Experiences with the "Anyone Can Cook" Classes....

DisneySunPrincess

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if people can tell me about the Anyone Can Cook classes aboard the ships. What things did you make? Do you actually make the food, or are you just observing someone at the front? Do you get to eat what is made...etc? I am just looking to hear people's opinions of what they have experienced. Is it worth my valuable "ship time"?

Thanks!

You watch as a chef prepares a dish. At the end of the cooking session they bring out everyone a sample of what was made along with the recipe. If you attend an adult only session, sometimes there is a free glass of wine. I thought it was worth it, but I love to cook. The recipe for the session I attended was lobster ravioli with a tomato broth. It was very good and very easy to make at home.

You watch as a chef prepares a dish. At the end of the cooking session they bring out everyone a sample of what was made along with the recipe. If you attend an adult only session, sometimes there is a free glass of wine. I thought it was worth it, but I love to cook. The recipe for the session I attended was lobster ravioli with a tomato broth. It was very good and very easy to make at home.

Thanks for the information. I thought you probably would not get the "hands on" experience of getting to cook something yourself, but it is good to know for sure. It sounds like a pretty cool experience just the same. Do they offer several different recipes during the course of a cruise?

I also enjoy the demonstrations. In addition to the lobster ravioli I went to one that did a mushroom risotto. Each time we were offered a wine that was paired to the dish. My husband goes with me and enjoys it, also.

We did the Apple Strudel class and it was fun to watch. They started handing out the samples early and there was quite a few that would eat and leave. Would definitely do another one as the chef was fun to listen to.

so my biggest WOW moment at the cooking demos is the Apple Strudel - how the heck do they take that little blob of dough and roll / stretch it out so huge!!! In this case gluten is our friend (I think).

I went to the Spider Mousse Cake one last week. Definitely way too many steps for me to make at home and a lot of things I don't own, but it was still interesting. It was very similar to the paid demos I have gone to at the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot, just a bit shorter in duration. I thought it was interesting and worth the time though and I did pick up a few tips even though I doubt I would make that recipe at home.

I went to the Spider Mousse Cake one last week. Definitely way too many steps for me to make at home and a lot of things I don't own, but it was still interesting. It was very similar to the paid demos I have gone to at the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot, just a bit shorter in duration. I thought it was interesting and worth the time though and I did pick up a few tips even though I doubt I would make that recipe at home.

I am assuming that one was special because it was "Halloween on the High Seas" which is exciting to me because my next cruise will most likely be as well. :)

We only made it to one - the lobster ravioli - and we enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend attending if you have the time. I was disappointed we didn't get to the apple strudel demo.

On a seven night there is usually a series, w/ an app, main course, and dessert, done on three different days. The samples are yummy, as are the glasses of wine, and even though I'm an experienced cook I usually learn something new. Something my mom and I always do together.

It sounds like a pretty cool experience just the same. Do they offer several different recipes during the course of a cruise?

Typically they do an appetizer, entree and dessert session during the cruise (different days). On our Northern European cruise, because it was 12 days, they also did a Top Chef/Iron Chef one too. In that one, they picked a few people from the audience to be the judges and kept sabotaging each other. It was hilarious and very creative.

Is this something we would find in the Navigator? My 9 year old son wants to be a chef and he would LOVE this!

Are these only offered on the dream/fantasy?

Is this something we would find in the Navigator? My 9 year old son wants to be a chef and he would LOVE this!

This was on the Magic. I think that all ships offer something of the sort depending on the length of the cruise. They were all listed in the Navigator. I think, however, that some of them were for adults only.

Do you sign up in advance for these or is it a come if you feel like it? Also, is there an age limit or can kids (teens) attend?

From my memory, they are adult only.

I think the kids' clubs usually do something similar - but more kid-friendly food. So you could always check for any of those during open hours.

Do you sign up in advance for these or is it a come if you feel like it?

Just show up. As long as there are seats. Show up a bit early - they are very popular. IIRC, they also hand out the recipes so you can try them at home. For the regular ones (not the competition one), they give out samples of the food and wine (no charge). I think that's probably why it's typically for adults only.

From my memory, they are adult only.

I think the kids' clubs usually do something similar - but more kid-friendly food. So you could always check for any of those during open hours.

Oh bummer! My tween daughter attended the kids club ones but said they were very basic. She is a better chef than I am... wish there was one like this for teens.

If you actually want to do some hands on food prep ask for the very limited Palo Chef Experience. It costs a good bit though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter