explain how charges work w/ bands. Can I use gift card?

FosterA

DIS Veteran
Usually I just pay cash for food on vacation. (lots of tips with job). I see Sam's Club has $500 Disney gift cards for around $480 I believe. What I would like to do is buy one of these cards but still just use the bands to charge meals. I'll be with older kids who may not be with me at meal times so I want everyone to just use their bands versus looking for me with the card.
So, can I see charges each night and then go down and have it deducted from gift card? Or do I just leave the gift card with them starting w/ first day? Or just let it all run up on a regular credit card but pay off with gift card? um??
Also..I like to just check my charges nightly to make sure it's legit, am I able to see that anywhere like on the app or website? Or does that require going up to the front desk for daily print out?
thanks!

Just to add to the above post, make sure you do apply your gift cards against your balance every couple of days. Once you hit a particular amount in room charges, it automatically hits your credit card. And definitely be sure to clear all your charges the night before you check out - the balance will hit your credit card overnight.

It's very easy to get a print-out of your charges, and very easy to make a payment against your room charge. Can be a little time-consuming depending on how busy the front desk is, however.

So, if I am at a restaurant, can I pay my bill directly with a gift card right then? Or I have to use my band and pay it off at the desk later?

Just to clarify--you can use the gift card right then, for the entire cost of the meal, tax and tip too?

Just to clarify--you can use the gift card right then, for the entire cost of the meal, tax and tip too?
Yes, inside the parks any place that can take credit cards will take a gift card. On our last trip we used a Disney Visa rewards card as a gift card and used that almost exclusively for a few days until it ran dry, then switched to magic band charging. Used it at quick serve, to buy drinks, at Be Our Guest, and for some sunglasses at EPCOT after my wife forget hers in the room. No problem anywhere.

I just came back on the 12th, and on my first night I was ABLE to put/add all my gift cards on my room account.

To pay off the balance of a room only reservation? Or as a credit to spend against?

At one point they told me I couldn't put it on my account as a credit, but that would be a nice change if you could now add a credit at check in.

For those who may not know, disneygiftcard.com allows you to consolidate gift cards. I like to buy one every time I go to the grocery store to get fuel points, and then I'm saving up for the trip gradually as well. The max you can put on one card is $1000, but I was able to consolidate all of my small gift cards to make paying for an AP upgrade much simpler. I only had to use two cards to pay instead of over a dozen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter