• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expedition Everest Fear

Its worth going backwards for 10 seconds so you get to experience the rest of the ride. One of the best rides in WDW.

I rode EE for the first time last year. I am also scared of roller coasters. My DD (she is 11) has recently started asking to go to Universal to ride the big rides, and my DH and I have already decided we MUST bring a friend for her on that trip, because we will NOT ride any of those big coasters!

I SWEAR...PROMISE...EE is not bad. I rode it multiple times. I also like RnR...see, I do BETTER when the ride is dark and I have no idea of what is coming up. I love SM, too.

I will NOT ride ToT. I don't like that dropping feeling. I only begrudgingly go on Splash Mountain w/DD. I hate that drop! UGH!

DO IT! it is good to face your fears...and in the grand scheme of things, this is such a minor thing! Might help you face bigger fears through out your life! I know that sounds cheesy, but I kind of believe it!

I haven't done EE yet, but probably will when we go in 2 1/2 weeks but I went on ToT when we went last April for my first time. Even though I'm a roller coaster junkie, I'm afraid of heights, elevators and closed in spaces so that was a major step for me to do ToT. It is awesome!!! I'm doing it again (and probably again after that!!) this trip!! To me, the elevator was not small enough to make me feel closed in and the actual ride part was more about the story than the fall. The fall part never even gave me that little flip in the stomach that I get from the hills at SM or BTMRR!! I can't wait for DD19 to do it this time! She didn't get to last time because she was expecting.

We went to AK yesterday. DS10 and I had concerns about going on EE. We got up our nerve, and did it, and guess what---it was great! The ride is short enough so that it is pretty much over by the time you knuckles turn white. :D DS wanted to do it again right way. In fact, he won't stop talking about it.

I also suffer from motion sickness, but the ride didn't bother me a bit.

If you like BTMRR, you will like Everest. The backwards part is very short, and the "dark" part isn't that dark. It's a great ride. I was a rollercoaster scaredy cat for awhile too, but I love this ride (also RnRC...).

Yes yes I posed this back in September during my last trip but couldn't muster the strength to ride this ride. Basically im afraid of the backwards/dark part.

However I do like some Disney rollercoasters...HUGEEEE fan of Space Mountain & Thunder Mountain; but I will not touch Rock N Roller Coaster due to the corkscrew spiral nor the Tower or Terror due to I don't like falling.

Would I like this ride or would it be too much? :scared::scared:

Thanks!!

I hate hate hate the feeling I get on RNRC when it first starts, enough that I won't ride it - it would be an awesome ride for me if it didn't start out the way it does - and I also am very uncomfortable with falling, so you won't see me on ToT either. But I love EE!!!! Very fun ride. I admit the backwards part is kind of a weird sensation so sometimes I just close my eyes during that part - it helps. That part of the ride is pretty short. I say give it a try.

I think it's really fun! I think of it as a wilder Big Thunder Mountain. Not as intense as Rock N Rollercoaster. I think you should try it! :)

Yes yes I posed this back in September during my last trip but couldn't muster the strength to ride this ride. Basically im afraid of the backwards/dark part.

However I do like some Disney rollercoasters...HUGEEEE fan of Space Mountain & Thunder Mountain; but I will not touch Rock N Roller Coaster due to the corkscrew spiral nor the Tower or Terror due to I don't like falling.

Would I like this ride or would it be too much? :scared::scared:

Thanks!!

I'm not much of a rollercoaster guy AT ALL, but I go on all Disney ones cause I love the theming.

That being said, DW does NOT like Everest. She *hates* the part where it goes backwards. ( she describes it as a feeling of being punched in the stomach repeatedly... though I don't share that feeling :laughing: ). That being said, she has a lot of fun on Rockin Roller Coaster. So go figure...

I guess the real scary part is the backwards part... there's a good drop at the end, but I wouldn't categorize as the most extreme out there.

I feel similar to you. I rode RnR once, never again. Although I said that about Tower of Terror also - hate the drops - I've gone on again for my dh. Used to hate Space Mountain but I like it now & I love Big Mountain. So I tried Expedition Everest & hey, I kind of liked it, wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Actually went twice in a row-short line. Give it a try, it's really pretty good. To me it's similar to The Mummy at Universal but smoother I think.

Go on youtube and watch a few videos of the ride. There's actually one on there of EE with the lights on! That way, you get a good idea of what's really going on in the darkness.
(Type in the search "Expedition Everest lights on")

I never thought I could ride EE, until I tried it this year. I am prone to anxiety/panic attacks. So I was really worried about this ride. But I couldn't let my DD down and I just did it. After the first time we rode it, the wait time was less than 5 minutes, so we went & rode it 2 more times! I loved it!!

So if I can do it, with my anxiety, you can do it!:hug:

Go on youtube and watch a few videos of the ride. There's actually one on there of EE with the lights on! That way, you get a good idea of what's really going on in the darkness.
(Type in the search "Expedition Everest lights on")

Thats a great idea :idea: I am very termpted to see what the track looks like! At the same time, I wanna keep it a mystery, but intrigued to see what gives me a flip when we go backwards! haha :rotfl:

Like most things Disney, the theming is bigger then the ride.

As Roller Coasters go, it is not that big.

You can do it. :wizard:

I agree here.... the ride is not extreme, give it a shot. Better to live and try it once then always wonder... you may love it or you may hate it but at least you will know for certain. :thumbsup2

Every time I think of that ride I hear my 7 year old niece "AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN!"

Had a major headache most of the day after the backwards part of EE. Will never ride it again just because of that.
Too bad I guess as the rest of the ride was just fine!!

During the backwards/dark part I just closed my eyes. It helps you relax if you feel disoriented. I did the same thing on manta at seaworld so I didn't puke.

Another ride chicken here. I have done EE 2x, on both occasions I kept my eyes closed the whole time. You can do it, :thumbsup2, but only if you want to. :rotfl:

I don't care much for roller coasters either although I am learning more and more with a ride junkie for a son.

I have done RnR, BTMRR, Everest and Space Mountain....

I liked all but Space Mountain. The backwards part in the dark on Everest is not that bad...I find Space Mountain much worse and jerky...I am one who likes to see where I am going, that said I love RnR for the most part...and did Everest 2x and would have done it again without hesitation.

I rode ToT for the first and last time last trip to WDW. I HATE the drop in Splash Mountain. But I rode BTRR for the first time last trip and really loved it. In fact rode it many times on many days. So what do you think about EE? Is it pitch black dark or just dark (KWIM)? How does the drop compare to Splash's drop? My husband and two older daughters love it EE. But I don't trust them - they really want me to ride it.

Myself
DH
DD 12
DD 10
DD 7

I rode ToT for the first and last time last trip to WDW. I HATE the drop in Splash Mountain. But I rode BTRR for the first time last trip and really loved it. In fact rode it many times on many days. So what do you think about EE? Is it pitch black dark or just dark (KWIM)? How does the drop compare to Splash's drop? My husband and two older daughters love it EE. But I don't trust them - they really want me to ride it.

Myself
DH
DD 12
DD 10
DD 7

The dark part is pretty dark and your going at a decent speed. You might catch a glimpse of the track here or there...this was my biggest fear...the backwards in the dark...but it was over so fast...no huge drops in the dark so wasn't that bad. You stop and see the flash of the Yeti and then you come down the big drop that you see. It is no worse than Splash Mountain, a little faster maybe, but more of an angle. But the drop on Splash doesn't bother me that much anymore.

I think you should try it...my new motto is try it once, it won't kill you and you might love it...that is for myself...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter