**Expiring EHIC Cards**

cap'njack.

Totally in love with Lisa_C
I have no idea if this has been posted before since the search function disspeared :rolleyes:

I'm trying to make everyone aware that your EHIC Cards actually expire I believe that they are only valid for three years from first issue.

My Grandparents brought this up to me and when we checked Ellie's had expired in January 2008!! So we spent the whole of the last year including three trips to DLRP with no EHIC cover in an emergency (which was made worse by the fact she was pregnant and could not get insurance)

Please, please all check your EHIC cards...just incase!!

good tip jon. me and ash have just got ours last year but my moms will be up this year. its something you could easily forget

Thanks for that John:thumbsup2 - just had a slight panic as we're off to Cyprus in 5 weeks! To be honest I had no idea they even had an expiry date!

Just checked and thankfully we're ok as they don't expire until 02/09/2010:thumbsup2

The EHIC website states that the cards will be valid for up to 5 years.

It also says that you can re-apply online but will need your pin number? I've just spoken to the enquiry line as I suddenly realised I hadn't changed our address when we moved 2 years ago:eek: so while I was on I asked where I get the pin number from - apparently it is the 'UK' number printed on the 3rd line down (same line as your date of birth)!!

Thanks for that:thumbsup2. Have just been to check ours. We misplaced our original set (still haven't found it lol) and I called them up as we needed them pretty quickly. They were really good and the cards arrived pretty quickly. I can't remember how long/quick it took them but I definitely remember being very impressed lol. Ours is valid for 3 yrs.

I haven't had an EHIC card, or an E111, for about 20 years, as we usually had holidays away from the EU. What advantage does the EHIC give over travel insurance :confused3?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.

Everyone who is resident in the UK should have one and carry it with them when travelling abroad. Remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Applying for the card is free and it's valid for up to five years.

Presenting the EHIC entitles you to treatment that may become necessary during your trip, but doesn't allow you to go abroad specifically to receive medical care. However, maternity care, renal dialysis and managing the symptoms of pre-existing or chronic conditions that arise while abroad are all covered by the EHIC.

Your EHIC will allow you access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country you are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, you might be expected to do the same. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property.

For these reasons and others, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.

More info available here - http://www.nhs.uk/EHIC/Pages/About.aspx

Thanks for the reminder Cap'n, ours expire later on this year and although we're not planning on going to Europe this summer I've made a calendar note to remember to renew them. Well, you never know, our numbers may come up! :rotfl:

Another thing worth remembering is that photo driving licenses have to be renewed every 10 years. Wayne (Wayneg) posted a reminder on the UKTP board about this a few days ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter