Experiment-627: A Caribbean Double with a Wilderness Chaser

Rob, somehow you snuck that bonus feature in right under my nose and I missed it. Sorry about that. In any case, it's great info (and purty pictures too).

We were on the side that thought these excursions were above and beyond what we wanted to pay. I think the kids would have liked the water park, but probably wouldn't have made the height requirements for most of the slides, and that's a steep price to pay for a lazy river! The resort really looks cool, though. I'd love to wander through that Dig Site.

Thanks for the info on Nassau! I seem to be the only person (based on my reading over on the cruise board) that's actually excited to go to Nassau! It will be the first foreign country my kids will visit (aside from their homeland of Russia).

I read it yesterday, but forgot to post. Actually, I just didn't want to put my Nemesisisis TR back up near the top of the list. :rotfl2:

Great info on Nassau. I'll have to refer back to this information if we ever get around to cruising. It looks like you need quite a bit more time than a day there.

Rob. I spent an hour or 2 catching up on the last 12 pages of your TR. All the information that you have presented was great. I really enjoyed the information about subs, and Nassau.
I don't think you mentioned it, but they also rent cars on the island. We were staying on the island, but I believe the Avis we rented from was within walking distance from the boat. The cost was relatively inexpensive, so if you have a large party and want to see a good portion of the island a rental car could be a less expensive, and less restrictive way to do it. We used it to walk around the two other forts as well.

Your pictures of the Carnival ships were interesting. I don't know if it's just a matter of photographs not representing reality, but those ships seemed rather run down when we saw them in person in March. One had almost the entire middle pool section roped off for repairs.

Rob, somehow you snuck that bonus feature in right under my nose and I missed it. Sorry about that. In any case, it's great info (and purty pictures too).

We were on the side that thought these excursions were above and beyond what we wanted to pay. I think the kids would have liked the water park, but probably wouldn't have made the height requirements for most of the slides, and that's a steep price to pay for a lazy river! The resort really looks cool, though. I'd love to wander through that Dig Site.

Have to agree. When I researched Atlantis, it did look nice, but it was still a lot of extra bucks per person. Not being gamblers, that’s a bunch of cash for a water park (a nice water park… but still a water park). I think I’d rather go to Blizzard Beach.

Thanks for the info on Nassau! I seem to be the only person (based on my reading over on the cruise board) that's actually excited to go to Nassau! It will be the first foreign country my kids will visit (aside from their homeland of Russia).

I’m of the opinion that every place is interesting if you can take time to find out why.

That, however, requires a bit of work, and sometimes more time then is generally available. A one-day stopover in a “tourist” town makes that hard to do, and most folks don’t have the resources or inclination. I think that Nassau’s problem is a combination of familiarity (a lot of cruiser have been there before) and the reputation of the vendors near the harbor (they are a might aggressive, but not hostile). There is a good bit to see in Nassau, but you really need either a good bit more time, or a good plan.

It sounds to me like you have the right attitude for the adventure. I hope that you and you young’ens have a magical time exploring this very old port city.

I read it yesterday, but forgot to post. Actually, I just didn't want to put my Nemesisisis TR back up near the top of the list. :rotfl2:

A good plan thwarted by the uncontrollable masses
(which was all part of my clever plan).
:lmao:

Great info on Nassau. I'll have to refer back to this information if we ever get around to cruising. It looks like you need quite a bit more time than a day there.

::yes:: That’s about how I see it as well.

Rob. I spent an hour or 2 catching up on the last 12 pages of your TR. All the information that you have presented was great. I really enjoyed the information about subs, and Nassau.

Two hours :eek:
Dude, I’m sure that my writing skills don’t merit that type of commitment, but thanks for following along. You know that if nothing else… my TRs are a good spot to pick up useless info about things you didn’t intend to hear about in the first place.

I don't think you mentioned it, but they also rent cars on the island. We were staying on the island, but I believe the Avis we rented from was within walking distance from the boat. The cost was relatively inexpensive, so if you have a large party and want to see a good portion of the island a rental car could be a less expensive, and less restrictive way to do it. We used it to walk around the two other forts as well.

Ecellent point! That would allow you to control you schedule and control you expenses a little better. There are also places that rent scooters, and at least one place that rents small three wheeled two passenger scooters and micro cars… like these:

4664438-Nice_to_sit_beside_my_partner_Nassau.jpg

4664439-They_rent_these_for_like_a_family_with_kids_Nassau.jpg

Those would be excellent for couples and I might have to consider such after Max gets into collage and I can start dating & romancing my lovely wife again.

Your pictures of the Carnival ships were interesting. I don't know if it's just a matter of photographs not representing reality, but those ships seemed rather run down when we saw them in person in March. One had almost the entire middle pool section roped off for repairs.

They do show their age. They were also built while the cruising industry was following a very different business model. DCL is the only line using their newest ship on the short Nassau cruses (another reason to go with Disney). That being said, I also think that DCL puts more care into the maintenance of their ship to begin with, but then again, their smaller fleet, allows them to focus on he details more effectively. They could certainly be considered a niche business (with a large and loyal clientele).

Chapter 6 –
In the midst of: “The Tale” - Day 3 (Tue)

Part 4: Caught in the Act

D06-401.jpg

“That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six.”

Awwwwww… you caught me!

D06-402.jpg

Yah… That’s fat, ugly ol’ me over there chilling out on the edge of the “Donald Pool”. Scaring all the little children and making the proper ladies faint form the site of all that hideousness. At least my boy is still pretty buff. Hopefully folks caught site of him first and didn’t pay me much mind. I wouldn’t normally go around creating such a public disturbance like that, but I didn’t know any of those folks so… I figured: ehhhh… what the heck.

We’d spent the morning abusing our privileges on the aqua duck and decided to take a bit of a break before devouring a little lunch. They were in between movies up there on the “Dumbo-Tron” and were running a little Disney trivia game instead…

D06-403.jpg

So what’s the answer?

Max didn’t know that one, but I did. Actually, that’s just about the only one that Max didn’t get right off. The boy knows his Disney Trivia (we’ve raised him well so far). Anyway… it was heading on toward mid-day and I for one was getting a might peckish. None of us was particularly in the mood to go get all gussied up for a sit down meal this time around (and do remember that there will always be at least one of the main dinning rooms open for lunch… and you’ve still already paid for the privilege). This day we just decided to drop by Flo’s.

D06-404.jpg

This is actually several different counter service venues all strung together along on the starboard side of the forward funnel on Deck-11 (right under the movie screen and in between the family and adult pools areas). There are several different counter service spots all strung together in this little spot. Chances are good you’ll be able to find something that strikes your fancy here without too much trouble. The first counter along it called: Luigi’s “Casa Della Tires”.

D06-405.jpg

This is the Pizzeria on board and the pies are actually quite good. There will almost always be plain cheese available for the little ones and then an array of other options. Here’s shot of the menu board and a translation for those that are visually challenged (like myself)

D06-406.jpg

Luigi’s

Featuring hand-crafted pizzas freshly made
by our Mechanics

Guido's
Mozzarella Cheese Pizza

Flo's
Chicken and BBQ Pizza

Lizzin's
Pepperoni Pizza

Sally Carreras'
Vegetarian special of the day

Ramone's
Daily Special

If nothing there strikes your fancy, you could try and ask them if they’ll make something specific. Depending on what you want, they may have the fixin’s to accommodate you. I didn’t try that on the Dream, but I did on the Magic once and meet with successes in the attempt.

The lunch counter in the middle of the group is the Radiator Springs Municipal Impound…

D06-407.jpg

…home to the “Tow Mater Grill”. You could call it Kiddie-ville, ‘cause this is where you’ll be able to pickup unlimited burgers, dog & chicken strips (and nearly every one with a young’en between the ages of rug-rat and yard-ape knows just how averse to new flavors these little demons can be). Anyway… here’s a shot of the placard (and the English translation):

D06-408.jpg

Tow Mater
Grill

Grilled to Order
The Piston Cups Poll positioned favorites

Lightning McQueen's
Hamburgers and Cheeseburgers

Mac's
Seasoned to perfection grilled chicken

The Sheriff's
Off the grill hot dogs and bratwurst sausages

Mater's Favorite
Crispy and crunchy chicken tenders

French Fries are always available upon request!

Don't forget to top off at the condiments Pit Stop

OK… you’ve seen the rest, now for the best (well… it’s the counter with the stuff that I like to munch on anyway). What we’re talkin’ ‘bout here is Fillmore’s. Actually, Fillmore’s Favorites is made up of two separate counters. The first one offers up paninis, subs and assorted wraps, while the one at the far end boasts fresh fruit and salads (and even if you don’t want any rabbit food right this moment, get you some of the pineapple and honeydew slices anyway… they are awesome).

D06-409.jpg

Here’s the dish that caught my fancy this lovely day (and it was most certainly as good on the tongue as it was to the eye).

D06-410.jpg

Well… for the sake on continuity, I suppose that I might as well through up the menu for this spot as well.

D06-411.jpg

Fillmore's
Favorites

Tooled Sandwiches, Paninis, Fresh Fruits,
Wraps and Salads all made fresh to order

Sarge's Choices
Filled Rolls, Wraps and Sandwiches

Stanley's Selection
freshly prepared to order paninis

Radiator Springs Salad
make your own salad with your favorite ingredients from
our salad bar, freshly hand-tossed with your choice of
dressings

Fillmore's sliced and diced fresh fruits

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

After a bit of lunch, a modicum of lounging, and a spot more pool time, we packed it in, and headed down to the cabin for showers and some dry clothes. That mission accomplished (and no… ya ain’t getting any pictures of that process… I’m crazy, not stupid), we were now in the mood to go out and catch someone else “in the act”.

Our destination…

D06-412.jpg

This little diversion takes you all over the ship and puts a good deal of the Enchanted Art that lines the corridors to good use. It is also quite popular, so you’ll find that it’s easier and more fun to play while most other folks are busy with other things (like, exploring Nassau, taking in a show or grabbing a meal). To get started, just head on over to one of the two kiosks located on Deck-5 (amidships of course). There is one on either side of the ship where the deck opens up to overlook the grand lobby.

D06-413.jpg

Awwwwww… you caught me again! Yah, that is my mug, and yah there’s more in there then just fruit juice, but then again… I can’t think of any great literary gumshoe that ever refused a good stiff drink while working a case (except for Holmes of course… he liked something a bit stronger). As I was saying… you head to the kiosk and select a case to solve (either stolen art, or missing puppies)…

D06-414.jpg

…pick up you casebook and badge…

D06-415.jpg

… and then the game is a foot!

D06-416.jpg

The case book gives you a list of suspects (Disney Villains of course) and a map showing where you’ll need to search for the clues. It will take you all over the ship. The clues are spread out on every interior passenger desk and scattered forward, aft and amidship. You can go to any spot on the map you like and in any order that strikes you. You can also work on it across the whole cruise if you want as there is no time limit. But, if you’ve got about an hour or so (depending on you stamina and the age of you young’ens), you can knock it out pretty quickly and go back and solve the other case the next day. When you arrive in the area of one of the clues, look for this little plaque imbedded in the floor in fount of a piece of Enchanted Art…

D06-417.jpg

Stand on that and then hold up the game card, with the badge part facing you and this ID-Image side facing the art (just read the card, it’ll explain it). The cameras built into the artwork will “see” the card and instruct you to move it up, down, left or right as needed to get into the center of its line of vision. Once you’ve pulled off that bit, it can identify who you are and start up the next bit of the game. Depending on which clue station you’re at and where you are in the game, there will either be a bit of information that you can use to narrow down the suspect list… or a puzzle of some type that you need to solve which will generally reveal one of the missing masterpieces…

D06-418.jpg

As you work your way through the case, each successive piece of Enchanted Art will allow you to review your clues and see which pieces have been recovered…

D06-419.jpg

Then, after you’ve chased up and down nearly every l-o-n-g corridor and stairwell on the ship…

D06-420.jpg

You’ll finally be able to catch the mastermind in the act of trying to ship all the paintings off to foreign lands unknown …

D06-421.jpg

Now… don’t you be lookin’ too closely at that last image. I purposely made that one a little fuzzy so as not to give away the identity of the mastermind (just incase you come up with the same case). If you really want to you can probably deduce the culprit from that image, but what would be the fun of that I ask you?

Oh, wait… there’s one more really cool thing that you can get into while you’re out and about on this adventure (or any other time or that matter), and you’ll find it right beside the Detective kiosk on the starboard side of the ship (on Deck-5… remember?). You see, there is this one particular piece of enchanted art… ummmmm… this one right here to be precise…

D06-422.jpg

It’s Captain Hook’s ship, and… the wheel and telegraph there in front of it will actually let you control that bad boy and move it around the lagoon chasing after things and such.

D06-423.jpg

This… may actually be one of the coolest hidden prizes on the ship. I guarantee that not everyone aboard even sees it there much less takes a moment to figure out how much fun you can have with the thing.

D06-424.jpg

Awwwwww… you caught me again. Dang, but y’all are sneaky now ain’t ya’? We were just taking a little break before heading off to the beautiful Walt Disney Theater to see our show for the evening.

Rumor has it… it’s got something to do with spies and maniacal criminal master minds…

Bwahahahahahahahahaha…

A1-028.png

“That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six.”
Speaking of which did you see they've finally made some announcements and started moving forward on the next Bond film?! :woohoo:

So what’s the answer?
Can't say as I know for sure... :confused3:lmao:

(we’ve raised him well so far)
:thumbsup2

This is actually several different counter service venues all strung together along on the starboard side of the forward funnel on Deck-11
I have a feeling that I'd probably be swinging by there for a snack anytime I'm in the area... you know, as long as the pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, etc are any good. :rolleyes1

It is also quite popular, so you’ll find that it’s easier and more fun to play while most other folks are busy with other things (like, exploring Nassau, taking in a show or grabbing a meal).
Looks like a lot of fun... even for the bigger kids.:rotfl:

Yah, that is my mug, and yah there’s more in there then just fruit juice
That's a requirement on vacation, isn't it?

Then, after you’ve chased up and down nearly every l-o-n-g corridor and stairwell on the ship…
Fun and good exercise! :thumbsup2

It’s Captain Hook’s ship, and… the wheel and telegraph there in front of it will actually let you control that bad boy and move it around the lagoon chasing after things and such.
That. Is. Awesome! :thumbsup2

Rumor has it… it’s got something to do with spies and maniacal criminal master minds…
Look forward to your review!

Yah… That’s fat, ugly ol’ me over there chilling out on the edge of the “Donald Pool”. Scaring all the little children and making the proper ladies faint form the site of all that hideousness.

I know the feeling! Something about that pasty white skin and farmer tan...:rolleyes1

So what’s the answer?

B!

(I have no idea. That's my default answer on multiple-choice questions)

The first counter along it called: Luigi’s “Casa Della Tires”.]

You could call it Kiddie-ville, ‘cause this is where you’ll be able to pickup unlimited burgers, dog & chicken strips (and nearly every one with a young’en between the ages of rug-rat and yard-ape knows just how averse to new flavors these little demons can be).

I have absolutely, positively no idea what you're talking about.

Here’s the dish that caught my fancy this lovely day (and it was most certainly as good on the tongue as it was to the eye).

D06-410.jpg

Looks like a good call! :thumbsup2

After a bit of lunch, a modicum of lounging, and a spot more pool time, we packed it in, and headed down to the cabin for showers and some dry clothes. That mission accomplished (and no… ya ain’t getting any pictures of that process… I’m crazy, not stupid)

Your readers thank you. :scared:

This little diversion takes you all over the ship and puts a good deal of the Enchanted Art that lines the corridors to good use.

Cool! I was wondering if you'd tried this out. It looks like a lot of fun. For the kids, I mean. :rolleyes1

Awwwwww… you caught me again! Yah, that is my mug, and yah there’s more in there then just fruit juice, but then again… I can’t think of any great literary gumshoe that ever refused a good stiff drink while working a case (except for Holmes of course… he liked something a bit stronger).

This is the DISDad's version of the small metal flask.

Cool! Another thing my...um...kids would love. :thumbsup2

Your next chapter is about Barry? :confused3

Speaking of which did you see they've finally made some announcements and started moving forward on the next Bond film?! :woohoo:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I really liked Casino Royale. Not so much the last one, but I think Daniel Craig makes a great Bond.

Skyfall… a somewhat better title then the last one, but titles aren’t the issue, It’s the adventure that pulls us in.. It should be a lot fun when it finally comes out.

Can't say as I know for sure... :confused3:lmao:

It’s the doorknob that Walt decided to add into the story.

I have a feeling that I'd probably be swinging by there for a snack anytime I'm in the area... you know, as long as the pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, etc are any good. :rolleyes1

The counter service stuff is actually pretty good, and like everything else on board, you can mix and match just about any thing to suit your own taste. For instance… here’s an image that I ran across while looking for the menus.

D06-430.jpg

Apparently it’s made of two cheeseburgers with the bun replaced by two slices of the BBQ-Chicken pizza. Using this as a starting point and considering the options available both here and in Cabana’s opens and almost endless array of possibilities.

Looks like a lot of fun... even for the bigger kids.:rotfl:

The bigger kids in my party whole-heartedly endorse this belief.

That's a requirement on vacation, isn't it?

Whenever possible

Fun and good exercise! :thumbsup2

I’m sure I lost at least 2.6571 milligrams of body fat on this little adventure. I know that I had room for nearly three extra bites of desert at dinner that evening.

That. Is. Awesome! :thumbsup2

::yes:: and fun too!

I know the feeling! Something about that pasty white skin and farmer tan...:rolleyes1

Beached whale comes to mind :sad2:

B!

(I have no idea. That's my default answer on multiple-choice questions)

Nope… it was: A

I have absolutely, positively no idea what you're talking about.

And I absolutely, positively believe you :lmao:

Your readers thank you. :scared:

And well they should.

Cool! I was wondering if you'd tried this out. It looks like a lot of fun. For the kids, I mean. :rolleyes1
Oh yahhhhhhh…. Every kid on our group had a blast.

This is the DISDad's version of the small metal flask.

There may be a Man Law in there somewhere…

Cool! Another thing my...um...kids would love. :thumbsup2

So I’m not the only “big kid” that like to play with those little model motor boat in the pond beside the Jungle Cruise then am I?

Your next chapter is about Barry? :confused3

:lmao:
So…. Are you saying he’s a spy, or a criminal mastermind?

We live in Lexington, just outside of Columbia. But, of course, you know where that is :)

Yep. I know right where you’re talking about. Drove right by you spot on the map a couple of times that weekend, but that part of a different story.

Thanks again for following along and feel free to chime in any time.

Rob,
I just got settled back in front of my computer after the trip, and I wanted to make sure I popped in here to tell you how invaluable your information was. Having never done a cruise before and having no idea what to expect, following your wisdom made it completely seamless. (I'll bet you don't hear that much, do you?)
Anyway, I'll make time to catch up on your TR a little later, but I wanted to make sure I put out a great big Thank You! (And yes, I realize that thank you is the same size font as the rest of the sentence. It's not so much big in size as it is in heartfeltedness.) ((And yes, heartfeltedness is a word. Or it at least sounds like one.))

D06-430.jpg

Apparently it’s made of two cheeseburgers with the bun replaced by two slices of the BBQ-Chicken pizza. Using this as a starting point and considering the options available both here and in Cabana’s opens and almost endless array of possibilities.

..........speechless, utterly speechless.....wow, just wow!

FYI - I just added day one to my TR so if you're really bored or suffer from insomnia, it might help.

Rob,
I just got settled back in front of my computer after the trip, and I wanted to make sure I popped in here to tell you how invaluable your information was. Having never done a cruise before and having no idea what to expect, following your wisdom made it completely seamless. (I'll bet you don't hear that much, do you?)
Anyway, I'll make time to catch up on your TR a little later, but I wanted to make sure I put out a great big Thank You! (And yes, I realize that thank you is the same size font as the rest of the sentence. It's not so much big in size as it is in heartfeltedness.) ((And yes, heartfeltedness is a word. Or it at least sounds like one.))

My name and the word “wisdom” do not generally show up in the same sentence (unless the word “lacking” is featured prominently). I’m glad you were able to find something useful in this mess though and I’m really looking forward to seeing your writings on the subject. Welcome home… I’m sorry the trip had to end… Now just how do we go about getting back on that ship (soon)?

..........speechless, utterly speechless.....wow, just wow!

Like I said… the possibilities boggle the mind.

FYI - I just added day one to my TR so if you're really bored or suffer from insomnia, it might help.

Thanks for the heads up… I think I’ll head over there and see what’s going on.

Howdy Folks…

As a public service I’d like to give a bit of a shout for another “Cruising TR”.

Back up in Post #294, Dave (Groovertoo) noted that he’d begun adding update to his PTR thus turning it into a full-fledged TR. He’s gotten off to a good start so far and… there is some good info that some of y’all might find useful if you plan to give DCL a try. There is an especially interesting set of observations about the MCO / Hyatt Hotel that you can check out here:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43178761&postcount=24

Bonus Feature 14:

Duodécimo de Mayo

B14-001.jpg

“Baseball is different from any other sport, very different. For instance, in most sports you score points or goals; in baseball you score runs. In most sports the ball, or object, is put in play by the offensive team; in baseball the defensive team puts the ball in play, and only the defense is allowed to touch the ball. In fact, in baseball if an offensive player touches the ball intentionally, he's out; sometimes unintentionally, he's out.

Also: in football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and all sports played with a ball, you score with the ball and in baseball the ball prevents you from scoring.

In most sports the team is run by a coach; in baseball the team is run by a manager. And only in baseball does the manager or coach wear the same clothing the players do. If you'd ever seen John Madden in his Oakland Raiders uniform, you'd know the reason for this custom.

Now, I've mentioned football. Baseball & football are the two most popular spectator sports in this country. And as such, it seems they ought to be able to tell us something about ourselves and our values.

I enjoy comparing baseball and football:

Baseball is a nineteenth-century pastoral game.
Football is a twentieth-century technological struggle.

Baseball is played on a diamond, in a park. The baseball park!
Football is played on a gridiron, in a stadium, sometimes called Soldier Field or War Memorial Stadium.

Baseball begins in the spring, the season of new life.
Football begins in the fall, when everything's dying.

In football you wear a helmet.
In baseball you wear a cap.

Football is concerned with downs - what down is it?
Baseball is concerned with ups - who's up?

In football you receive a penalty.
In baseball you make an error.

In football the specialist comes in to kick.
In baseball the specialist comes in to relieve somebody.

Football has hitting, clipping, spearing, piling on, personal fouls, late hitting and unnecessary roughness.
Baseball has the sacrifice.

Football is played in any kind of weather: rain, snow, sleet, hail, fog...
In baseball, if it rains, we don't go out to play.

Baseball has the seventh inning stretch.
Football has the two minute warning.

Baseball has no time limit: we don't know when it's gonna end - might have extra innings.
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end even if we've got to go to sudden death.

In baseball, during the game, in the stands, there's kind of a picnic feeling; emotions may run high or low, but there's not too much unpleasantness.
In football, during the game in the stands, you can be sure that at least twenty-seven times you're capable of taking the life of a fellow human being.

And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!”

- George Carlin

B14-002.jpg

So… what do the photograph at the top of this post, and the monologue that followed it have in common?

Oh… and by the way… It’s bonus feature time again.

You see… there was something buried in my last update that caught my attention. And… as you’ve already learned from previous posts… when some bright shiny bobble catches my attention, it also tends to send me off course and over hill and dale. If you continue reading beyond this point, you’ll be tagging along on a rather circuitous path toward the next actual installment of this TR. Or you could just take a break and wait for the real update. To help you with this decision I will also warn you that unlike my last (rather extensive) bonus feature, this one will not teach you anything what-so-ever that you’ll possibly find useful on a cruise (or anywhere else under the sun for that matter). Trust me, this post is pure unadulterated self indulgence and you don’t really have to worry about enduring it any farther.

OK… PSA issued, now it’s back to my pointless ramblings. As I was saying… some off-the-wall thing back there in my last update has lead me to ask y’all this question: Just what do the lead photo and the monologue have in common?

You might be tempted to say, “Well, Duhhhh… Baseball!”… and you’d be correct in general, but wrong for my twisted purposes. Actually, there’s a clue that is already buried within this post, and just to be sporting, I’ll give you another one…

B14-003.jpg

Well that certainly cleared everything up, now didn’t it? No? I think I heard one of y’all say, “Well, I know that Carlin did the original voice for the Pixar character: Fillmore, but what’s that got to do with Yogi Berra” (or did you not know who that ball player was at first)? Well the clue isn’t the character per say… it’s something else in the image that pertains to both the ball player and the comedian/actor/philosopher/commentator. Puzzling huh? OK, then… let me throw out a list of a few more items that meet the same criteria…

The fall of Charleston (Revolutionary War)
Florence Nightingale
The Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse (Civil War)
Katharine Hepburn
Howard K Smith
The coronation of King George VI
The Berlin Airlift
Steve Winwood
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

(yah… I’m on the list too, that’s how we got here in the first place)

I’m sure most of y’all have figured it out by now. The rest of ya’ need to think “inside” the box (or more rather: inside the rectangle). Being Disney fans and therefore Pixar fans, we know that the folks at Pixar are fond of hiding interesting details in their drawings and at times physically on their characters. This is one of those times and the box… errrr… I mean rectangle that you need to be thinking inside of is this one right here…

B14-004.jpg

License plates are a great spot for hiding bits of trivia. What that one is conveying is the day that the voice actor in question was born: May 12, 1937. The bit that is common to all the random things I’ve shown you here is that date (well… the May 12th bit of it anyway). All these things saw their beginnings on the same day. Were it not also my birthday; I likely wouldn’t have even noticed it so quickly. Needless to say, it kind’a stood out rather prominently to my eye the first time I saw this particular Pixar film (which I also got to catch while at a drive-in theater… now it that cool or what)?

Well… I did say it was going to be self-indulgent.

As a bit of an apology, let me go back to that very quotable ball player at the top of the post. Berra had a way with words. He had an undeniable gift to turning a phrase inside out and upside down so as to paint a vivid picture that was both incomprehensible and yet perfectly understandable when applied to the situation at hand. Here are just a few examples of some Yogi-isims that have found their way off of the sports pages and into both our culture and our hearts…

This is like deja vu all over again.

You can observe a lot just by watching.

I want to thank you for making this day necessary.
(On “Yogi Berra Appreciation Day” in St. Louis in 1947)

I'd find the fellow who lost it, and, if he was poor, I'd return it.
(When asked what he would do if he found a million dollars)

Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

If you can't imitate him, don't copy him.

Baseball is 90% mental… the other half is physical.

B14-005.jpg

It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much.

Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting.

A nickel isn't worth a dime today.

Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.

It gets late early out there.
(Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium)

I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left.

90% of the putts that are short don't go in.

I made a wrong mistake.

I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.

If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them.

Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel.

It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't.

The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.

You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours.

I didn't really say everything I said.

B14-006.gif

Oh by the way… there is one other character that shares this same birthday.

This one…

B14-007.jpg

Full disclaimer here… there is actually a bit of argument about the exact release date of the Mickey Mouse cartoon the first featured the character then named “Dippy Dog” (who would very quickly be renamed Goofy). I have found references to at least three separate dates in May (the others being May 2, and May 25) and at least two independent sources for each of those three dates. I suspect that the twenty-fifth may be the “most” correct, but so long as there is an argument, I can make the clam (everyone is generally agreed that May was certainly the correct month, so it’s close enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades).

Well that’s enough time spent of this waste of time. I suppose that I ought to get back to writing the next actual update to this TR. Unless any of y’all want to post a ‘bonus feature” of your own devising that is.

Feel free… you could even consider it a challenge.

B14-008.jpg

Chapter 6 –
In the midst of: “The Tale” - Day 3 (Tue)

Part 5: Inner Sanctum

D06-501.jpg

in·ner sanc·tum - Noun

1. The most sacred place in a temple or church

2. A private or secret place to which few other people are admitted

3. A secluded location where literary super villains coordinate and control all aspects of their diabolical plots; it serves as both a nerve center and a convenient single pinch point where a lone defending hero can ultimately thwart every aspect of said operation and defeat the mastermind’s entire private army without raising any suspicion or awareness among the general populous.

The first definition up there explains the origin of the phrase, but it’s the second one that I plane to focus on in this part of the chapter (and we’ll get to the third one in a bit, so just be patient). Aboard the Disney Dream, it would be the Concierge spaces that “best” meets the letter of this description…

D06-502.jpg

…but then again, the entire ship really qualifies. Certainly not everyone gets on board, and even being a cruiser doesn’t mean that you’re cruising on board the Dream. But there are number of individual secluded hideaways aboard this massive ship. The various kid’s clubs come to mind (separated by age group and excluding even the parents), as does the spa (which requires a little extra cash to partake of), and a couple of the dinning rooms (which will get discussed latter on). But there are very public spaces that have the feeling of a sanctuary. One of those is the Walt Disney Theater.

Even though the main theater takes up a fairly large space, it still feels intimate, and comforting. It was with this sense of comfort that we settled into some good seats (drink cups in hand and 3D glasses at the ready) to enjoy movie night aboard the Disney Dream. Our show for the evening was a first run Pixar film that had debuted only a couple days before (and the thing which both inspired the theme I’ve been using for this chapter and meets that third definition of “Inner Sanctum”)…

D06-503.jpg

Now I for one believe that the folks at Pixar are just about the best storytellers in the land and are also making films that are as much fun for the adults and they are for the young’ens. That being said the two “Cars” films, have taken a good bit of abuse on the critical front. But I’m going to take a moment here to defend these two films. I rather liked both of them. I actually think the story line was better in the first film. It’s basically a “mentor” film where a self assured hot-shot finds himself learning a thing-or-three from a grizzled, overlooked veteran and uses that learning not to become just another hero, but a better individual instead.

D06-504.jpg

The second film, however, is a whole lot more fun. There are actually two types of stories intertwined here. First it’s an action packed spy thriller along the James Bond genera. It was almost certainly inspired by the single greatest spy car ever to grace the silver screen…

D06-505.jpg

The Aston Martin DB5 initially made famous in the film adaptation of Ian Flemming’s novel: “Goldfinger”

The stylized personification of this icon appears in the character of “Finn McMissile”.

D06-506.jpg

Voiced my Michael Caine and every bit the dashing secret agent that we’ve come to expect form this type of adventure. The other type of story plot line that is being used here is that of the “mistaken Identity”. In this instance character of Tow Mater (voiced by Daniel Lawrence “Larry the Cable Guy” Whitney) is wrongly identified a brilliant American secret agent…

D06-507.jpg

…and form there both comedy and mayhem ensues…

D06-508.jpg

This plot device has fueled some of the most entertaining and award winning cinematic performances in film history, and was a regular tool in Alfred Hitchcock’s arsenal (along with the MacGuffin). Yet in this film the story is a lot less reminiscent of…

D06-509.jpg

…and a whole lot more akin to…

D06-510.jpg

…and identifying those two movies should be no trouble at all for most of my regular readers. In any case, it’s actually a rather entertaining film (especially seen in 3D while sipping a fine rum cocktail in the main theater during a family cruise aboard the Disney Dream).

You get racing action…

D06-511.jpg

Evil geniuses wielding devastating hi-tech weaponry…

D06-512.jpg

Bungling henchmen…

D06-513.jpg

Hidden armament upgrades…

D06-514.jpg

Last minute escapes…

D06-515.jpg

And when it’s all said and done, it’s actually this guy that will inadvertently save Lightning McQueen’s life…

B14-003.jpg

“You gott’a respect the classics man…”

Amen to that Fillmore… amen to that.

After the film, we popped back by the cabin (our own personal inner sanctum) to drop off the drink cups and dress just a little better for dinner. We found that our steward had already prepped the room for the evening and left us this little bit of tom-foolery…

D06-517.jpg

There are two things of interest in that image (aside from the elephant in the room that is). The first is that according to the magic-porthole we were leaving Nassau behind us, and the second was the little bits of cloth in the bottom left corner, which helps explain why we were the first ship out of Nassau that day. The cloth was three “pirate” themed bandanas that we were invited to use and part of our dress for the rest of the evening. Why? Because… it was “Pirates in the Caribbean” night aboard the Dream. This was to be an evening of Disney fun that would ultimately be crowned with a fireworks show at sea (and DCL is still the only cruise line that can pull off this entertainment trick). Actually, the fireworks is why we left Nassau at around 7:00, so that we’d be well out to sea by the time the pyrotechnic extravaganza was scheduled to commence). Here’s the card that came along with those bits of swag that explains the upcoming festivities pretty well…

D06-518.jpg

But you never want to start blowing things up on an empty stomach. First things first… it was time for a little bit of dinner. On cruses longer then three days, “Pirate” night will have a menu all it’s own and it will be the same in all three major dinning rooms. Generally you will also be having dinner in the same spot that you were in the night before. For us this meant a return trip to Animators Palate.

D06-519.jpg

The huge screens that Crush used to maneuver around the dining room the night before were now hidden behind sliding walls bearing smaller pieces of art and screens. The various video screens around the room were displaying and rotating though random cells, drawings, paintings and animator’s sketches in both “pirate” and generally nautical themes from the bygone age of sail. The vibe was very casual and more boisterous then the night before. This is probably the only one of the three main dining rooms that can affect that type of change in both look and feel. Given our location in a cozy corner of one of the “rooms” we honestly had no idea that there were over three thousand other guests aboard that night. As you might expect… I was rather pleased to be here for our Pirate’s feast.

As I said earlier… The menu on pirate night is the same for everyone and during our tenure aboard the Dream… it looked like this:

Appetizers

Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake
with golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw
served with a spicy Calypso dressing

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers"
oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served
with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple
fresh island pineapple with a coconut covered banana
and orange glaze

Pearls of the Caribbean
crabmeat, shrimp and salmon mixed in pearls of couscous
with lemon grass infused vinaigrette

Soups and Salads

Chilled-to-the-bone Honeydew Melon and Watermelon Soup

Caribbean-style Conch Chowder
with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished
with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits

Jerk Chicken Salad
jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens
with a citrus dressing and plantain chips

Mr. Smee's Bibb Lettuce Salad
with bibb lettuce, baby greens, chicory, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts
and raspberry vinaigrette

Bread Service

Johnny Cake with a pigeon pea relish

Main Course

Castaway Chicken Breast
rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, rice and beans,
and fried okra on rich spiced glaze

Jolly Rogers Barbecue Rib Salad
Shredded cabbage, carrots, and corn mixed
with Romaine lettuce and fresh parsley with a spicy baked bean dressing

Treasures of the Seas Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops
served on strings of pasta and fresh creamy tomato sauce

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs
Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served
with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip

Sunken Vegetable Treasure
Black-eyed pea and quinoa croquettes
with a mushroom sauce

Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi
Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple
on a mild curry sauce

The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef
thick cut of beef with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato
with deep red wine glaze

Tiger Lilie's Savory Pancakes
stuffed with tofu, spinach, and lashed to the deck
on a pool of pepper coulis

Baked Salmon and Oven-roasted Chicken Breast available upon request

Now… given that menu and what you know of me so far what do you suppose got ordered?

+1 if you said: Pot Stickers, Conch Chowder and Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef (as I’ve said… I-R-A-carnivore).

Being Pirate Night, all the servers (and a good percentage of the guests) were dressed for the part. Everyone was very relaxed and just enjoying the evening. It may also be that now midway through our cruse, we’d all settled in and gotten comfortable with one and other. Another difference, for us anyway, was in the make up of the folks at table #66. Our tablemates had split up this evening. The girls were on their own and chose to join us for dinner at AP (with the two youngest deciding to re-début their prized “Minnie” dresses). Mom and dad had decided to try out the adult experience at Pallo. In the near… I’m going to make a point to talk about that particular restaurant, which can be found on all DCL ships (and most certainly qualifies as an inner sanctum), in greater detail (probably as a full fledged Bonus Feature… probable the next Bonus Feature). For the time being however, lets just say that since the young ladies form Iceland weren’t that talkative (in English anyway), for my family, it was a lot like having the entire dinning room to ourselves. In a word… it was: relaxing.

After dinner of course there is always time for desert.
That menu looked like this…

Desserts

Sweet Temptations
a trio of fruit cobbler, floating island and chocolate cake

Fruit Cobbler
with vanilla ice cream

Floating Island
crisp meringue, vanilla anglaise and marinated fruits

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake
with raspberry glaze and whipped cream

[/]Crunch Time Sundae[/u]
Rum Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Croquant

No Sugar Added

Banana-Chocolate Crepe
with mango coulis and coconut

Angel Food Cake
with strawberries and whipped cream

So what did we indulge in? …Banana-Chocolate Crepe
(one of the recommendations that I probably would have over looked otherwise – trust your servers)

and…

D06-520.jpg

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake
(what it lacked in size… it made up for in: “Ohhhh Myyyyy”).

Oh… one last little story before we head topside for the rest of this evening’s festivities. Do you remember our two little Minnies that were sharing out table? Well apparently the girls had themselves one mighty big day out and about in Nassau. I say this because the youngest was so completely tuckered out that she fell asleep head down on the table between dinner and desert. Big Sis couldn’t even roust the girl from her slumber long enough to pick a desert. Daniel told the group not to worry; he had the perfect answer for this situation. When the dishes hit the table, sure enough, there was one specially designed for Sleeping Beauty…

D06-521.jpg

After dinner we were heading out to walk the promenade for a bit before heading up to Deck-11 and the Buccaneer Blast. On the way, we encountered these little bits of Epcot inspired luminous art built into the floor of the AP merrily leading us onward toward our next adventure…

D06-522.jpg

D06-523.jpg

Now we’d had a bit of dinner and found a bit of magic… it was time for something completely different.

It was time to watch things explode.

A1-029.jpg

A Yogi Berra appearance in a GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes TR. Seriously, does it get any more appropriate than that? :lmao:

Well that’s enough time spent of this waste of time. I suppose that I ought to get back to writing the next actual update to this TR. Unless any of y’all want to post a ‘bonus feature” of your own devising that is.

I don't have time for a challenge right now... so I guess you win this round. Curse you!

3. A secluded location where literary super villains coordinate and control all aspects of their diabolical plots; it serves as both a nerve center and a convenient single pinch point where a lone defending hero can ultimately thwart every aspect of said operation and defeat the mastermind’s entire private army without raising any suspicion or awareness among the general populous.
Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated!!!

Now I for one believe that the folks at Pixar are just about the best storytellers in the land and are also making films that are as much fun for the adults and they are for the young’ens.
::yes::

I rather liked both of them.

I actually think the story line was better in the first film.

The second film, however, is a whole lot more fun.

(aside from the elephant in the room that is).
Why does everybody go for cheap puns?

But you never want to start blowing things up on an empty stomach.
Food and explosions... now that is a good evening!:thumbsup2

After dinner of course there is always time for desert.
That menu looked like this…
Well, that dinner menu didn't have anything that just reached out and grabbed me. I think I'd just skip to this menu. :lmao::rotfl2:

Daniel told the group not to worry; he had the perfect answer for this situation. When the dishes hit the table, sure enough, there was one specially designed for Sleeping Beauty…
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

:cool1::yay::woohoo::banana::cool1::woohoo::yay::cheer2:

Back up in Post #294, Dave (Groovertoo) noted that he’d begun adding update to his PTR thus turning it into a full-fledged TR. He’s gotten off to a good start so far and… there is some good info that some of y’all might find useful if you plan to give DCL a try. There is an especially interesting set of observations about the MCO / Hyatt Hotel that you can check out here:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=43178761&postcount=24

Thanks! I try to keep up with all of the DisDad TR's, but that's not as easy as it sounds.

“Baseball is different from any other sport, very different...."

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Awesome monologue!

OK… PSA issued, now it’s back to my pointless ramblings.

As opposed to the normal chapters...:rolleyes1

Berra had a way with words.

That's an understatement!

:scratchin

"Inner Sanctum"

The first definition up there explains the origin of the phrase, but it’s the second one that I plane to focus on in this part of the chapter (and we’ll get to the third one in a bit, so just be patient). Aboard the Disney Dream, it would be the Concierge spaces that “best” meets the letter of this description…

You forgot one.

4. The bathroom, stocked with today's newspaper.

Now I for one believe that the folks at Pixar are just about the best storytellers in the land and are also making films that are as much fun for the adults and they are for the young’ens.

I agree! There's only one Pixar movie I don't like*, and it wasn't one of the Cars movies.

*It's a Bug's Life.

That being said the two “Cars” films, have taken a good bit of abuse on the critical front. But I’m going to take a moment here to defend these two films. I rather liked both of them.

Me too. The first one is a nice story that drags a little long, but has a good message. The second one is fun, and it's interesting to read how much of the criticism focuses on the fact that the reviewers really just don't like Mater. And they wonder why we think critics are elitist. :rolleyes1

That being said, the message of the 2nd movie isn't as strong as the first. But it makes up for it with explosions and slapstick. :thumbsup2

This plot device has fueled some of the most entertaining and award winning cinematic performances in film history, and was a regular tool in Alfred Hitchcock’s arsenal (along with the MacGuffin). Yet in this film the story is a lot less reminiscent of…

D06-509.jpg

…and a whole lot more akin to…

D06-510.jpg

…and identifying those two movies should be no trouble at all for most of my regular readers.

North by Northwest

and

The Three Amigos

:rolleyes1

Now… given that menu and what you know of me so far what do you suppose got ordered?

+1 if you said: Pot Stickers, Conch Chowder and Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef (as I’ve said… I-R-A-carnivore).

I was close. I went with the bbq short-ribs on our pirate night, and thought they were fantastic. So I thought you might go in that direction.

When the dishes hit the table, sure enough, there was one specially designed for Sleeping Beauty…

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Awesome!

:woohoo::cool1::banana::yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter