• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expedition Everest was my biggest nightmare!

marmermea

Mouseketeer
I shudder now when I think about it. I just got back last night. I pretty much rode everything in every park except spinning rides like the teacups, Mission Space and Rockin' Roller Coaster. But nothing could prepare me for EE! I had no idea it would be so terrifying! And please answer me this, when we went backwards down that hill and we were in the dark, my stomach just lurched as if we went upside down or something. What was it that we did in the dark??? Anyway, I felt sick, I felt dizzy and it couldn't end soon enough for me. I didn't feel well for a couple of hours, and I usually am game for anything! I know many will disagree with me, my DH and my DD - age 8 LOVED it. But EE has seen the last of me! And seriously, what happened in the dark?

You rode a helix, sorry I find it exhilarating and love EE. No inversion!

I'm not sure what happens in the dark, but I LOVE EE! Rode it for the first time last week. But I will say this, I rode it pretty much 3 times in a row and after the third time I, too, felt a little sick. But that won't stop me. I plan on taking my DH on it in December.
The best part was riding in the front seat for my first trip. My mom could've killed me! We got a good picture out of it though!!

Lori

That definitely ended the thought of that for me! I'm a weakling when it comes to roller coasters, thanks for the warning! I'll be happy to watch my DH come off of it!

dgaston,

What, exactly is a helix?

And to the other poster who said "thanks for the warning", I am glad if you are doubtful about this type of ride that I can spare you what I went through. I wish I had had been warned. You hear warnings about Mission Space all the time, but I had not seen anthing about this one. Or did I not look carefully enough?

I knew right from the get-go that EE would not be for me. But my 24 year old son, who rides EVERYTHING at EVERY park including Cedar Point and Islands of Adventure, got really dizzy and sick on this ride, too. We actually had to leave the park so he could go and lay down for a while. Don't know what did it, but it did it to him!

marmermea said:
Anyway, I felt sick, I felt dizzy and it couldn't end soon enough for me. I didn't feel well for a couple of hours,

That's exactly what my experience on it was. I had to sit in a quiet spot in the shade for quite a while to get a grip. My friends went off and did some trails while I recovered.

A Helix is a very tight turn that puts you on more of a sslant then completely upside down. But because of the speed ,going backwards and tightness of the turn you feel like your upside down when you aren't.

just keep you head straight when going backwards and you should be fine.

From what I've read, EE is an intense thrill ride, and with all top notch thrill rides, there are going to be individuals whose body chemistry just can't handle the g forces being placed on them. Everyone is different, there is no one solution fits all when it comes to rides like EE. Best choice is if you don't want to ride it, then don't; that's what's great about WDW, there is so much to offer if you choose to sit something out. Ride what you want and have a great time. JMO

I didn't get dizzy but my eyes were closed except for maybe 3 seconds. EE scared the daylights out of me!

Thanks. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one - not that I'm glad that some of you went through this too!

And thanks for the explanation of the helix. I knew something strong happened, I just couldn't figure out what it was because it was dark. My DH thought I was crazy so now I can tell him there was an explanation!

DH got so sick on this one I had to get a CM to call paramedics!!!!!!!

After taking his blood pressure and blood sugar (both were normal they took him to first aid so he could rest!!!

then when he felt alittle better guest relations took us back to the CBR were he rested some more and I went to the MK by myself (its a weird feeling to be there alone)

when I got back the CMs from the gift shoppe that called paparmedics had sent over a gift package there was a t-shirt for each of us and a souviner book

next day DH felt better but it sure took the fun out of out last nite!!!

Since I haven't been there since EE opened I have to ask - do you go backward through a helix?

I rode it 7 times in a row in Sept and would have rode more but we had to leave. I don't thinks its that intense compared to many coasters I've ridden. Its about a 6 out of 10!

Yes you do a backwards helix (you can feel the blood pooling in your legs/feet) in the dark. It's (to me) just a tad more intense than BTMR in MK. The ride is very smooth and does not invert you. Plus the theming is incredible. We moved too quickly thru the que line on our F & W trip.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I can do rollercoasters...I cannot spin though. I can just about handle RnR, bcuz it's so smooth.

Has anyone done Revenge of the Mummy (at 'that other park') to compare for me?

DisneyBlonde said:
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I can do rollercoasters...I cannot spin though. I can just about handle RnR, bcuz it's so smooth.

Has anyone done Revenge of the Mummy (at 'that other park') to compare for me?

Yes, I've been on both...The Mummy has a very short backwords drop that only lasts about 2 seconds, then you DO get launched rather quickly up to 40mph, but I dont think its as intense as the launch on RnRC. The other parts are pretty smooth, and actually not very long at all, its like a faster Space Mountain, but much smoother and not as tight in the turns.

I would say that overall EE is a bit more intense since it's almost all coaster, whereas the Mummy is practically 1/2 dark ride and 1/2 coaster.

BTW, I thought EE was pretty tame compared to other rides like RnRC.

Here's a picture of a Helix so you all know what it is:

HelixRCT.JPG

that can be at a different angle though, so the forces can be different. EE is kinda weird since it is difficult to tell whether it's a downward helix or an upward one

I loved RnRC!! I saw one poster comment that EE is tamer. What do you all think? If I can handle RnRC should EE be easy? We were planning on riding it first at arriving to AK. I just don't want to spoil my whole day!

Much thanks! :daisy:

I think it's an upward one but I could be wrong. If it's upwards, it would explain the G forces that pull you down towards your seat, which may be the reason why people wonder if they are going backwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter