• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expectations too high?

blessed

Earning My Ears
Disneyworld is our absolute favorite place in the world, and I have come to count on the "magic" to be present more often that not, even over the phone. This time, when making my reservations for BC in November in the last few weeks, I have had less than magical experiences. The first time I called it was because the emailed reservation confirmation was incorrect with the number and names of the guests. The CM took down my information and told me a new reservation would be there shortly in my inbox. A week later, no email. I called back a couple of days ago to tell someone about it, and they confirmed the information and said a new email would be coming as well. So obviously, I don't have the email for the third time:confused3 , but that's not all I'm concerned about. Both conversations were with less than enthusiastic CM's who didn't seem as vested in me even "feeling the magic" if you know what I mean. I just remember in the past, even over the phone when doing reservations, how excited the CM's were,and how excited they made me about the upcoming trip. This is our first time in a deluxe resort, as well, so my expectations are high.
I also let the first CM know that we would be celebrating my daughter's 10th birthday down there and he quickly tried to transfer me to the cake line. I have no problem ordering a cake and decorations for my daughter, but with Disney, and especially with a deluxe resort, I'm wondering if I should even expect anything special for her when we check in?
Anyway, I'm just venting with people who I think would understand. Do you think it makes a difference when you say yes to the option on the phone"have you visited 5 times or more"? Maybe they just turn on the magic for new visitors:)

We've gone quite a few times when one of the kids has had a birthday. When you inform that at the front desk, the most we've gotten before has been the pin that you wear around the parks. The pin does get you some extra attention - some cast members have given one of the boys a free dessert at Casey's, they've been handed a balloon... But most of the time, you have to request something to be done, as far as I know.

Disneyworld is our absolute favorite place in the world, and I have come to count on the "magic" to be present more often that not, even over the phone. This time, when making my reservations for BC in November in the last few weeks, I have had less than magical experiences. The first time I called it was because the emailed reservation confirmation was incorrect with the number and names of the guests. The CM took down my information and told me a new reservation would be there shortly in my inbox. A week later, no email. I called back a couple of days ago to tell someone about it, and they confirmed the information and said a new email would be coming as well. So obviously, I don't have the email for the third time:confused3 , but that's not all I'm concerned about. Both conversations were with less than enthusiastic CM's who didn't seem as vested in me even "feeling the magic" if you know what I mean. I just remember in the past, even over the phone when doing reservations, how excited the CM's were,and how excited they made me about the upcoming trip. This is our first time in a deluxe resort, as well, so my expectations are high.
I also let the first CM know that we would be celebrating my daughter's 10th birthday down there and he quickly tried to transfer me to the cake line. I have no problem ordering a cake and decorations for my daughter, but with Disney, and especially with a deluxe resort, I'm wondering if I should even expect anything special for her when we check in?
Anyway, I'm just venting with people who I think would understand. Do you think it makes a difference when you say yes to the option on the phone"have you visited 5 times or more"? Maybe they just turn on the magic for new visitors:)

Yes & No.
I'll go with the no first. Why just because you're staying at a Deluxe resort do you think the resort should do any thing special fro your DD's birthday? If I'm staying at a moderate are my kids b-day not as special? Outside of a happy birthday I think that's all anyone is entitled to. I hate that Disney has started the freebie stuff (room upgrades, year of magical wishes, etc) because nowadays if people don't get some thing every one is miffed. Do we go to other places and expect freebies because it's our birthday, anniversary or any other event?
My good friend was a mousekeeper and no longer makes towel animals. Why? because she's tired of moms chasing her down each and every morning demanding one.

Now for the yes part.
You should definitely expect some common courtesy on the phone from any business where you are giving them your money. Not sure what you mean by enthusiatics but they should definitely give you their undivided attention, handle any problems promptly and make sure information is correct. Whenever I get a rude cm, I simply make a note of the name, date and time, politely hang up and call back. Rarely do I get 2 sourpusses back to back. I then email disney's customer service and let them know of the first person unmagical behaviour.

The best thing to do when you are not getting quality service is to get names and start talking to management in a timely manner, don't delay, and continue up the 'ladder' until things get resolved. I think Disney is having issues staffing all their positions and are lowering standards just to have someone perform specific functions.

As far as birthdays don't expect much. We have only stayed in deluxes. Disney could go broke providng free things to all the birthdays and false birthdays if they gave away stuff to every birthday on site. You should make your own plans for any special birthday celebration events and take anything from Disney (if it is even offered) as a bonus...but don't expect anything.

My daughters are 23. We have spent most of their birthdays at DW. Gone are the days when they would receive any special things. But, I can remember that many of the years (when they were 12, 13, etc.) we would find cakes, candles, balloons and little gifts in the room. Yes, they would go broke continuing to do that these days. When we stayed at the CT for their 13th b-day, we came home one night to find not one but two b-day cakes all set up on a table with white linen and silverware. I was shocked and surprised to no end! That was a LOT of years ago. The magic may not the same that way, but DW is still very magical to us even without those nice little touches. If you want a cake or other special things in the room, contact guest services and they will be very happy to order them for you. Have a great time at the BC. We are going to the BC in November too for SSW......Can't wait!:goodvibes

I wouldn't say the CM's were rude-just apathetic. I think the fact that I have asked for something to be sent to me and 3 times it has not has me a little tense. Therefore, I could be overly sensitive to what happened in the conversations generally.
I get what you're saying about Disney giving things to everyone with a birthday and the whole "entitlement" thing, but I was really talking about just getting a "Oh, isn't that nice" over the phone or a "Happy Birthday" when we check in due to the fact that I said in the reservation what her name was.
Ok, like I said, if fellow Dis'ers think I'm expecting too much, then I believe I better come down to earth. This is the first time we will be going to Orlando, staying onsite at Disney(due to hubby's conference), yet we are only able to afford one day at the parks themselves for MVMCP. I think I am just trying to pull the magic from anyplace I can seeing as though we won't be able to parkhop for the full vacation like we usually do.

I wouldn't say the CM's were rude-just apathetic. I think the fact that I have asked for something to be sent to me and 3 times it has not has me a little tense. Therefore, I could be overly sensitive to what happened in the conversations generally.
I get what you're saying about Disney giving things to everyone with a birthday and the whole "entitlement" thing, but I was really talking about just getting a "Oh, isn't that nice" over the phone or a "Happy Birthday" when we check in due to the fact that I said in the reservation what her name was.
Ok, like I said, if fellow Dis'ers think I'm expecting too much, then I believe I better come down to earth. This is the first time we will be going to Orlando, staying onsite at Disney(due to hubby's conference), yet we are only able to afford one day at the parks themselves for MVMCP. I think I am just trying to pull the magic from anyplace I can seeing as though we won't be able to parkhop for the full vacation like we usually do.

You are absolutely right on that account. apathetic is unacceptable also especially since they had not gotten it right the first time.

Don't worry about pulling the magic. I betting betwee the MVMCP party and your dd's birthday you guys will have a great time.

One suggestion: My son is not really into birthday cakes so last year we all went to Beaches & cream ice cream parlor for dessert. We got birthday sundaes that were really good. There can be a bit of a wait since Beaches & cream doesn't take reservation but it was a lot of fun and a great way to spend a non park day, if you have the time.

I was looking at those miniature castle cakes online, and they look adorable, but my daughter looovvvess ice cream. Saturday night when we get there would be a great time to do that. Do you know when it starts to get really crowded there? I haven't been to Beaches and Cream enough to know, but everytime I have, it was a crazy wait.

With special occasions, it's better to make your own magic. If Disney does anything, it'll be "icing on the cake" so to speak.

As far as the Cast Members on the phone, what they are trying to do is get your information and then let you go. I've read a lot of posts about not having an 800 number to call so if a Cast Member is keeping you on the phone with a lot of small talk, it's costing you money or cell phone minutes.

For me, it don't really care how I'm treated on the phone. That person is not going to be anywhere near me when I'm on vacation. That's when the magic will really start.

Not to be rude and maybe i just dont get it but what "makes you feel the magic" in reserving a room over the telephone?

I just never understand what people mean when they say that. I cant imagine any scanario where i would "feel the magic" in booking a hotel room or a ADR. I just hope for a pleasant and helpful person and that is usually what i get.

My advice is to order what you want and if you get any little extras, that is great. We went last year for DHs 50th birthday and I made sure he got a birthday button and I ordered the cake I wanted from Boardwalk Bakery. He got many Happy Birthdays from CMs and a great cake.

We did get a birthday song, dessert, and chef's hat at Teppan Edo. I did mention that it was his birthday on the ADR and at the podium. I would not have been upset if nothing was given to him. If it happens it happens is my philosophy.

As for staying in a deluxe, you have already said your expectations are high. All you can expect are larger rooms with nicer furnishings, better decor, more restaurant options, indoor hallways, more intense theming, better locations (in some instances), better transportation (in some instances), etc. Other than that the CMs will probably behave very similar to mod or value CMs. Don't build up your expectations only to have the deluxe experience fall short and be disappointed in your trip.

We'll be at AKL for my son's 16th birthday. I do not expect the resort to do anything for his birthday. I am going to get him a cake, and we will go out for a birthday dinner at WCC, but that's all I expect - a lovely resort and a nice meal. My son really doesn't care if he gets anything or not, he's just happy to be going back to WDW.

As far as feeling the magic over the phone, I agree with the OP. I like to feel that tingly feeling and have a nice conversation with the CM who does the booking. Short, abrupt, or rude CM's at the CRO puts a damper on the whole "I just booked our trip" happy :yay: kind-of-feeling. I want to be happy when I get off the phone, not disgruntled. Fortunately I have had some truly stellar CM's at CRO who really put the "magic" in my trip. :)

I was looking at those miniature castle cakes online, and they look adorable, but my daughter looovvvess ice cream. Saturday night when we get there would be a great time to do that. Do you know when it starts to get really crowded there? I haven't been to Beaches and Cream enough to know, but everytime I have, it was a crazy wait.

I would stay away from the normal dining hours, like between 5:30-7:00 pm if you can. We always try for dessert usually around 8:00 pm. Unfortunately, it's gotten very popular and doesn't take adr's.

CMs, and everyone else in Florida, have spent the past week dealing with the tropical storm that wouldn't go away. Some of those people are probably dealing with property damage to their homes, as well as some harried people and lots of changes at work. We were at the Poly last week and watched the pool staff filling sandbags and placing them by the zero entry to the pool, presumably to keep the sand out of the pool and the filter system. What sounds like apathy may very well be sheer exhaustion and worry.

I would chalk it up to "they're coping very well with incredibly rough circumstances" and try to be the one spreading the magic this time around.

You can note a birthday on your resort and dining reservations, but there is never any guarantee that something special will be done. That is up to the staff on duty.

The only way to ensure something special will be done is to arrange it and pay for it ahead of time.

CMs, and everyone else in Florida, have spent the past week dealing with the tropical storm that wouldn't go away. Some of those people are probably dealing with property damage to their homes, as well as some harried people and lots of changes at work. We were at the Poly last week and watched the pool staff filling sandbags and placing them by the zero entry to the pool, presumably to keep the sand out of the pool and the filter system. What sounds like apathy may very well be sheer exhaustion and worry.

I would chalk it up to "they're coping very well with incredibly rough circumstances" and try to be the one spreading the magic this time around.

Yes, this could very well be it, but I would have to say the last 3 years when making reservations over the phone there have been mistakes after mistakes made on our reservations which leads me to believe the CM's are just as frustrated over their system as I am. I have been fortunate that all the CM's I have spoken to have been extremely nice and trying to do their best, however, we have had to call over and over again for mistakes to be corrected...once it's verified it's been corrected we hang up for me to have to call back because it reverted back to the incorrect information. We still have yet to find one of our reservations that's floating out in space some where...at least when we call it's showing in their system for this November but the confirmations are stating for July 4th in a completely different resort.

Yes & No.
I'll go with the no first. Why just because you're staying at a Deluxe resort do you think the resort should do any thing special fro your DD's birthday? If I'm staying at a moderate are my kids b-day not as special?

I just wanted to say that as ridiculous as this sounds, that is actually true to some of them. We got engaged last year in disney and were staying in a value resort and my mother and future brother in law had called to see if they would do anything and the CM told them that all they would do is send a card but the deluxe resorts do more special things. We did however get a nice $20 wedding picture frame, which was unexpected and 2 cards signed by the characters. But the fact that they actually told my future BIL that if we were at a deluxe they might, but not at value baffled my mind. Im not saying we expected them to do anything, but our fam had called just to see if they did have anything.

Not to be rude and maybe i just dont get it but what "makes you feel the magic" in reserving a room over the telephone?

I just never understand what people mean when they say that. I cant imagine any scanario where i would "feel the magic" in booking a hotel room or a ADR. I just hope for a pleasant and helpful person and that is usually what i get.

Actually, every time I've ever booked, there was "magic' in the CM's voices, they were as excited as I was...it was great! We went to WDW last Mmay and when I returned I made the remark ib DIS that Disney CM's didn't seem as "magical as they once were, so I agree with the PP who said WDW has lowered their standards as to who they hire now (probably out of necessity). I was told I expected too much, blah blah blah...all I expected was the same treatment i'd always gotten, which was always over the top Disney ( and i don't mean presents, it was the great attitude).
So I guess those days are just gone, and if they are don't expect people to pay those ridiculous prices for much longer...because without the special magic frankly its just not worth it!

I just wanted to say that as ridiculous as this sounds, that is actually true to some of them. We got engaged last year in disney and were staying in a value resort and my mother and future brother in law had called to see if they would do anything and the CM told them that all they would do is send a card but the deluxe resorts do more special things. We did however get a nice $20 wedding picture frame, which was unexpected and 2 cards signed by the characters. But the fact that they actually told my future BIL that if we were at a deluxe they might, but not at value baffled my mind. Im not saying we expected them to do anything, but our fam had called just to see if they did have anything.

I'm sorry but this is not true in my experience. We have stayed at all levels of Disney Resorts, and the most "magical" was at a value. We had had several issues and one CM went WELLLLLL out of his way to make our trip special. Come to think of it we had another wonderful magical experience at Music a few years ago. Both completely unexpected and un asked for.

We did stay at a moderate a few years ago. My cousin was checking in the same time (her first trip). I called the front desk manager a week ahead of time and he helped arrange gifts to be delivered to their room. I gave him a budget to work with and he charged my CC. (I was grateful for his help).

We have had no "magic" at a Deluxe resort at all.
I think it is all in the CM you talk to.

In late 2004, I was having a heck of a time at work. We were caught up in a big merger, people were getting the axe right and left. You had to figure out who to brown nose, etc. etc. I would come home stressed and would tell Dh about all of the office politics, and it would scare him too. Anyway, Dh and I were both miserable. We didn't even feel like putting up our Christmas tree.

We spent the last 4 or 5 months of 2004 looking forward to our extra special, extra magical trip to Disney's Wilderness Lodge. I can't tell you how many times I went to the Disney website and looked at that gorgeous picture of the waterfalls going over the rocks in the Courtyard. We had paid extra for the Courtyard view because the trip HAD TO BE PERFECT.

Anyhoo, January rolls around and its time to go to Disney. Finally! Yes! So of course, we got a 1st floor room facing the DVC pool, and not a good view at that. The room was really worn, and extremely Handicapped Accessible (i.e., no tub.) The hurricanes had come in Fall of '04 and there was a tree down in front of our patio. Plus, we always seemed to find our boat or our bus pulling away in front of us. Needless to say, we both got Sinus infections before the trip was over. Oh and towel animals...of course not. Of course, we didn't complain about the room partly because I try not to complain about things, and I was definitely in full victim mode.

With all that...I did find those beautiful pine trees to be very soothing, and did come home more relaxed, and better able to deal with my life.

I now go to Disney with modest expectations. If I notice something special, that's gravy. There are many special things in the parks. It is so neat to see picket fences in Canada with Maple leaves carved into them. etc.

Long story short...if you expect Disney to be heaven, it won't be, it can't be.

My new Disney strategy is...Book it, make ADRs, and (almost) forget it. Dh now says...are you ready for Disney next week and THEN I get all excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter