Expedition Everest - Intensity and Motion Sickness??

My wife struggles with motion sickness, but didn't have any issues with EE.
Star Tours is the worst for her. She also had some issues towards the end of FoP. She's ridden Space Mountain as well, but doesn't plan on doing that one again.

I was surprised how intense EE was. I thought it would be more like BTMRR but it was a noticeable step up. Going backwards in the dark was a lot. The experience made my daughter nervous to try Space Mountain Maybe next trip.

Since you mention the Tea Cups, I would think carefully about EE. I cannot ride the Tea Cups due to the spinning, actually just looking at them is a bit of an issue. I rode EE once. It was okay until the backward helix. From that point I was just hanging on a hoping the ride would end soon. DH had to help me out of my seat. It then took us 90 minutes to get to the front of the park as I had to stop and rest several times. Ever since then, he rides it alone and I go look at animals.

I am not a big thrill ride fan, but have done everything else but Mission Space Orange without any issues.

Oh my, you sound much like me. I have done Everest and never again!!! Going backwards at high rate of speed made me🤢. No Mission Space or Star Tours either. I was so proud of myself when I gave Flight of Passage a try. I closed my eyes a lot, lol, but will ride it again! Tea cups made me feel ill all day. I want to be brave, but I don't want to spend the rest of the day queasy!!

My wife struggles with motion sickness, but didn't have any issues with EE.
Star Tours is the worst for her. She also had some issues towards the end of FoP. She's ridden Space Mountain as well, but doesn't plan on doing that one again.
I don’t have motion sickness, but Star Tours got me last trip. I had to look down. Nothing else bothers me so it was weird.

I love EE, BUT the going backwards, fast, in the dark with the twists and turns is awful!!! I thought I was going to get sick the first time I rode it. I love the ride without the backward stuff, but I decided to go ahead and ride it again. I knew that it was coming and mentally and physically prepared myself (pushing with me legs while going backwards helped). I still ride it, but it still makes makes me a little sick afterwards.
I do TOT, and Star Tours. I don't find ST very jerky at all. You can look away from the screen if it bothers you.
I did Mission Space, Once, and I was sick for over an hour afterwards with nausea and dizziness. I had to sit down for a while because of the extreme dizziness. I'm not claustrophobic, but it is very close in the little cab, and I guess it is like a barrell which they spin for the ride. Ick.
If I was you, I wouldn't even try EE if going backwards in darkness with turns bothers you.

DIS703:

Do you know what tends to make you motion sick? For example, I can spin; but DH can not spin. I can't do motion simulators; DH can. I can cruise on a ship rocking up and down, or side to side, but not if it's doing both at the same time effectively cork-screwing through the waves.
I consider RnR like a motion simulator because the lighted signs in the dark cause what I see and they way my body is moving to not match. I have ridden RnR when it was smooth and with my eyes closed and loved it. Then I got a rough ride (row toward back) that I thought was going to dislocate my breasts while my head banged back and forth on the restraint. Rough ride is also why I no longer do Space Mountain. I'm fine on BTMRR. I can't do Star Tours which is not intense but is a motion simulator. ToT for me depends on how many drops - I wish they had a wimp line where they drop you once and done, but I can't handle longer random and unexpected ups and downs.
So about EE - you might be okay depending on whether it's G-forces or motion simulation or certain types of motion that set you off. The part when you shoot backward then down while steeply curving is intense regarding G-forces - it really pushes you against your seat, but it's smooth and not that long. The ride also has no parts where the visual cues and what your body is actually doing conflict. I have found that if my diet and digestion are normal and I take ginger capsules a hour before riding, I can do EE. If my body is a bit off from travelling, EE will ruin me for hours. I usually decide depending on how I'm feeling that day. Enjoy your adventures, however you choose to define them and whether you ride or not - you do you 👍

I would personally recommend skipping it. The backwards part might be short, but it gets to me "motion sickness' and then I just don't feel that great for an hour or two after. That means I skip it now. I do R&RC (It's a little jerky for my taste, but OK) and Tower of Terror (I love the theming and have always liked the drop sensation), but Expedition Everest does me in. I can't do Tea Cups or round and round rides either now. And I skip Mission Space and Star Tours, due to my susceptibility to motion sickness (simulator rides really get me). I will do Space Mountain (a little jerkier than I like, but fine, and it's a favorite of my son's). I think Space Mountain is tamer than R&RC.

These days I like tamer things like Big Thunder Mountain and Soar'in most. In my younger days I did everything without an issue, but starting at age 40 and I'm 60 now I am more susceptible to motion sickness and pass on more things.

Last edited:
DIS703:

Do you know what tends to make you motion sick? For example, I can spin; but DH can not spin. I can't do motion simulators; DH can. I can cruise on a ship rocking up and down, or side to side, but not if it's doing both at the same time effectively cork-screwing through the waves.

Spinning is definitely a problem for me and motion simulation is a big one as well. I manage fine on Soarin, but FoP I have a hard time with the speed of things on the screen. I found on that one if I focus my eyes up to parts of the screen with less activity I do much better. But having been on it at least 6 or 7 times now it varies on how well I tolerate it. Smugglers Run was pretty unpleasant and I won’t likely try that one again.

The neon lights in the dark combined with the speed of R&RC was way too much for me. Hard stops also get me but I usually recover from those relatively quickly. Boats are an absolutely no for me too. But I can’t recall ever being on a ride that goes backwards. I do however normally have to turn and look the direction I’m going if in a car or on a train that’s is backing up.

If I’m already feeling off I’ll skip these types of rides anyhow. And I make sure I never ride with a full stomach.

Sounds like it may be worth a try. For the most part motion simulators and ToT are the only ones that left me sick for a significant amount of time. I’m gonna watch they ride video a few times and see how I feel once I’m there.

Thanks for the feedback!

EE the backwards in the dark pulls a few Gs and is in the dark so that may cause problems. The rest is ok. Star Tours is milder than Body Wars.

I self-improve with meclizine for every theme park trip and EE is pretty much the only ride I can’t handle even with medication. The backwards part makes me feel like I’ve gone blind for the few seconds after it happens, which I know sounds odd but is exactly what happens, and I can’t shake that effect until long after I’ve gotten off the ride. I can handle Hagrid’s and every coaster at WDW (can’t do RR because the launch makes me feel too ill), but for some reason, the backwards part on EE gets me in a way that Hagrid’s doesn’t. I think it’s the curve.

The part of EE that bothers me are the very tight turns after you come down off the mountain. I find the older I get the less I can tolerate.FOP I did close my eyes a lot. I wish I could just fly on the bird to enjoy the scenery but then the ride has the bird dive bomb through the trees - that is when I close my eyes.

I just rode EE for the first time in November '20. I think that EE was my last hold out. I was so distracted by my SIL screaming that the ride was over before I knew so I want to ride it again. Currently I think RnRC is more intense. As I get older the roller-coasters are starting to bother my neck no matter how much I push into the head rest - too much side to side motion. I don't remember EE as having much side to side motion.

As I've gotten older I've found that I can't handle certain rides. EE used to be a breeze for me and I could ride it back to back multiple times. Now, I can ride it but when I get off I have a headache, not so much sick. BTMRR is no problem, SDMT easy peasy. I can't ride Star Tours or Mission Space. I can ride FoP, the first time I rode it, was very uncomfortable but that was because the glasses were way to big for my head and that just made it worse. The second time I rigged up a way to tuck the glasses into a headband (looked weird but hey it kept them on) and it was better but I was still a little dizzy when I got off. The third time they had made smaller glasses so they fit and I even sort of enjoyed it. Can not ride RnRc because I'm height challenged and sort of little and my head doesn't reach the head restraints all the way. My poor little head gets bounced around like a bowling ball so my neck hurts, I get a head ache, even when I try to brace my head back against the seat it doesn't work. Space Mountain doesn't make me sick but it hurts - bad. The jerkiness is just too much. I can ride MFSR no problems so I'm not sure why Star Tours bothers me. ToT is my favorite ride in the parks and have been known to get off it and back on up to 4 or 5 times, it doesn't bother me at all. The only problems I have with it is sometimes I get a little too much air when I come up off the seat the coming down back to the seat can hurt if it's too hard. Most of the time I just sort of float down instead of jolt down. I always come off the seat no matter how small the drop.

I think it really is going to depend on what triggers it for you. I don't think EE is bad roller coaster wise but I'm thinking the jerkiness might be what gets me.

Fun fact, there are plenty of roller coasters out there that go upside down and only have a lap bar, I love those. And there are a handful that don't go upside down, but still have the over the shoulder restraints.

I like fun facts.

Not so sure how I would feel about no shoulder restraints on the upside down. Its not a matter of when the ride is moving; it’s the chance you get stuck on the top part of a loop.

DIS703:

I consider RnR like a motion simulator because the lighted signs in the dark cause what I see and they way my body is moving to not match. I have ridden RnR when it was smooth and with my eyes closed and loved it. Then I got a rough ride (row toward back) that I thought was going to dislocate my breasts while my head banged back and forth on the restraint. Rough ride is also why I no longer do Space Mountain. I'm fine on BTMRR. I can't do Star Tours which is not intense but is a motion simulator. ToT for me depends on how many drops - I wish they had a wimp line where they drop you once and done, but I can't handle longer random and unexpected ups and downs.
So about EE - you might be okay depending on whether it's G-forces or motion simulation or certain types of motion that set you off. The part when you shoot backward then down while steeply curving is intense regarding G-forces - it really pushes you against your seat, but it's smooth and not that long. The ride also has no parts where the visual cues and what your body is actually doing conflict. I have found that if my diet and digestion are normal and I take ginger capsules a hour before riding, I can do EE. If my body is a bit off from travelling, EE will ruin me for hours. I usually decide depending on how I'm feeling that day. Enjoy your adventures, however you choose to define them and whether you ride or not - you do you 👍

Great sum up.

Amazing how different our reactions to rides are, other than these responders have some ride(s) that does a number on them.

I watched a YTube video of EE to see how it looks. Even that made me a little queasy. But it helps me make a strategy for next time - look out in the distance.

And there’s always enough other stuff to keep us going back to WDW. :)

I was convinced to try EE and did it against my better judgment. I ended up yakking in Yak and Yeti. Never again. 😂😂

The backwards part of EE is the most intense for sure with the drop and hill. The second intense part is the big drop and the upward helix part after. When in doubt, try for a middle row. Not sure if ECV people get a choice because I always ask for the back row because it's the best. (same with Slinky Dog)

It's not too bad, but some people don't like the backwards part. For me the worst part is the brake run at the end that is really jerky!

I don’t have motion sickness, but Star Tours got me last trip. I had to look down. Nothing else bothers me so it was weird.

I learned something about Star Tours as sometimes I feel a little sick on it and sometimes I don't - it's never serious but sometimes I really want it to be over! Anyway, it will greatly depend on where you sit since the axis of movement is in the center. If you sit closer to the center the sensation of movement will be lessened. If you are on the edges or the back, you will feel it more (keep in mind there is more room toward the front of the simulator with no seats so it's not the dead center of the seating area). Anyway, the worst seat for me is the last row on the outside, the one with no seats in front of it. It really does make a difference.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter