expedition everest vs. kilamanjaro safari

cricket00

Earning My Ears
we'll be heading to AK for the first time in june. expedition everest looks incredible. and kilamanjaro safari looks....fun.

i keep seeing threads/advice about going straight to the safari @RD, but to honest, EE looks way more exciting! we've done RDs before and headed to our favorite rides and been able to ride 1, 2, 3 times in a row without getting off (esp. BTM @MK!) is this also the case @EE in AK?

if so, i think we'll plan to head straight to EE instead of going directly to the safari and just plan to grab FPs for that later. or is there something i'm missing? i realize that everyone says the animals are more active in the morning, but i'd still rather ride on EE a few times and take my chances with the animals being less active later.

can you fill me in?
TY. ;)

Personally, I go straight to EE, get fastpasses for the family, and meet them all at the safari. By the time we wait (early) standby on KS, the FP are about due at EE, which we may even ride twice at that time if Stand by is not too long.

Then I run for FP at Kali, and we ride PW and Dinosaur while we wait for those to come due. You can always FP EE again instead of Kali. We get all the major headliners out of the way by 3 hours into the day, then see shows, eat, and explore until we ride stuff again during and after the parade.

You need a FP runner to do quickly, and you need to be there at Rope drop to be this efficient.

I'm 100% with you, and that is what we do when we go. We end up riding EE three or four times with little to no wait. EE is my favorite ride, so we always head straight there, ride it a few times, and get fastpasses for later. Then we head to KJ and either ride it standby or get fastpasses. EE is so much fun!

i dont see why you wouldnt send a runner to EE to get fast passes while heading to the safari.. on your way to ride EE you get a fastpass for the kali river rapids.. if you want to ride EE more than once hop in the single riders line

I'm 100% with you, and that is what we do when we go. We end up riding EE three or four times with little to no wait. EE is my favorite ride, so we always head straight there, ride it a few times, and get fastpasses for later. Then we head to KJ and either ride it standby or get fastpasses. EE is so much fun!

This is what we do and have ridden ee as many as 3 times in a row. Got a fp for later then head to safari. Will see how this works however with new Fp+ system this summer:confused3

also keep in mind after the parade AK clears out a lot so you can always go back and redo a lot of the rides then if you stay late.

EE is definitely are favourite ride at AK. Last summer we rode it about 5 times in a row at rope drop. We got our fix. then we got fast passes for KS and then KRR because we prefer to ride these rides only once.

I must be in the minority - I always do KS first! The animals ARE more active in the morning and I would rather do that before it gets too hot & jam-packed! I do have to admit though, EE didn't do a whole lot for me, but even still I enjoy the safari first thing!

i think we'll plan to head straight to EE instead of going directly to the safari and just plan to grab FPs for that later.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1::thumbsup2:thumbsup2

One time I even cheated (shhh!). The family walked to the Safari, and I ran for FPs for EE. I got them, but then decided they could wait just a few minutes more, so I jumped in the 5 minute standby line and rode once before I went to meet them at KS. :cool1:

I always go straight to EE in the morning, and a lot o the time, we manage to get upwards of 6 rides in a row on it! It's a ride that I say you have to ride at least 3 times! Once in the very front, once in the very back, and once just wherever!!

I say go straight there at RD, ride as many times as you like, grab a fast pass, go over to the safari, ride it standby! That's what I usually do!

I would definitely recommend using the single rider line for EE, if that's an option for you. I once rode three times in about 20 minutes this way.

I highly recommend the safari ride, but if that's not as interesting to you, then I' I'd head to EE first. But please give KS a try -- it might not be as "exciting" as EE, but it's really cool.

One time I even cheated (shhh!). The family walked to the Safari, and I ran for FPs for EE. I got them, but then decided they could wait just a few minutes more, so I jumped in the 5 minute standby line and rode once before I went to meet them at KS. :cool1:

I won't tell because I do that all the time too. I am the FP runner and I grab the first one of the day while the guys take our little guy to a ride right away.Many times I sneak a ride in too! Have done this at the mountains, EE, etc.

We go get FP for EE and ride the safari first because my youngest DS will not ride EE and while he does have to wait on the others later, I don't make him wait first thing in the am. We get a FP for the first ride then do single ride line if we want to go again. I caution getting an early am FP for Kali unless the weather is warm enough to strip down or be wet for quite a while. We have gotten so wet when it was colder that we have to go back to the room to change.

Go on an EMH morning and get about 10 EE rides in. LOL

We did this last trip. Got a FP first thing, kids rode about 7 times, then it was time to get another fast pass.

Rode Dinosaur standby twice in a row then went back and used first fast pass about two min. before it expired then second fast pass. Then single rider. Was great.

(It was off season though too, so that probably helped that they were able to run off and back in again, while I enjoyed my coffee. :thumbsup2)

The other day we did KS first thing at RD then headed straight to EE got FP, rode standby twice with no wait. Again, off season. We saw a lot more animals first thing in the morning than we did our previous trip when we waited til afternoon.

The old model used to be to run to get EE fastpasses, then return to Safaris to ride standby. Now, I think there's a good argument made for going to EE to ride standby (perhaps twice, if you're up for it and if the lines are manageable), then go to Safaris.

Depending on lines, riding Standby might be a good idea here. You could also grab FP and then do something else in the meantime. If the window isn't too far out this would be a perfect time to enjoy the Pangani Trail with very few people, or to go over to Rafiki's Planet Watch to see if they're doing any vet procedures. Going to Dino Land at this point isn't a bad idea either.

If it was me, I would do this.
1. Ride EE standby
2. Grab FP for Safari
3. Ride Safari standby
4. Enjoy Pangani or Rafiki
5. Ride Safari with FP obtained
6. Head back to Asia for Kali, EE FastPass, Flights of Wonder, Maharaja

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter