experience with Turbo Tax?

Anna_Marie

Mouseketeer
Thinking about using Turbo Tax this year. Our return shouldn't be too difficult, mostly mortgage interest deductions, medical, student loan, etc. Looking at the site it looks like it would cost almost as much as I paid last year when you figure in buying the deluxe and state return. The reason I want to try it is I could get it done faster. With the accountant we use it takes about 2 weeks to get an appointment then we have to wait another 2 weeks before he's done. Anyone have any experience with it? Pros/Cons? Thanks!!

We've used it for years now -- very easy process for the most part. The only area I've found, so far, that it really overcomplicates is any stocks you get through your company -- RSU, ESPP, etc. I always have to go around the web to get advice for handling this correctly on Turbotax.

Otherwise, been great.

Definitely check around for discounts. We go through our bank to get a discount for the online version.

Anna_Marie said:
Thinking about using Turbo Tax this year. Our return shouldn't be too difficult, mostly mortgage interest deductions, medical, student loan, etc. Looking at the site it looks like it would cost almost as much as I paid last year when you figure in buying the deluxe and state return. The reason I want to try it is I could get it done faster. With the accountant we use it takes about 2 weeks to get an appointment then we have to wait another 2 weeks before he's done. Anyone have any experience with it? Pros/Cons? Thanks!!

Just filed our return today! 3rd year in a row for us and its so easy I was able to do it through my iPhone! Not munched changes for us so it was a matter of just plugging in our w2 and mortgage interest info. Always have been pleased with their site and getting every deduction. I would recommend it!

We have used the Deluxe version for the past 4 years and love it. It tallies up how much you are getting back every step of the way. Which is something I like because is shows how much of a difference certain things make such as a simple clothing donation net us an extra $35 on our return. I was able to play around with the numbers and relized that if we increase our contributions to our HSA medical savings acct by $100 a month we could get back a few extra hundred dollars in our taxes.

Its easy and if you have questions you can look up the question and get an answer in a matter of seconds. Usually takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete everything. Then the money get deposit in our acct in about 10-14 days.

Used for first time last year and loved it. Showed me step by step on all my DD college expenses and deductions. Can't wait to get started this year ....wait did I just say that??:lmao:

I have used turbo for 4 year now and love it. We have a ton of medical bills and it makes it so easy for us.
You can save $10 if you use your discover card to buy the deluxe program at turbotax.com/go/Disc1

Used the free version last year, and I thought it was great. Tried to use the free version again this year, but it wouldn't allow rental income, so had to upgrade to basic. It would have ended up costing us upwards of $60 to file state and federal with basic.

Had a question and finally got in touch with customer service. The program is insisting that we file a particular form - we have never needed this form before and still are not required to file it this year. CS Rep gave me a free download of the deluxe version and said I just had to delete the forms, efile, and I would be all set. Thought everything looked good - went ahead and efiled. Apparently deleting those forms didn't work because it's still showing that our return won't be processed until the IRS gets that form ready which could be the middle of March.

Still like Turbo Tax, just a little frustrated with it this go round.

I think I paid $39.99 for the deluxe and it includes state for free, plus a free federal efile. Surely an accountant charged more than that.

I do all the itemized deductions and have not had any problem with TT. I use it every year.

I've used Turbo Tax for...more years than I can count.

My taxes started out easy, and have gotten more complicated. I also do my stepfather's taxes (with rental income), my brother's 1040EZ, and I do corporate taxes with Turbo Tax business. 2 years ago it took me 2 weeks, last year around a week, this year it was almost perfect in around 7 hours!

Filed mine today, IRS should accept it tomorrow morning, figure even with the back-log I should have my refunds before February is over.

BTW: you can download one state free when you buy the disc, and NY is free to e-file bc they require it (no paper returns allowed)

I downloaded the Deluxe version with free state plus free Fed efile for $37.99 off Amazon last night. You won't find any competent accountant to do it for that price. I've used Turbo Tax for 10+ years with no problems.

Ours was a bit too complicated for me this year. So we went to hnrblock. $400 later....it should b all set for irs tomoro lol.
Dont thnk thse turbo tax prices r that bad at all and will consider it for next year.

I looked at their website and you can get the deluxe for 29.99 plus 36.99 for state. I was going to just go on and use their website but now I'm confused... I should buy and download it somewhere from besides their site? (That amazon deal sounds great!) Why does it work like that? Sorry if I sound dumb, :) I'm new to this.

It just depends on if you like a hard copy (disk) or if you are ok with a digital download. It is all the same software. With Amazon you can download now, where with a disk you have to go out and buy it.

Over many years, I have used the three most popular tax programs (boxed versions) - Turbo Tax, H&R Block, and TaxAct. Of the three, TaxAct is the cheapest, and in my opinion has been the best. I do taxes for several family members, and so far have never had a problem.

The feature I like the most with TaxAct, is that it allows you to do a print preview on the monitor, and print select pages. This is useful for when I want to test various scenarios for things like re-characterization of an Ira conversion. I haven't used Turbo Tax in several years; it always seemed quite a bit more expensive than the other two, and I did not feel it was any better.

I've used turbo tax for the past 3 years and absolutely LOVED it! I have used other online programs in years past but the Georgia tax website suggested a version of turbo tax that would let me file state for free which is awesome.

Their customer service is beyond amazing as well, I finally convinced my grandmother to let me do hers instead of paying H&R block $250ish and when I was done it had her refund as $0 for both state and federal, where the previous year she good a small refund from both, I called and the guy I got spent at least an hour on the phone going through this year and last years papers trying to figure out why she got a refund last year but not this year...turns out it was one of those credits and because she took out money from one of her accounts I believe, but the level of customer service from a free service was above and beyond.

Dad has used TT for years. I've done it the last 5 years myself. I personally buy disk which includes 1 free e file and than mail in state and city or last couple years used the state I file site to e file those returns for free, it just requires me retyping in a few numbers but for 20.00 bucks + I can do that.

You might want to try TaxHawk. I changed over to it 2 years ago when turbo tax started withholding forms to make you buy their deluxe version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter