• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expedition Everest Closure & Scary Walk down

I've only been stuck on a couple of rides (HM, Grizzly River Run), but never had to be evacuated.

...we were stuck at the end of POTC for 25 minutes or so....a woman had dropped her purse into the water (?)...that's WDW's explanation, anyway :confused3 ... we DID get 1 fastpass each as we got off the ride and exited....:woohoo:

My husband took one look at that picture and his hands started to sweat. He loves the ride, but he would sit in the train all day if he had to. There is no way he could walk down.

Thats a long way up from there. I noticed after I took this picture it looked like the hand-rail for the steps pops up only as needed- can you immagine if that did not work properly? :scared:

134008437-L.jpg

That picture.....OMG.....can I just say that being asked to go down that would be an instant panic attack. :eek: Maggie

Count me in as a "freezer." It's involuntary.....I'd just freeze and be unable to move. Not enough Valium in the world (even WDW) to get me down those steps. What do they do when people are just too petrified and/or physically unable? Chopper them out? :lmao: If the fire dept. ladder only goes so high.........

I don't know that I could even buttscoot down that one. I cussed DH once for hours (and I DO NOT do that) for taking me on a ski slope that he said was no big deal and was supposed to take 20 minutes to get down. It took me nearly 3 hours. I sometimes scooted, sometimes took the skis off and tried to walk in ski boots....you name it. Why? The EDGES of the mountain were too close.

That is why I cussed him. I had told him for years I was afraid of edges and apparently, he did not grasp my meaning. He had thought I merely meant heights. "NO," I screamed. "EDGES! I SAID EDGES!" I can handle heights, so long as I am not close to the edge. Edges make me feel as if I am going to be pulled/sucked over the edge. That's why I freeze and feel better if I sit. It's harder to be sucked over if my bum is attached to the ground. :rotfl2: Believe me, by the time we made it down that slope, he fully comprehended EDGES. They could offer me a free trip to WDW and I wouldn't be able to get down those stairs.

I do love "scary" rides, but they can hold the edges. I wonder what they would do if someone just sat there like a mule and said, "NO." Surely this has happened before? :confused3

I saw it get stuck back in April. They didn't have to evacuate anyone though. I think it was down about 20/25 minutes.

I know I had time to take this pic.....

IMG_0979.jpg

THEN, take this one 10 minutes later........

IMG_0998.jpg

They look like they're having so much fun up there. popcorn::

As a side note; I didn't realize until recently that the stone monument thing in the foreground had the same peaks and stuff as the mountain.

Ahh, I knew the story I heard of them pinning strips of bacon to you and letting the Yeti come and get you down wasn't true..... :upsidedow

:rotfl2: :lmao: Darn, I was so looking forward to hearing all those bloodcurdling screams for mercy.

Isn't the reason we go on thrill rides like EE and other roller coasters is because inherently, us crazy people like to face the possibilities of maiming and death, even if subconsciously, and laugh at it when we survive.

Sane people stays on the ground eating Dole Whip.

yes indeed...and anyone who goes on these things not realizing you can end up having to walk off from that position is an idiot....

we were taken off california screamin from a similar spot :scared1: .....
when we first stopped, i did a good deal of screaming in california :scared1: ....but the CMs are very cool, calm and collected and know their job.....i had 400 heart attacks along the way, but we made it down....and laugh our heads off about it now...

at WDW, we've only had to be taken off Tower of Terror, Test Track, and Imagination....those are the ones i remember in any case...

yes indeed...and anyone who goes on these things not realizing you can end up having to walk off from that position is an idiot....

we were taken off california screamin from a similar spot :scared1: .....
when we first stopped, i did a good deal of screaming in california :scared1: ....but the CMs are very cool, calm and collected and know their job.....i had 400 heart attacks along the way, but we made it down....and laugh our heads off about it now...

at WDW, we've only had to be taken off Tower of Terror, Test Track, and Imagination....those are the ones i remember in any case...

Excuse me? An Idiot?
I don't think there is ANY reason to begin name-calling.:sad2:

Excuse me? An Idiot?
I don't think there is ANY reason to begin name-calling.:sad2:

it's an expression...if you don't consider the possibility that you could be killed on any ride, you're being very short-sighted.....you can be killed on any ride...whether at disney or your local county fair...the chances are higher the riskier the ride...

and if you don't consider the possibility that the ride may stop at any place along the track and you'll have to walk down from there, you're being very shortsighted, or are very uninformed, or perhaps you simply don't understand that anything mechanical can and will break down...and anything computerized can and will break down....and anything that is both mechanical and computerized can and will break down.....every ride stops at some point or other....some more often than others.....and you may have to walk down from some very precarious spots....

which reminds me of something from the california screamin ride that we had to walk down from...
there were several young kids who were riding on their own...apparently their parents had near heart attacks on the ground as they waited for their kids who were stuck up where we were...
when i found out, i said, who in their right mind, lets young kids (who were tall enough) ride on their own.....i was up there for that very reason...my kids wanted to go...the only way they were going was with me in tow....

I don't think many of us plan to be killed on a Disney ride. I personally don't do fair or carnival rides because I don't trust the qucik set up of those rides. I have been stuck on rides before at Disney but not had to walk down like the picture of EE. I would freak for sure. No reason to call anyone and idiot :confused3 .

That's about how it looked when we were there on 9/10. I'm one of those crazy people who was disappointed to miss our only chance to ride. I've been stuck on coasters at amusement parks around home and willingly gone on them again and again.

I don't think many of us plan to be killed on a Disney ride. I personally don't do fair or carnival rides because I don't trust the qucik set up of those rides. I have been stuck on rides before at Disney but not had to walk down like the picture of EE. I would freak for sure. No reason to call anyone and idiot :confused3 .

people have been killed on disney rides (thunder mountain and the steamboat ferry to name just two) and it is always a possibility....things happen...

but much more often than that are the breakdowns....roller coasters break down ALL the time....and people have to be taken down from them ALL the time....
do not send your kids up alone on a roller coaster if you think that they are unable to handle being walked down off the ride...

california screamin, a coaster at DCA, breaks down ALL the time and people are often walked down.....

i assume EE is or will be the same...it's a coaster...that's what happens on coasters....ALL the time....
do not send your children on them alone if you think they will not be able to handle the walk down...

We've been to Disney many times and ride all the rides (LOVE the coasters) and we've never had to be taken off any ride. I'm sure this stuff does happen, but I've never seen it or had it happen, so I'm not sure "all the time" is accurate (at least I hope not!) Okay, now that I've said that, when I'm there in less than three weeks it's bound to happen that I'll get stuck in the scariest spot of the scariest ride and have to be taken off! Love the coaster, but heights are not my thing!!

( still trying to figure out the reason for the OP ) :confused3

Sounds like "no harm, no foul" to me

AWWWW MAN!! I would have loved to been on that ride that day, getting stuck and having to walk off is sooooo coooool!!!! :banana: It's the best way to get those unforgetable pics!!!! :rotfl: EE is the BEST coaster in WDW!!! :cool1: IMHO they need many many many more!!!!!:dance3:

I saw it get stuck back in April. They didn't have to evacuate anyone though. I think it was down about 20/25 minutes.

I know I had time to take this pic.....

IMG_0979.jpg

THEN, take this one 10 minutes later........

IMG_0998.jpg

They look like they're having so much fun up there. popcorn::

As a side note; I didn't realize until recently that the stone monument thing in the foreground had the same peaks and stuff as the mountain.

In the second pic the kid at the front of the ride looks like he's about to puke. That's probably what I would do, between the screaming and the crying.

I have yet to ever have to be evacuated from a ride and I've been 7 times. Now I feel sick because I feel that I'm due. I'm actually feeling jittery right now just thinking about it. I guess when I get my Xanax for the flight I will get a few extras just in case. I can't picture myself ever making it down those steps. The CMs would just have to give me a blaket an a pillow, because I would live on that incline rather than walk down those steps.

If anyone's interested, last year our Mission Space "Pod" was delayed by almost 15 minutes. That's 15 minutes in the sealed capsule without explanation.

And no, they cannot hear you scream and pound. :scared:

Ok, now THAT would kill me. Literally. I hold my breath in elevators. Getting stuck in that capsule would finish me off. They would have to peel me off the floor with the pooper scoopers they use on Main Street after the parade. I am not even kidding. I will never EVER go on that ride. EVER!

Just wanted to share that my 14 year old daughter got stuck on expedition everest as their "train/cart" was getting ready to enter the mountain - at a very high point. They sat there for a good 30 - 40 minutes before the Disney people decided to get them out of the cart and have them walk out. VERY SCARY !!!! I was literally crying waiting for them. Here is a picture of the cart sitting there as the people are getting ready to walk out. They all had to get out and stand next to the cart while everyone was let out. Some were standing on the side for 15 minutes.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff149/jonna30_2007/Disneyworld2146.jpg
:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Did you get any pics while they were standing outside the card waiting? Scarey for sure!

Is the ride really that prone to breaking down?

I'm seeing way too many reports of people having had this happen to them.

I'm having second thoughts about going on this next year since I'm not exactly thrilled of heights to begin with.

Is the ride really that prone to breaking down?

I'm seeing way too many reports of people having had this happen to them.

I'm having second thoughts about going on this next year since I'm not exactly thrilled of heights to begin with.

The odds are so slim, that if you really worried about it, then you'd also better start doing things with better odds (lotto tickets), and do less of things that have lousy odds for injury and death (driving).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter