Experience with rollators in the parks?

Tink575

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any experience or tips using a rollator in the parks? I thought the rollator could help my balance, give me something to lean on, and provide a seat, now that the benches are fewer and farther between.

I can't use an ECV due to poor and no side vision, picture a horse with blinders on. My dh can't push me around in a wheelchair, due to his own (invisible) disabilities.

Thoughts anyone? I used to get a GAC for vision problems and no stairs, but I've been too intimidated to ask lately :X Now since we are frequent visitors I've been muddling around as best I can and then we go home.

I agree in your situation, it sounds like a rollator would be helpful.
I have seen many people using them in the parks over the past few years. Even with the rollator, it is too much walking for some people. For others, the support provided by using the rollator, plus having a place to sit when they need to is just what they need.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread or look for it near the top of this board. Post 32 on page 3 is about using walkers and rollators in the parks.

I have seen quite a few people with rollators in the parks recently. I suggest getting drink holders (I got mine at Walgreens, but you can get them cheaper online) as well as a baggy to hold things. I find having a bag and cup holders one of the greatest things about my wheelchair!

KPeveler said:
I have seen quite a few people with rollators in the parks recently. I suggest getting drink holders (I got mine at Walgreens, but you can get them cheaper online) as well as a baggy to hold things. I find having a bag and cup holders one of the greatest things about my wheelchair!

Thank you a cup holder and baggy would be great! My dh carries two water bottles in a sporting waist pack, but it is getting harder for him to do. I use a small Vera Bradley bag, light weight and I only carry absolute essentials, ID, tickets, some money and my meds.

He can go on rides I can't, so I need my glucometer and meds on me in case I need them while I wait for him. He has a knack of getting on rides that practically have no line, or using a fastpass, and break down as soon as he is on them.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My sister used one for one of our trips before her mobility got worse. It was a great help. It is usually viewed just like a wheelchair so follow the same instructions as for them. She has a pocket under the seat of her's so it helped her carry things. It made it easier if she got tired and there were no available places to sit.

I did my first trip with a rollator in October this past year and am going again with mine in April. It was a HUGE help for me and I didn't encounter any real issues with it except at Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean...and at Haunted Mansion I know now that I just need to speak up for myself and tell them I need to take it all the way to where you get on the ride. The walk they made me take was just too long without it. Pirates...well...there was just a long wait to get it after I got off the ride. At least I could lean on a wall while I waited...I felt very bad for the small girl waiting for her wheelchair.

Just read up on what to expect at the various rides in terms of handicap entrance. You won't need a GAC if you have the rollator (unless you have other issues that you need it for besides the mobility ones). It might also help to have someone with you at Haunted Mansion if you go through and wait in the stretching room...my family had to sort of surround me and alert people that I had the walker since they couldn't see it in the dark room.

Otherwise it really worked out wonderfully and I was able to sit whenever I needed to, whether in line or waiting for the parade/fireworks, or whatever.

I did my first trip with a rollator in October this past year and am going again with mine in April. It was a HUGE help for me and I didn't encounter any real issues with it except at Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean...and at Haunted Mansion I know now that I just need to speak up for myself and tell them I need to take it all the way to where you get on the ride. The walk they made me take was just too long without it. Pirates...well...there was just a long wait to get it after I got off the ride. At least I could lean on a wall while I waited...I felt very bad for the small girl waiting for her wheelchair.
The reason for the wait is that the boarding area and unload area are in 2 different buildings - and the exit is one floor down from where you enter.
That is why they prefer for people to use a wheelchair from the attraction rather than their own mobility device.
Just read up on what to expect at the various rides in terms of handicap entrance. You won't need a GAC if you have the rollator (unless you have other issues that you need it for besides the mobility ones). It might also help to have someone with you at Haunted Mansion if you go through and wait in the stretching room...my family had to sort of surround me and alert people that I had the walker since they couldn't see it in the dark room.

Otherwise it really worked out wonderfully and I was able to sit whenever I needed to, whether in line or waiting for the parade/fireworks, or whatever.
You can pick up a special park map for guests with disabilities for each park. They list the 'mobility entrance' for each attraction. In general, most attractions are accessible thru the regular line.

Thank you all so much!

The GAC was mainly for my vision, of help for shows. Stairs are a problem but I can manage if the line is longer, because people go slower. The standing takes a toll though. You should see my score on Toy Story and Buzz :rotfl2:
I persevere with those rides because the dh loves them and has eagle eyes.

My retinas are reattached and it takes a LONG time for me to have vision in the dark. My straight forward vision is nothing to write home about either, and my vision field is forward only.

Now the dh is pretty well deaf and that has its own challenges, but he's my eyes in the park and I'm his ears!

... I used to get a GAC for vision problems and no stairs, but I've been too intimidated to ask lately :X Now since we are frequent visitors I've been muddling around as best I can and then we go home.

Please don't let controversy on these boards deter you from requesting GACs for the assistance you need for your vision and hearing disabilities. Vision and/or hearing issues can be tricky to accommodate at WDW, but if you've had success in the past definitely request the same things. The rollator will make it obvious that you have a mobility need; vision and hearing are invisible and therefore need a GAC.

Enjoy your vacation!

Please don't let controversy on these boards deter you from requesting GACs for the assistance you need for your vision and hearing disabilities. Vision and/or hearing issues can be tricky to accommodate at WDW, but if you've had success in the past definitely request the same things. The rollator will make it obvious that you have a mobility need; vision and hearing are invisible and therefore need a GAC.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks so much and thanks to everyone here. I'm now checking out rollators and the next decision is do I buy the smallest one, fine for me, or get the one that is good for more weight, in case my dh should need it for part of the time in the parks. His knees are very bad, but I haven't been able to talk him into seeing the Dr. yet <aargh>.

Yes, I can now see the faker allegations coming if we switch off on it :X

Thanks so much and thanks to everyone here. I'm now checking out rollators and the next decision is do I buy the smallest one, fine for me, or get the one that is good for more weight, in case my dh should need it for part of the time in the parks. His knees are very bad, but I haven't been able to talk him into seeing the Dr. yet <aargh>.

Yes, I can now see the faker allegations coming if we switch off on it :X

I found one on Amazon from Duramed, it actually does not have the front bar, [
This is mine, $89.99

500.JPG

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...el_&CAID=6d6b7927-4bd6-4017-8546-c1ce01beffde

Make sure that the rollator fits you properly. If you and your husband are quite different in height it might be hard to share one. If it is high for you, your shoulders and neck could get sore if you are using it the most. The best height for a walker is: when you are standing with your arms at your side, the handles should be at wrist height. This allow your elbows to bend a little and support you. If it is any easy adjustable one, then it would be easier to share! And...make sure you lock the brakes before you sit so it doesn't roll from underneath you! Sorry, that is the physical therapist coming out in me!!:)

Thank you both! My dh is over a foot taller than me so sharing could be a problem. I'm still considering and looking around. Now if only this snow would go away. We don't have a lot, but it is one icy crusty 1" covering. I get nervous looking out the door while the dh tries to spread the ice melt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter