Expedition Everest for the soft stomach

kgibbler20

Mouseketeer
For those who have riden Expedition Everest I need some advice. My mom has a very soft stomach. Last year when we went to Disney we stuck to rides like Winnie the Pooh and Snow White. My mom would really like to ride Expedition Everest but I am concerned that she may get sick. Can anyone tell me how fast or rough or how much like a traditional roller coaster it is? I would like her to be able to ride it but I don't want to ruin the whole day.

Help!!!

We have done it, and also bring my parents twice a year with us on the same weekends every year. We just got back from 10 days, and my parents weekend is in 3 weeks. My mother has been going with us for years, my dad started coming in 2003. My mom has been on all the fast rides, RNR, TOT, etc... I am not putting her on EE. It's not a smooth, relaxing ride. It's pretty intense. Just thinking of your moms stomach, I would not. You wouldn't want to chance ruining her day. She would have fun watching you go on it, I'm sure. There are great viewing areas for non riders.

It's fairly smooth as roller coasters go (not like Big Thunder Mountain for example), but if she has a soft stomach, I'd say it's not a good idea. Going backwards is typically a problem for people with sensitive stomachs (it is for me anyway!). I can ride EE one time without dramamine, and it takes me about 20 minutes to "recover". You only go backwards for about 20 seconds, but you're wooshing pretty fast, and at a pretty good angle during that time, so it's very disorienting.

I always thought that I had a pretty hardy stomach until Expedition Everest came along! My body did not like the backward motion on the coaster. I did ride it two times (for free pics), and I will probably try it again next time we go to AK. I will be taking some kind of stomach meds before attempting EE. :sad2:

Better be safe than sorry and skip it. We had no problems but we love roller coasters.

I agree -- if stomach problems could be an issue -- she should pass EE.

EE can be a little dizzying.

Me and my sons sometimes get motion sickness while traveling in the car. We would like to enjoy some of the rides and want to know what works best. Any recomendations? Also - what are the worst rides as far as motion sickness that we should avoid?

I think motion depends on the person. My sister does not do well with drop rides.
But the spinners are the worse on me. I don't get sick. But I don't enjoy them enough to ride multiple times.

The queue area is said to be worth seeing - my advice is for her to go through the line with you and then take the "chicken" exit. Not as great as doing the ride, but better than just waiting outside, IMHO.

another vote for skipping it. I never get sick on roller coasters (I can't do simulators) but EE left me pretty dizzy!

You go 50 mph forward. Then you also go 40 mph backwards. 40 mph backwards is the soft stomach moment. In my opinion.

As far as stomach remedies, I highly recommend ginger tablets. I took a whale watch cruise and got sick to my stomach. They supplied ginger tablets which worked wonders

The first time I went on EE(at the AP preview,ASSports for 49 bucks!!),I went on it right after lunch. I attributed my queasy stomach to going on right after lunch. The second time(on my May trip),I went on an empty stomach. That time it wasn't as intense,but I still felt queasy,so I'm sad to say I won't be going on EE in the future.

She'd still have to walk to exit the park, get to the car, then ride to the hotel and get to her room before she could lay down.

I would honestly say that if your mom can handle BTMRR, Dinosaur, Splash Mountain and RnR, she can handle it. But if she cannot ride those 4 successfully, I would not have her ride it.

I agree with bytheblood.
I found Everest to be rougher in some ways than Thunder Mtn. There is a bigger drop and the going backwards can be disorienting. I didn't mind Everest, but if Thunder Mtn is a problem then I wouldn't try Everest.

I think the EE is a fairly smooth ride, unfortunately you go backwards rather quickly and do a helix that makes you feel like you are going upside down... it's rather disorienting. If your mother has a soft stomach I would say skip it.. :)

So EE is not a really jerky ride? I avoid all of the other rollercoasters and Splash Mountain because of the all the jerking around. Queasiness I can handle. Does it have less lateral jerking and sudden stops? I really would like to find a coaster I could still ride, I used to be such a coaster addict.

cjb71870 said:
She'd still have to walk to exit the park, get to the car, then ride to the hotel and get to her room before she could lay down.

That's a good point.

I guess I won't be going on it then...I was brave and started doing Space Mountain last year...this one sounds a little more intense ??!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter