Expired ticket

sasywtch

DIS Veteran
I have spoken to a lead on the phone but wondering if anyone else has ever done this and how it went. I was suppose to go two years ago with son/grandkids but due to medical issues, couldn't go. I have an expired 3 day hopper bought from AAA with no amount on it and no receipt.

They said they can run the bar code when I get there to see it was never used and give me the value of it two years ago (have absolutely no idea what I bought it for) and apply that to what I now want to buy. Anyone ever done this? Anyone remember what 3 day hoppers cost from AAA 2 years ago??? (long shot, I know).

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to buy. I may get the 4 day hopper or I may get the deluxe AP with payments since I'm in N. CA. They said that even though it's blocked out that Sunday on the 15th, I could still use the AP since the first time you use it, it's considered a regular ticket. Never heard of that either Anyone else bought an AP and used it on the first day even though it was a block out day for that AP?

I found the following non-discounted prices for 2012/2013:
Early 2012: $224
After May 20, 2012: $250
After June 2, 2013: $260

Right now, the AAA discount is about 2.8%, so that might be a place to start. At least the non-discounted price will give you an upper bound on what the tickets could be possibly worth.

I've heard that folks were able to use a newly activated/purchased AP on a blockout date if that was the first day of use. I've also read about some folks having problems or being told that they would not be able to enter the parks, so I'm not really sure how things work now. Could you purchase the 4-day PH and use it on Sunday and then upgrade on Monday?

You would think only a week away I'd have this figured out? I'm trying to get motivated (slowly getting there). In the last month I've had an ultrasound, CAT scan and colonoscopy so trying to get the excitement up for the trip. My grandkids were just told they were going as their parents were keeping it a secret but couldn't hold it in anymore so now the big secret is, is that me and my other daughter are meeting them there. They are leaving Friday the 13th to visit relatives, my daughter and I are driving early am the 14th. I'm thinking my daughter and I could be eating our free Earl Of Sandwich and they come walking out of the Grand and see us. (that gets me excited). Anyway, thank you for the help. I did write down the lead's name and time I called in case I had a problem with using the AP that Sunday.

I went Spring Break 2013 with friends. For some reason, $237 is popping up in my head. I'm almost positive this is the price we paid, and would assume the same for you, unless you purchased after the increase that occurred at the end of May 2013.

I have a similar question: we were supposed to go in November and hubby got sick. Well, I thought to cancel everything I needed to but neglected to check the multi-day ticket I had purchased from ARes Travel. By the time I looked at it, I saw that it had expired. I called the company but they would not extend it. Has anyone had any luck with Disney taking such a ticket anyway?

Yes I've used Annual Pass on Day 1 (blockout day), no problem. You must get a paper "blockout pass" from the ticket booth (free) when purchasing-- do not leave without one. Take that to the turnstiles with you. I have also heard of people having problems, but I don't think they were given this pass and just didn't think to ask for it.

Another idea (if staying off-site): I would start with a 4-day Parker Hopper from your AAA exchange (lucky). Use that new ticket Sunday, Monday, and for Magic Morning at Disneyland Tuesday. Then upgrade to Deluxe AP later in the day-- either Tuesday or Wednesday. MUST be upgraded before closing on your final Park day (Wednesday?). This way you get Early Entry on Tuesday which can't be done with AP.
*This means two visits to the ticket booth and you will not have any AP discounts (food, merchandise) until you upgrade. So judge for yourself and just delay any souvenirs until you have the AP.

IF staying at a DL hotel, you have Early Entry already. Just go for the AP (and blockout pass) right away-- and start using your AP discounts. Also: you should be able to book an AP discount rate at the hotels by phone. But will need to sort out the AP upgrade/blockout pass at check-in time. Since you are checking in Saturday, be sure Day 1 and blockout Pass are for Sunday.

I had thought about recommending getting the 4-day PH in advance as well so they could take advantage of MM, but I don't think they would be able to apply the value of their expired tickets to the purchase of the new ticket. And unfortunately, you have to pre-purchase the ticket to qualify for MM; a friend bought her ticket at the Disneyland ticket booth (5-day park hopper), but it wasn't eligible for MM.

Ohhh bummer, good catch. Yes they do need to be purchased in advance, which is what we did. I've never bought Park Hoppers at the booth.

*OK scratch that Magic Morning idea (unless staying onsite). If going for the AP, just get that blockout pass on Day 1. They scan with your AP at the gate, and off you go.

Yes, I've used a Deluxe AP on the blockout date as my 1st day and there was no issue. Or you can just get a normal ticket and before you leave, upgrade it to an AP. Then you won't have to worry about blockout dates while you are there.

I also had an expired, unused ticket. I first went to City Hall and they told me to mail the ticket in and they would send me Disney credit back. I never got around to it and years later, I went to the ticket booth outside the parks and they simply scanned the ticket, told me how much it was worth at that time and said I could apply it to a current purchase.

Wow I would be a little nervous mailing in that ticket (versus taking to ticket booth). But that would be pretty cool and add some flexibility. Thanks for the tip

Did you ever determine the price you paid for the tix in 2011, Sasy? If not, can your AAA rep help you? Hope everything goes well for you and that you have a GREAT trip!!!!!!!

No, I'm guessing around $200 but to be honest, if they gave me 100 off I'd be a happy camper. I was expecting to pay around 300 before I thought to call about the expired ticket. We are staying with son and dil for a few days at the Grand so lucking out on the early entry. Thank you everyone for your input.

Thanks for posting this thread! I was about to purchase a new ticket for our upcoming trip but thought I would check the Disboards to see if anyone had luck in using an expired ticket ( we misplaced a child ticket before our visit last year and I recently found it). Happy to hear I should be able to put the value of the expired ticket towards a new one! :yay:

Thank you. It's been a couple of months now and have forgotten exactly what they gave me but I do know I paid $40 for a 4 day hopper with the expired ticket

The regular price was $250. As far as I could tell, the AAA price was the same as the DL price, but came with parking included. I remember in July 2013 I went and upgraded a $275 4-day PH to a $290 5-day PH just before my 4th use. I made sure to use my parking first. The new ticket didn't note that parking was included. My wife just slept in the hotel and we just used her ticket for parking the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter