Experiences with GTY & multiple staterooms

Wendy&Grumpy

DIS Veteran
For folks who have booked multiple GTY staterooms in the same category (all 7A, all 5A, etc.) what has your experience been?

Have your staterooms ended up in the same category and at least together or nearby?

We have the option to upgrade our two (connecting!) staterooms from oceanview to verandah for less than $11 total but it's GTY and I'm unsure about risking being far apart. :worried:

For folks who have booked multiple GTY staterooms in the same category (all 7A, all 5A, etc.) what has your experience been?

Have your staterooms ended up in the same category and at least together or nearby?

We have the option to upgrade our two (connecting!) staterooms from oceanview to verandah for less than $11 total but it's GTY and I'm unsure about risking being far apart. :worried:

We've done 1 cruise, so far, with 2 9C GTYs. We were assigned 2 9Bs next door to each other (not connecting). The funny thing was each room had a different life boat station.

We have another cruise coming up - 3 9C GTYs. Haven't been assigned room yet.

:cutie:

We sailed with one cabin assigned & one GTY & even then they had us only 3 or 4 doors down from each other. They do a really good job at keeping your party together.

Historical background....March 2009 there was a Magic cruise with a ton of gty bookings. DCL put people anywhere they wanted to with no regard to keeping groups together. People were on the Dismeet swapping cabins, etc. Lots of unhappy people.

Fast forward to May 2009...same deal--over 100 gty cabins on the ship. Everyone I know of or have read of was within 2 rooms of the rest of their party; most were right next door.

Since then, they have made an effort to keep groups together, BUT there is no promise. If they have rooms together you're likely to get them...but if not, you've agreed to take whatever.

Any more recent experiences with this?

We've done 1 cruise, so far, with 2 9C GTYs. We were assigned 2 9Bs next door to each other (not connecting). The funny thing was each room had a different life boat station.

We have another cruise coming up - 3 9C GTYs. Haven't been assigned room yet.

:cutie:

Well, an update, our 3 9Cs were 3 9Bs all adjoining (next to each other). All at the same lifeboat station.

So glad to hear positive feedback on this. My family has 6 cabins booked GTY. I'll be thrilled if we end up close to one another but not really expecting it.

I don't know room category numbers but we booked 3 oceanview cabins GTY last year on the Fantasy. We were assigned our cabins what I thought was early, a month or so out. We were given 3 verandah cabins in the rear of the ship. Two were connecting and the third was right next door. We were very pleased. I thought maybe they assigned ours first to be sure we got the cabins near each other.

I have 4D assigned and when the VGT rates came out last week my grandmother decided to book and my mother will move into her stateroom. For the last year we have all been planning on being together and the kids have been looking forward to having a "sleep over" on Mickey's ship with grandma. I am hoping the second stateroom is assigned close to us. I would be willing to change staterooms myself it meant being relatively close to one another.

Fingers crossed and wishing for pixie dust. pixiedust:

We booked 3 VGT rooms and were given three adjoining staterooms right in a row 13 days before sailing. Not the same as a GTY booking, but I'd say your chances are good of being together.

I have sailed once with two VGT rooms on the Fantasy, and we were assigned connecting rooms. I didn't think it would be that much of an incremental benefit, but now after experiencing it, I'm definitely sold on connecting rooms. The previous time we had one VGT and one normally-assigned room, and ended up on different decks even though are reservations were linked.

So, I think it's like others have said: more recently, they make every effort to keep linked rooms as close as possible when they have floating room assignments, but it all depends on how full the ship is and the layout of the remaining rooms at the time the assignments are made. If a guarantee of close-by or connecting is needed, then you need to avoid *GT rates or regular rates with GTY assignments.

I have sailed once with two VGT rooms on the Fantasy, and we were assigned connecting rooms. I didn't think it would be that much of an incremental benefit, but now after experiencing it, I'm definitely sold on connecting rooms. The previous time we had one VGT and one normally-assigned room, and ended up on different decks even though are reservations were linked.

So, I think it's like others have said: more recently, they make every effort to keep linked rooms as close as possible when they have floating room assignments, but it all depends on how full the ship is and the layout of the remaining rooms at the time the assignments are made. If a guarantee of close-by or connecting is needed, then you need to avoid *GT rates or regular rates with GTY assignments.

Thanks! I know they will do their best, I just did not how it would work out with one of the staterooms already being assigned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter