• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Explains a lot of US citizens' financial woes

I have a cell phone. We took out the home phone, so it is my family's primary phone and I do use it for work calls as well. My bill is $59 a month. DH has a cell via work. DS on a Tracfone but he is not a talker so I am getting off cheap there so far!

I really WANT an iphone. DS knows I would like one too, but he also knows my extra money for that is sunk into his trumpet rental and monthly guitar lessons. I think it is important to talk about needs and wants so your kids learn about economic decisions.

Since I am not getting an iphone, I've been reading up here on the DIS on cheaper cell phone options! Thanks a lot everyone!

In a new study, one in five adults said they pay more for their cell phone monthly than they do for groceries.

Furthermore, 33% responded they pay more in carrier monthly charges than they pay for utilities like electric, gas and water, 57% pay more than for cable, and the huge 71% pay more in cell phone bill than their home Internet service costs

So what?:confused3 My Car costs more than all my utilities and cable combined. My car costs more than I spend a month on groceries. Does that mean something? A lot of us here spend more on our Disney vacation than we do on our retirement fund. Does that mean we are messed up?

That's the beauty of our system. It's my money. I get to spend it on whatever I want. And you get to spend your money on what you want. And Kim Kardashian can spend hers the way she wants.

I'm sure that there can be many interpretations of the study, based on who you are.

For example, I have a lot of young people work for me. Four or five young people share a house.....their share of the utilities will be low. They go to Starbucks for breakfast and take some fruit and granola bars for lunch, or a sandwich, and maybe eat at mom and dads for dinner, or go out with friends. Of course their grocery bill will be lower.

Now if you interviewed me....I have 2 kids left at home and a bigger middle class house. We have a family cell phone plan for five and it includes 4 smart phones. It may be more than my electric bill. Who really cares?

Julia

Huh?

The rising cost of gasoline, health care, medical deductibles, and the need to fund retirements doesn't contribute to the problems most people are having in managing their cash?

Cell phones? Gimme a break.

In a new study, one in five adults said they pay more for their cell phone monthly than they do for groceries.

Furthermore, 33% responded they pay more in carrier monthly charges than they pay for utilities like electric, gas and water, 57% pay more than for cable, and the huge 71% pay more in cell phone bill than their home Internet service costs

Hmm, I have to think about this... Our cell phone bill is our largest utility bill in the summer, but during the winter when the heat is running gas and electric edge it out by a bit. But none of our utilities cost more than a week's groceries and our cell phone bill isn't especially high, our other bills are just relatively low. Only the cell phone and the winter bills for both heating utilities ever top more than $100/mo.

Paying more for a cell phone than for home internet is a no-brainer; our home internet (high speed) costs $30/mo. Even a cheap pre-paid phone often costs more than that!

I think you will also find that technology bills vary dramatically from state to state and region to region. Basic cable in my town is over $125 and rising. That's basic....nothing enhanced, no HBO, digital, or Showtime. In speaking with others, cable is significantly cheaper in other parts of the country.

These companies are smart enough to realize that different areas can support different price points.

If you want to explain American financial woes...

chart.gif

(an incomplete snapshot, since it omits energy and food prices which only compound the problem of flat incomes)

But that's not a popular explanation because there's no "personal responsibility" blame-game to play, and we all want to believe that our decisions are the sole determination of success or failure.

For those who are saying so what and what does this mean?

To me, at least, it is showing necessities vs. luxuries and where they are falling. Now one aspect I would like to have seen addressed is whether or not they have cc debt or other.

Cell phones - ALMOST entirely are a luxury and even fewer data plans on them can come close to being considered even somewhat needed. I know many, MANY parents of older teens/young adults who say their child cannot afford to move out OR afford to pay their own car insurance. And then I follow it up with 'But does he/she own a phone and a data plan?'. Need vs. want. For whatever reason this is a luxury that many are not willing to give up, even if it for a necessity like food.

I would have to have some Cadillac cell phone plan to pay more than I do in groceries. My FIOS bundle which includes home phone (with voicemail, TV, and cell phones for 4 with 3 data plans) costs less than my WEEKLY groceries.

Maybe we just eat too much ;)

I was going to ask that very same question. How much is your grocery bill? Because our FIOS bundle is more than our weekly grocery bill. We have home internet, cable television, home phone, and 4 dumb cell phones (no data),

But we spend less than $100 a week on groceries.

To me, at least, it is showing necessities vs. luxuries and where they are falling. Now one aspect I would like to have seen addressed is whether or not they have cc debt or other.

As was pointed out earlier, the parameters, ages, location and living situations of those surveyed make a huge difference.

Surveys can easily be skewed to say whatever you want them to say.

Cell phones haven't been the cause of financial woes in this country. Like Colleen showed, flat incomes combined with rising costs of everything greatly contributed to the financial problems.

I would have to have some Cadillac cell phone plan to pay more than I do in groceries. My FIOS bundle which includes home phone (with voicemail, TV, and cell phones for 4 with 3 data plans) costs less than my WEEKLY groceries.

Maybe we just eat too much ;)

Heck yeah! My average monthly grocery bill is $500. :rotfl:

CC debt would be a much more telling stat because that would indicate a disparity between income and expenses (both optional and essential).

The thing about utilities is that they are fairly fixed, and therefore the relationship between them isn't all that telling. When our income goes up, our electric, gas, water, etc. don't follow - we use what we need either way. But when our income goes up our cell phone bill might follow, ie adding lines for the kids that we wouldn't pay for in tough times but find it convenient to have when we can well afford it. That doesn't mean we value the cell phones more than basic utilities or groceries, it just means that we get all we need of those things at a fairly low cost.

Hmmm. It occurs to me that this could be a misleading statistic (or, in other words, a statistic just like the majority of them):

- A young person who lives at home with parents might have an abnormally low grocery bill.
- A person who hits the drive-through for breakfast, goes out with co-workers for lunch, then has leftovers or makes something small (after eating those two large meals earlier in the day) might be spending big money on food . . . but little of it at the grocery store.
- A person on food stamps or WIC could be bringing home a large amount of groceries, yet not actually paying much for them.
- And perhaps the biggest of all: So many people just run into the store 2-3 Xs a week, grab whatever looks good, and go (sometimes paying cash, sometimes paying with plastic). If they spend $30, $40, $50 each time, they might never add up the actual food cost, and they might underestimate it badly -- people do tend not to grasp just how much those little costs add up. In contrast, the cell phone bill shows up as a nice big number at the end of the month, making it easier to track.
So what's the problem? People put priorities where they want to place them. If folks think their cell phones are more important than food or lights, that's on them.
If that were true, I would be fine with it.

But the truth is that all too many people overspend on this and that (cell phones are a great example, but hardly the whole story), then when they find that they can't pay comfortably, they wail and gnash their teeth . . . crying that things are just too expensive and the government should do something about it. And many of those people go on to do things that hurt our collective society -- things like fall into debt, perhaps declare bankruptcy, fall behind on their mortgage and then walk away, drop "invisible bills" like insurance, rely upon us to pay for their kids' school lunches, and more. And in the long run, they won't be able to retire, so they'll stay on in their jobs; that means that I can't move up the ladder to another job, and when my kid finishes school she can't get an entry level job.

No, when large numbers of people in a society live beyond their means, it does affect the rest of us.

If you're paying a huge cell phone bill and can afford it -- fine! But IF this statistic is honest, it strikes me as rather scary.
So what?:confused3 My Car costs more than all my utilities and cable combined. My car costs more than I spend a month on groceries. Does that mean something? A lot of us here spend more on our Disney vacation than we do on our retirement fund. Does that mean we are messed up?
You're asking, but I don't think you really want my opinion.
Cell phones - ALMOST entirely are a luxury and even fewer data plans on them can come close to being considered even somewhat needed.
A phone of some type is a need -- okay, you won't die without it, but you really do need phone communication to keep in touch with family, friends, work, to make business calls.

In my opinion, what's a luxury is maintaining both a house and a cell phone. You can only talk on one at a time, and the portability gives the cell phone an edge. Also, the data plan is a luxury. We don't actually need to check facebook all day long, we can read maps instead of using the locator feature, and we can wait 'til we get home for most of our search-needs.
CC debt would be a much more telling stat because that would indicate a disparity between income and expenses (both optional and essential).
I agree, but this is an interesting comparison.

We pay 8 bucks a month so the kids can watch their Disney shows on netflix on our ancient, square, TV from 1997 :rotfl:

We bought our "new" TV in 1995! We've had the old one since 1991. They are big and awkward, but they work and the reception is fine. We always think about getting new flat screens, but can't bring ourselves to replace TV's that work perfectly well!

You should see our fridge! :rotfl:

To stay on topic, DH, DD, and I each have a tracfone. I spend about $150 a YEAR on mine and DH's combined; DD's runs more like $150 for just hers. At home we have high speed wireless/extended cable/land line for $75 a month. I keep thinking we should drop the land line, but we can't get decent cell reception at home, and I really don't want to just use a cell. Of course, we probably only use the home phone about once a week; we just don't call many people, and do lots of our communication and business via the internet (just refinanced the mortgage and have never spoken to the bank after the first meeting; it's ALL been done via email and fax).

We have Tracfones as well. $99 for a year service and 1400 minutes so I'm good. DH has 3000 minutes because he never uses them and they keep rolling over.

I'm really interested with the entire parameters of this survey. Even if you add all of our utilities, cable (and internet), and our cell phone bill ... it's still less than our groceries. We have too many cable channels, we both have iphones, and we live in Florida so we run our a/c nearly everyday of the year except maybe three weeksr. Not much less, but still less. We're trying to get our grocery bill down, and I've threatened to cut our cable, but my bf would die.

We have no credit card debt, and we're really trying to get our grocery bill down but we eat every.single.meal at home. I'm so over cooking, lol. I pack my dd's lunch for school, and she won't eat sandwiches ... usually it's a hot meal for her (usually leftovers, but not always) Our cell phone bill is about what we spend per week for groceries ... sigh. I WISH I could spend my cell phone bill for groceries for the month.

reginaastralis said:
I'm really interested with the entire parameters of this survey. Even if you add all of our utilities, cable (and internet), and our cell phone bill ... it's still less than our groceries. We have too many cable channels, we both have iphones, and we live in Florida so we run our a/c nearly everyday of the year except maybe three weeksr. Not much less, but still less. We're trying to get our grocery bill down, and I've threatened to cut our cable, but my bf would die.

We have no credit card debt, and we're really trying to get our grocery bill down but we eat every.single.meal at home. I'm so over cooking, lol. I pack my dd's lunch for school, and she won't eat sandwiches ... usually it's a hot meal for her (usually leftovers, but not always) Our cell phone bill is about what we spend per week for groceries ... sigh. I WISH I could spend my cell phone bill for groceries for the month.

I agree. It really makes no sense to me. Our cell bill is about $ 120 or two iPhones. Even when we add two more phones in the next few years, I can't see our bill being over $200, and hopefully less than that. We spend $700 on groceries for our family of 4. Those people either have the worst phone plans ever or never eat.

And my gas/ electric are $350/month on balanced billing, so that's not true for me either, although I see some who posted have very low utility bills, so that seems more possible.

But are they saying this is bad? Or is it you putting that spin on it?

Maybe the respondents were simply telling it how it is. Phone stuff is high, the other things are not. Yay for the other things not being too expensive!

We do get some of our bill refunded by DH's company b/c he *has to have* a certain level of phone for reachability, but even with that refund, sure, we pay more for our phones (which now includes my MIL as an add-on) than we pay for power. We have cheap power out here! Oh and water is included on that bill, as well as sewer.

Doesn't come close to touching groceries, but we have a big grocery budget.

Being reachable, and being able to reach out, feels more important than cable, don't you think? Don't you think it makes sense? When I had a home phone, that bill was high, too. Phone costs can be high! I guess I just don't see a problem with it, based on a survey of people just telling the survey-takers what their bills are like.

And we should feel very lucky that we don't live in other countries where groceries are stupendously high. DH travels for work, and trying to keep to his per diem AND eat healthfully when a bag of 4 oranges costs the equivalent of $40 is HARD. 4 stinkin' oranges. (this is Tokyo) He takes things like pine nuts out to his Korean relatives when he travels there for work, because they cost around $50 over there, and $11 for a huge bag at Costco here. Vitamins, same thing. It's tremendously expensive *just to live* in other countries.

I mention that b/c the title brings up the country: "Explains a lot of US citizens' financial woes", when other countries have other things worse than we do.

II remember reading that now the acceptable H.S. graduation gift is a car. :scared: a car!! with the price of tuition kids expect wheels when they graduate. :drive:

I just don't see us going back

I graduated HS in '87. Kids didn't get a car for graduation, because they *already had cars* from their 16th birthdays. I grew up in a really wealthy area (though I was one of the poor kids) and was surrounded by things like that. I got to drive the Pinto while learning to drive. ooooh. Then, when my mom needed it b/c she worked further away, I went back and forth to school in her bought-dirt-cheap (and restored at home by my then-stepdad) '55 Chevy. This did NOT compare to the Camaros and IROCs and Fieros and all the other insane vehicles in the school parking lot (though I actually thought it was cooler).

This is NOTHING new. Except that now parents are making kids delay getting that new car, since, as I mentioned, at my HS in '87 they already had them.

Hmm...for two smartphones with unlimited data, we the amount we pay is:

- MUCH less than a month's worth of groceries (more like a week's worth of groceries or less).

- more than each individual bill for electric, gas, etc., but less than their combined total...but then our gas bill is only like $15 some months.

- more than cable because we don't have cable at all.

- more than home internet, but it's two phones that can connect to the internet from virtually anywhere, so that seems fair to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter