Expensive Shampoo - I don't want to love it, but I do, dangit

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I am a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to hair products. Drug store brands have always been good enough for my entire life.

However, since menopause, my hair is thinner and less-than in every way. The only time, and I mean only time, it looks great, is the day I come home from a cut.

This past week, I noticed that normally, my hair looks and feels dry, brittle, straw-like, and just plain not attractive. I got my hair cut and noticed my hair looked great, felt like thick silk, was flowy and shiny. What on earth could be different?

Duh... The shampoo and conditioner.

The salon I frequent uses Aveda products. I love how my hair looks and feels but the prices..OUCH. I've read you don't have to use as much and I don't wash my hair every day. I'm wondering if there are any other nice brands maybe not quite as high that leave your hair salon-pretty.

I sure wish there were sample sizes where I could try them out.

I've definitely reached the tipping point and may have to just do it. I'm tired of not feeling pretty and feeling embarrassed about my hair.

Any products you can recommend?

I am a big fan of the John Frieda products. Whenever I use another I feel the difference. I also make good use of the conditioners that comes in my hair colour boxes. They say once a week and they really do add a nice shine as well as softness. They are great to travel with as well.

I like Paul Mitchell products and my salon uses them, but I get them from a beauty supply place and get the generic brand for much cheaper. The beauty supply place is where hair dressers shop, but it's open to the general public without showing proof of being a beautician.

I love Pantene

However I also use DH's Alba Botanica Shampoo & Conditioner-MAINLY for their HEAVENLY Hawaiian scents

Pantene is pretty good.
I really love Nexuus but its pricey... i only buy it at Costco because I can buy the really huge container and it lasts for quite a long time.

I've used Aveda products for the past 15 years. The prices really shot up in the last 6 years or so with the 1 liter bottles almost doubling in cost for the product line that I use. However, it takes me about 6 months to go through a 1 liter bottle of product with washing my hair almost daily so they do last for a while. Aveda does make travel sizes, but not for all of their product groups.

I've found that my hair looks so good after the salon, not really because of the shampoo, but because of how they style it and seal the cuticle or whatever round brush magic they do.

I have curly hair so air dry and it's super thick so I go through shampoo like nobody's business. I've spent so much on salon shampoos and conditioners only to have them disappoint.

My favorite right now is Soapbox (found at target). It's sulfate free and $5.99/bottle, which isn't too bad. It's very nourishing and bonus the company provides a month's supply potable water to a community in need.

Beauty supply may be a good place to check. I've gotten some great deals on hair products at Nordstrom Rack and a friend of mine says she's found deals at TJ Maxx. Try Amazon as well.

My daughter and I both have used Aveda products for years. We don't need a lot and think they are worth the price.

I'm the same as you. I *want* so badly to be able to use drugstore products, but my hair hates them. I've always had fine, thin hair (but lots of it thankfully) but nothing seems to really help my hair other than some salon products. I do very well with Alterna. Aveda is good too. I don't do that well with Paul Mitchell, though, for some reason.

I am the same way. I have thin hair and it is most certainly the shampoo and conditioner I use. I have tried a ton of the cheaper products and my hair does not do as well. I do believe I use less product when I use salon products. I've also noticed that I don't have to mess with my hair as much when styling it because my hair behaves better.

You're better off investing in what you love than throwing away money on cheaper alternatives that don't give you the results you want.
This. You'd likely try at least a couple of other kinds while searching for the right one, which would be a waste of time and money. I like the tip upthread about asking if your preferred products come in a travel-size (lots of things do now). :wave2:

I have curly hair so I usually stick to salon type products. I have bought lots of curly definer, leave in conditioners and anti frizz products in my lifetime.

I agree, I have fine, wavy, fizzy hair and can tell a difference between salon and drug store. After I hit 40 it really started changing, then add peri and Hashimoto to the mix and its a complete mess! That being said, my hair does like the Pantene Age Defying line. I love Aveda Blue Malva and the hydrating Purology. I'm now searching for a styling product that won't cause my thin hair to look thinner on the ends but works as a great defrizzer. Any suggestions??

I used Aveda for so long, but it was so drying to my hair. My stylists also say the same thing about Aveda and they recommend Kerastase which is also the other line besides Aveda at the salon. What a difference!~ Also, the styling products are really what make a huge difference. I use a mousse and heat protectant since I blow dry my hair.

http://www.kerastase-usa.com/

You will waste more money trying to find cheaper alternatives to what you like.
Just go for it and buy the products that work for you!

I know I love the Loreal professional line and have been using it for at least 15 years or more. They run about $30 a bottle each. Each and every time I try something else, I never like it as much.

LOVE my Pureology NanoWorks. (designed for aging and/or color treated hair)
Thank goodness my stylist sells it to me for very little mark-up, a good discount on MSRP.

I can remember using Nexxus products, years ago.
Unless they have majorly updated their formulations, I could never use them.
Last time I tried them, I swear one could give an 18-wheeler a lube job with the oils an silicone left in my hair.

PS: For my hair, to make it manageable and more silky, I have to do a blow-out, with my hair dryer on high/hot, and my nice large round styling brush.
That makes all the difference.

The only shampoo I will use is Alterna because it's the only brand that gives me the results I want. $22/bottle & I couldn't possibly care less. It's a bargain price for something that helps me look/feel my best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter