Expert help please..has anyone rescheduled due to crowds or wished they had?

molenda

Earning My Ears
Hi-

Earlier this year, after much deliberation I booked a trip the second week of May (7th -14th) and now I see it was probably one of the busiest times I could have chosen. I feel foolish for picking that particular week and it has put a major damper on my feelings about the trip. I want to be excited, but I am concerned that the trip will be a disappointment even if we get to the parks super-early and follow a plan.

I keep thinking that I should reschedule for the fall or something, but that has its drawbacks as well. First, I would have to wait that much longer to go! Also, I have a suspicion that the fall (Oct, Nov) could be busier than usual as well. But I am hoping that rescheduling would at least alleviate the feeling that I have made a mistake. I haven't been to WDW since I was a kid and now I am bringing my own young children. I would love some advice from someone who has traveled during an unexpectedly busy time and what they would do in the same situation. Thanks! :sad2:

I really don't think you'll have much of a problem that week. Yes, it's crowded, but not as bad as you think. Most kids are still in school, so weekdays won't be bad. Just go early in the day, and watch for unusual times/closings because that's a popular time for grad nights/special events.

Of all the times we've been to disney we feel that our May 6-14 trip was the best combination of weather/crowds/hours.

Jenny

I think you just have pre-trip anxiety---that point where you start questioning all of your plans, from your park days to your resort to the weather to the priority seating, etc.

I think you picked a wonderful time to go----the weather should be near perfect, kids still in school, etc.

If you reschedule in the fall, you're right---it may be just as crowded. Plus, you'll have HURRICANE SEASON to contend with.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Don't fret!!!!! Just go. You could not have predicted crowds and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

People Watch - that's always fun and intersting.

We are used to going in Sept so all this talk of busy May crowds is making me a little nervous too. We are getting Annual Passes this year so I will be able to make up for it if i don't get to see everything this trip

We prefer the begining of May over any other time of year. We've visited then multiple times and was NEVER disappointed. It hardly ever rains. Most of the attractions are open after winter rehabs. And, we've never had a problem with crowds, especially in the morning.
I'm actually jealous. Our girls are getting to old to miss school for a week or two so we must now go in the soggy crowded summer. Poor me, I have to spend two weeks at disney in the summer ;) .

If you just do your homework on these boards, as you obviously are doing,
even if it is a little crowded, you can make it a non factor.

Use the EMH early AM parks--get there early, and then get out before noon and get the kids some rest, then hop to another park. Use the EMH PM parks, but not for that whole day--go to them in the late afternoon.

I think the only way crowds can ruin it for anyone is if they go only to one park per day--then you are at the mercy of the crowds at that park, and cannot control your schedule. It's amazing how the herd mentality works at WDW, and you can play it to your advantage if you've prepared!

We almost changed our dates when we found out about the Celebration, but some good people here at the DIS talked us into sticking to our original plan. :disrocks: We've been the last 2 Mays and weather and crowds have been wonderful. I don't see the Celebration having that big an effect on crowds. Schools are still in session. I believe the reasoning for everyone thinking it's going to be so busy the 2nd week lies in the Hotel availability. But you can't rely on that because there are conventions and a Triathalon going on that week. Those people don't always go to the parks. Anyway, I could be wrong, so if it is too crowded, I will almost regret that I didn't change our dates, and we'll just have to go again in the fall. :earboy2:

I went through this same thing when I found out that this last week in April is NOT going to be a light time as it usually is. I seriously considered changing my ressies to mid May. However, I decided in the end that it was just too much trouble and, yes, I think the pre-trip anxiety was just getting to me.

Yes, it will be more crowded, but the important thing will be that I am at WDW with someone I really want to be there with. I will use my info of the parks and experience to navigate my way around the crowds as best I can. Get there early, use the FP's, and just relax and enjoy yourself. I don't think the crowds will bother you as much as you think once you are there....for one simple reason....you are in WDW. Remember, there are a lot of alternatives...if you find one park too crowded, take a break at the hotel, or hop to another park that is marked as a light day for that area. In April, I think the only big problem will be with the MK as it is the busiest theme park in the entire World. I can imagine that the Summertime has all the parks tied up pretty good. I haven't braved the world during that time since the opening year of MGM and said, "never again" will I goto WDW during the Summer...I haven't since and won't ever...the heat mixed with the crowds just works one's patience WAY too much.

Take a breathe and take comfort in the fact that your first plan and first gut feeling is most likely the best one for you.

I'll be braving the nasty last week of April crowds with all the other people on here. I'm sure you will see some good trip reports coming back after this time no matter what.

Just my .02 cents.

-J

I guess I missed that thread. What's happening in April that has made everone think it will be over crowded? :confused3

Lisa AF said:
I guess I missed that thread. What's happening in April that has made everone think it will be over crowded? :confused3
North Eastern schools' spring breaks and Grad Nights.

Stitch Inside said:
North Eastern schools' spring breaks and Grad Nights.

There are northeastern schools spring breaks and grad nights every year, and the last week of April has never been that busy before. (We have gone the last week of April every year since '96). It's always moderatly busy, but never uncomfortably so.

Hopefully this will help. We went in April of 2004 for our Disneymoon. Not knowing that was the week of Easter and not knowing anything about the crowds and all that we arrived. We went first thing in the morning till about noon and left as the parks were getting mad crazy. We took a nap and then went back around 4 or 5 and the crowds started to thin out. You be surprised what you can get done first thing in the morning.... and at the end of the night..

I too am going with my DD (5yrs) in May (12-16th). I felt great about it until I noticed all the info on possible bigger crowds. I'm still feeling a bit anxious, but have relaxed a bit after reading from everyone else. I'm going to do my best to relax (a little) and go with the flow! :rotfl: Besides, the worst thing that can happen is that we don't get to do everything and we'll be "forced" to go back! :Pinkbounc

As someone who has been at Disney as many times as I have, I just want to say... don't fret hon! The other posters here have offered you great advice :) If you think about it, there is *always something* going on at Disney. Marathons, Flower + Garden Shows, Gay Pride, Halloween parties, Christmas parties, Wine Festivals ~ need I go on? :goodvibes

Go! Stop worrying! You're going to have a great time!! :goodvibes

We are going the 3rd week in May. I'm not rescheduling when we go on our trip though. Well, we booked a package and can't. We've already have been looking forward to it anyhow.

The only thing I did though was change the day we go to MK to avoid the weekend.

With all the promos WDW is running this year (MYW, 50th Anniversary, etc.) I think the attendance will be up at the parks this year.

We went over Pres weekend, from Thursday before, until Tuesday after. Even though it wasn't supposed to be crowded (Thurs - #4, Friday - #5, Sat-Mon #7), we thought the crowds were VERY heavy. President's Day @ MK was a gridlock.

Compared to the time we went in June, where it is classified an #8, I thought there were at least twice as many people in the park, or at least following me all day!

Now for the good news, we followed the early entry plans and had most of the major attractions completed by 1:00 p.m. Of course, drill sargent Mom had to get the troops up early and moving on schedule, never an easy task - always too many distractions.

Don't worry - even if you don't get to do "everything" you hoped to accomplish, you'll have a magical time on your vacation.

estnh said:
There are northeastern schools spring breaks and grad nights every year, and the last week of April has never been that busy before. (We have gone the last week of April every year since '96). It's always moderatly busy, but never uncomfortably so.
Hey now. Don't shoot the messenger. I was just answering as to why people thought it was going to be overly crowded the last week of April. pirate:

Well, this post makes me feel much better! Anyone else in bed at night worrying about crowds?

I have pre-Disney trip insomnia :lol

Then the lines won't be as long for Mom and me. :rotfl2:

Seriously... smart use of fastpasses and avoiding the Magic Hours park (as well as avoiding MK on Saturdays (except for Spectro) and Mondays) has always worked for us no matter what the crowds are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter