Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

I am planning on doing this for a girl's weekend, but there's four of us... is there any benefit to signing up as two teams of two? Or should we just do individuals? I feel like I read somewhere on this thread or somewhere on WISH that it's better to sign up as an individual?

TIA!

Registered for the race and reserved AKL on Christmas Eve!!! Merry Christmas to me---and my two closest friends!!!

Can't wait to run this one again. Last year was my first race ever. At least this year, I won't be so scared about time, and can just enjoy myself!!!

Thanks for the information - especially the discounted ticket prices!

And....DD 17 and I are registered.....go Team Yeti!! (really original team name.....lol!) ;)

Hey forum! First post! Just joined today so I could post that my wife and I just registered for the Expedition Everest Challenge. This will be our first runDisney event and our first event of any kind! So excited to be doing this :)

I didn't last year but am hoping to this year. Saw quite a few last year. The couple lined up in the coral next to me were tweedle see and tweedle dum. Saw buzz Lightyear too. A group of guys in coral A were all princesses, lol.

This is my first RunDisney race too, though my girls (now 6 and 9) have done the kids Disney races during the January marathon weekend a couple of times. I have to admit I have been a little jealous of their shiny, shiny medals...

When I saw the description of this 5K, it was like a dream come true! Only 5k, with obstacles, AND a scavenger hunt, IN the Animal Kingdom, at night, and I managed to rope my FL buddy in?!? What could be better! Perhaps... a medal at the end? :hyper:

I'm going to be at the Atlantic Dance Hall on the Friday night before the race. Let me know if you'd like to hang out!

Worked on my running costume a little bit today. I was going to make an Anna inspired skirt and tank (from Frozen), but it looks like I wasn't the only one with that idea. I was on Sparkle Skirts facebook page to find a royal blue skirt to embellish ... and they announced their SnowPrincess design! So ... I'm going to run in a different design direction now.

I also got a Disney cardholder e-mail with a code for room discounts during the race. But I called and the rates through runDisney are still better for Pop and Caribbean Beach. Disney Visa's rate was better for Animal Kingdom ... but still too pricey per night for me.

How crazy is the parking at AK vs taking the bus from one of the hotels? Is it worth it to stay at one of the host hotels, or is it just as crazy as trying to park yourself? Right now my friend that was supposed to be going with me apparently bailed out, and there's no way I can afford a room on my own, so I may not have a choice, but I'm still trying to find someone to sucker into doing this run, especially since I want to do the family run that morning, too, but can't because I don't have anyone going with me.

But I called and the rates through runDisney are still better for Pop and Caribbean Beach.

What were the nightly rates they gave you for POP and CB if you don't mind sharing? I just tried to call and they were already closed for the day. I am hoping that we can get that rate for extra nights. We can get 7 day discounted tickets so I have my fingers crossed we could get that many nights at the discounted room rate. They would have to discount AKL by better than 50% for me to be able to afford to stay there. :rotfl2:

DD and I are going to do t-shirts or hats - Yeti themed. Aren't we sooooo original? :rolleyes1

Keri

I am in for the EE Challlenge 2014!!

I did it in 2008 and 2013. This is honestly my favorite runDisney race. The after-party in Animal Kingdom is so fun. Can't wait to be back for 2014!!

:suny:

How crazy is the parking at AK vs taking the bus from one of the hotels? Is it worth it to stay at one of the host hotels, or is it just as crazy as trying to park yourself? Right now my friend that was supposed to be going with me apparently bailed out, and there's no way I can afford a room on my own, so I may not have a choice, but I'm still trying to find someone to sucker into doing this run, especially since I want to do the family run that morning, too, but can't because I don't have anyone going with me.

Last year I drove myself and parked at AK. I found it to be incredibly easy and convenient. Just get there nice and early. The parking was absolutely no problem. People who tried to roll in late may have had a problem, but if you get there a few hours beforehand, you'll be all set. We got there early, parked, and relaxed for an hour or so before it got crazy. When it came time to leave, it was super easy to get to the car and drive back to our resort.

It's fun to get there early and soak up the atmosphere. I wouldn't worry about staying at a host resort or even on-site. Just do what you can to get to the race, make sure you arrive to AK early, park, relax, and have a great time!!

:sunny:

Keri - nightly rate for Pop was $122.88. Caribbean Beach was 170.13. Animal Kingdom was $421. That is through runDisney. Visa card holder discount was $130.40 per night. Caribbean Beach was $182.25. Animal Kingdom was $304. These are just for cheapest possible rooms, not preferred location or anything. I went ahead and booked Pop around the time I registered for the race. I'm keeping my eyes open for a better deal. Best I can tell, regular room rate for Pop, non discounted is $136 weekday/164 weekend through the end of May; Caribbean Beach regular rate is $211 weekday/$243 weekend; Animal Kingdom is $381 weekday/$428 weekend. I would really love to stay at Animal Kingdom ... but ouch. ;)

Thanks! Dang, that actually isn't much of a discount! If I have done my math right, if POP comes out with a 20% off room rate only discount next week, my dates go down to 115 per night. On hold right now with rundisney, his computer is showing all 3 host resorts as being "sold out" for the rundisney rates. Gah! Hopefully, it is a glitch.

Well, when I shortened my dates, he had a CB room pop up. Got it for the 3rd -10th for 1,140.00. We will have to book at POP using a room only discount for the dates we want to be there before the race. Hopefully, if a better discount comes out, I will be able to rearrange the reservation!

FYI - everyone should book their rooms as soon as possible if you are counting on the RunDisney rates as the rooms blocked with that rate are gone or nearly gone!

Anyone plan on wearing a costume?

Most definately! :cool1: But we are those crazy people you see dressed in costume for every 5k race out there, including the small local events. :rotfl2:

Keri - nightly rate for Pop was $122.88. Caribbean Beach was 170.13. Animal Kingdom was $421. That is through runDisney. Visa card holder discount was $130.40 per night. Caribbean Beach was $182.25. Animal Kingdom was $304. These are just for cheapest possible rooms, not preferred location or anything. I went ahead and booked Pop around the time I registered for the race. I'm keeping my eyes open for a better deal. Best I can tell, regular room rate for Pop, non discounted is $136 weekday/164 weekend through the end of May; Caribbean Beach regular rate is $211 weekday/$243 weekend; Animal Kingdom is $381 weekday/$428 weekend. I would really love to stay at Animal Kingdom ... but ouch. ;)

Thanks! Dang, that actually isn't much of a discount! If I have done my math right, if POP comes out with a 20% off room rate only discount next week, my dates go down to 115 per night. On hold right now with rundisney, his computer is showing all 3 host resorts as being "sold out" for the rundisney rates. Gah! Hopefully, it is a glitch.

Doesn't sound like runDisney provides much of a room discount, especially with the 20-30% discounts becoming available to the public 1/6.

And FYI, our runDisney 3 day parkhoppers were $208.36 after tax. That was a nice discount.

Doesn't sound like runDisney provides much of a room discount, especially with the 20-30% discounts becoming available to the public 1/6.

I asked when I made the reservation if the pricing was better on Monday if I could cancel/change the reservation! I just wanted to be sure I had SOME discount locked in just in case. The tickets are a great price! Haven't bought them yet, just in case a package promotion comes out next week. I think the room only discounts on 1/6 combined with the discounted tickets will end up being the best deal.

Even though I changed our May reservation around to do this race, that was before I signed up to do the 5k, 10k and Princess half in February! Now I'm questioning whether or not I want to do this this. Part of my concern is logistics; we're very experienced Disney visitors and DVC members and know how to get around, but we're staying at the BW, and I'm not at all willing to give up my reservation there.

But it's not a host hotel. How on earth would I get back to the BW after the race? Park transportation will be closed. Wait for a taxi with thousands of my new best friends? Sounds like a bit of a deal breaker to me. Nope, not planning on renting a car either.

Any ideas?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter