, just not that special.

We like to hop the resort monorail and explore the monorail resorts! We usually park at one of those resorts (after telling the guard that we just want to explore) and hop on the monorail...it's very relaxing...plus it's the ONLY way I get to set foot into my dream resort--the Grand Floridian:lovestruc We also love the boardwalk resorts and stroll around those.

I've never understood going to WDW and taking a day "off." I know some people do that... but I don't get it. I'll eat dinner or something at a resort I'm not staying at and check it out and all then -- but I just don't go around gazing at hotels all day, no matter how nice they are.

Boma is DEFINITELY a must-do! I think you've got more than enough to do on your "off day". You can spend lots of time at Downtown Disney -- if you're there for lunch try Earl of Sandwich. Also, the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a really great place to explore. Go out to the savannah viewing spots, speak with the cultural representatives from Africa. They will be able to tell you about the animals, and about where they live, etc.

The Boardwalk is another great area to walk around. There are shops, restaurants, and you can easily walk around the Boarwalk over to the Yacht & Beach Club resorts.

Our favorite place to eat while at the Boardwalk is to jump the boat across the lagoon, or walk, to the Beach club and eat at Beaches and Cream....or just to go get some great ice cream...we also like the Cape May Clam bake at the Beach Club....

We also like to go to the Poly resort to look around and the All Stars...I know the All Stars arent your typical "hey I wanna see them resorts" but the larger than life Icons at each bldg are pretty cool to see....

Too me the Grand Floridian is nothing special to see...but thats just me...Wilderness and AK lodge are the 2 best

I've never understood going to WDW and taking a day "off." I know some people do that... but I don't get it. I'll eat dinner or something at a resort I'm not staying at and check it out and all then -- but I just don't go around gazing at hotels all day, no matter how nice they are.

We have the 4-day Military Salute Ticket...or else we would have definitely bought the 5-day hopper ticket. Thought about just buying a one-day ticket for the extra day, but figured Downtown Disney, the Boardwalk and walking thru some gorgeous resorts might be just as fun and a good 'break' mid-week between all the theme parks. :goodvibes

Boma is DEFINITELY a must-do! I think you've got more than enough to do on your "off day". You can spend lots of time at Downtown Disney -- if you're there for lunch try Earl of Sandwich.

Already got Earl of Sandwich on my itinerary for lunch!! Everyone makes it sound too good to pass up! :)

We have the 4-day Military Salute Ticket...or else we would have definitely bought the 5-day hopper ticket. Thought about just buying a one-day ticket for the extra day, but figured Downtown Disney, the Boardwalk and walking thru some gorgeous resorts might be just as fun and a good 'break' mid-week between all the theme parks. :goodvibes

In that case, I'd get a one-day ticket to Universal and check out the competition...

I'm still iffy on Boma

Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying I am the world's pickiest eater- I don't eat foods that are mixed, foods that touch, "ethnic foods" (so no Chinese lunch buffet, tacos, sushi, etc), foods that have a weird texture, or foods that are otherwise strange to me.

Gourmet to me= chicken tenders and a fancy barbeque sauce.

That being said, I'd probably donate a kidney and allow someone to cut off my right arm if it meant I could eat at Boma tonight. It's my favorite restaurant on property, and the sole reason that I got up at 4:45 AM to make my ADRs on my 180 day mark. The food is amazing, and not at all spicy (it's mostly sweet spices).

The lodge is a beautiful place and there is a ton to do before and after dinner. Enjoy watching the animals, using the night vision goggles, and just taking it all in

Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying I am the world's pickiest eater- I don't eat foods that are mixed, foods that touch, "ethnic foods" (so no Chinese lunch buffet, tacos, sushi, etc), foods that have a weird texture, or foods that are otherwise strange to me.

Gourmet to me= chicken tenders and a fancy barbeque sauce.

That being said, I'd probably donate a kidney and allow someone to cut off my right arm if it meant I could eat at Boma tonight. It's my favorite restaurant on property, and the sole reason that I got up at 4:45 AM to make my ADRs on my 180 day mark. The food is amazing, and not at all spicy (it's mostly sweet spices).

The lodge is a beautiful place and there is a ton to do before and after dinner. Enjoy watching the animals, using the night vision goggles, and just taking it all in

WOW! That's awesome! I'm actually all for it - but my boyfriend was the one that wasn't too into it. I made the ADR, then had second thoughts because I want us to BOTH enjoy dinner. But you sound picker than the bf :), so it might work out after all!! Thanks!

That's a glowing recommendation, we have resizes there in September and you made me so excited!

Love, love, love Boma! And I agree that AK is an amazing place to visit.

Ditto the suggestion to visit WL and the monorail resorts. You might consider a meal at O'hana at the Polynesian if you decide against Boma. We love to take the monorail to the resorts and just look around, dream about staying there. You could even take the boat from the Contemporary to the WL.

Oh- and don't miss the carrot soup at Boma. I know, sounds weird, but it is DELICIOUS! Make sure you go hungry and save room for the desserts!

I've never understood going to WDW and taking a day "off." I know some people do that... but I don't get it.

Because "going to Disney World" and "going on vacation" don't have to be mutually exclusive. When we go in the off peak times and the parks close early, we don't always take a day off, (though my wife is pretty insistent that no trip to WDW should include more than 3 consecutive days of park visits). But when we go at times when the parks are open late, or extra late, crawling out of bed for RD after closing down the MK at 2:00 a.m. tends to be a really bad idea. Everyone is tired and cranky. Everyone seems to react much better to sleeping in and spending the day by the pool, renting water mice, relaxing over a calm lunch and dressing for a nice dinner at a high end restaurant like V&A, bluezoo, California Grill, Citricos or the like. We really enjoy things like this, and find that they fit in best when we plan (or don't plan, as the case may be) a day off where we enjoy the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter