Expect a Great Movie Ride Update Announcement Soon

From the Turner press release:

At Disney's Hollywood Studios, the "The Great Movie Ride" Attraction highlights some of the most famous film moments in silver screen history and is set to receive a TCM-curated refresh of the pre-show and the finale. TCM branding will be integrated into the attraction's marquee as well as banners, posters and display windows outside the attraction. In the queue line, families will enjoy new digital movie posters and will watch a new pre-ride video with TCM host Robert Osborne providing illuminating insights from the movies some of which guests will experience during the ride. The finale will feature an all-new montage of classic movie moments. After guests exit the attraction, they will have a photo opportunity with a classic movie theme. The TCM-curated refresh is set to launch by spring.

I am SO excited for this. As a former GMR cast member, I am so happy my attraction is finally getting some love from Disney. This has exploded all over my Facebook, and almost everyone I know who are former Movie Riders are excited for the change!

I am SO excited for this. As a former GMR cast member, I am so happy my attraction is finally getting some love from Disney. This has exploded all over my Facebook, and almost everyone I know who are former Movie Riders are excited for the change!

Since you have worked the ride, I have a couple questions that I haven't seen answered before online.

1) If you are one of the talking people in the ride (tour guide, gangster, cowboy) do you usually play the same part all day, switch through out the day or what?
2) What does the tour guide do after they are "kidnapped"? Since there is time between then and the temple scene, do they just stay backstage, help with another group or what?

Thanks

Another component to this deal is that Disney will start providing TCM with content from its vault, including old television programming. The first block is set to air on the night of 12/21 into the morning of 12/22.

I'm really excited for both components.

Oh man, I would love to see some old episodes of Wonderful World of Disney. We grew up waiting for Sunday night so we could watch it.

When the time comes for the internal updates a couple years down the line, I just hope making it more "relevant" doesn't mean replacing James Cagney and John Wayne with Vince Vaughn and Seth Rogen. Let's hope TCM keeps the concept of "classic" movies - one that left the final montage years ago. (I mean, seriously, "Broadcast News" and "Sister Act"?)

What I'm really looking forward to at the Studios is the announcement about the new location for the Hat, since it will apparently be in a part of the park that doesn't even exist yet.

Here's the schedule for the first "Treasures from the Disney Vault" to be presented on TCM on Sunday, December 21, 2014.

8pm: Santa's Workshop (1932)/On Ice (1935)/Chip an' Dale (1947)

8:30pm: The Disneyland Story (1954)/The Reluctant Dragon (1941)

11pm: Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955)

12:45am: The Vanishing Prairie (1954)

2am: Third Man on the Mountain (1959)

4am: Perilous Assignment (1959)

TCM plans to feature Treasures from the Disney Vault 4-5 times a year.

Here's the schedule for the first "Treasures from the Disney Vault" to be presented on TCM on Sunday, December 21, 2014. 8pm: Santa's Workshop (1932)/On Ice (1935)/Chip an' Dale (1947) 8:30PM: The Disneyland Story (1954)/The Reluctant Dragon (1941) 11pm: Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955) 12:45am: The Vanishing Prairie (1954) 2am: Third Man of the Mountain (1959) 4am: Perilous Assignment (1959) TCM plans to feature Treasures from the Disney Vault 4-5 times a year.

Why are they doing it in the middle of the night?
This is something they could do on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening and more people would watch it...

Since you have worked the ride, I have a couple questions that I haven't seen answered before online.

1) If you are one of the talking people in the ride (tour guide, gangster, cowboy) do you usually play the same part all day, switch through out the day or what?
2) What does the tour guide do after they are "kidnapped"? Since there is time between then and the temple scene, do they just stay backstage, help with another group or what?

Thanks

1. If you are the gangster/cowboy, you do that all day. If you are the tour guide, you get rotated between shows and land positions (greeter, loader, fp merge, etc).

2. stay backstage. its not long enough to do anything else other than get a drink of water, get the robe on, and get into place. :)

1. If you are the gangster/cowboy, you do that all day. If you are the tour guide, you get rotated between shows and land positions (greeter, loader, fp merge, etc).

2. stay backstage. its not long enough to do anything else other than get a drink of water, get the robe on, and get into place. :)

Thanks for the information, as an engineer and former theatre guy the backstage stuff always interests me.

90% of people will disagree with this, but personally I would like it to be more relevant for those of us who are in our 20's. The ride just seems incredibly dated and uninteresting to me. I get it's all classic, but it just seems too old, IMO.

As a former GMR'er, I love this! TCM is a great fit, and can provide Disney with lots of new movies!

This ride is about GREAT movies, not modern or popular ones (although they can be greats too). Great as in ground-breaking, transformed films or created new genres of film. Great as in selected for preservation movies. And the Great Movie Ride can introduce a whole new generation of people to these amazing works of cinema masterpieces. So what if you don't know the movie? GMR will give you the name and now you can watch this amazing movie on TCM.

(Please note: while I always hated going through Alien, it is a groundbreaking movie and deserves to be there.)

Yes! :worship: Where is the LIKE button?

Makes sense, seems like that would be the quickest and least expensive way to go.

And since the changes are supposed to be in "first quarter 2015".....yeah, sadly it won't be new "rooms" or such, but some new clips to watch pre/post would be a good start. Perhaps they're putting a toe in the pool to see if people like changes to this before investing in major money for this not-nearly-as-popular ride?

Now it's also making some sense as to why they put this in top tier FP. Also means I will be adding it to my FP list for my SWW trip. We've always gotten this the day of for a 4th FP, now it may be a bit popular for a while.

Yes, when you are a Tour guide, and you get kidnapped:

"Gangster Land": Run into the gangster "break/staging room", maybe say a quick hello and grab some water, the run like hell to the Anubis room, grab a robe and a hood (if there is one there) get in line (maybe, sometimes there is no one there) for your vehicle to come into view and when the person ahead of you tosses their robe and hood, you catch that and put it either on the floor (if you are lazy) or hang it on the pegs.

Cowboy (rarely run): same thing.

I don't really remember which area has the loft/stairs area.

But you really HAVE to be careful on the Anubis stairs, they are super narrow and get really slippery. That's why they put in the handrails!

The ride needs love - the reason why the Alien doesn't come out of the ceiling is because it broke. Many of the munchkin lip-synching is off. There are lots of little mantience things that need to be done. When I worked there, the Alien's finger fell off and a little girl caught it - she handed it back to a very confused and horrified CM!

And one more thing: The CMs have a tendency to prank each other - at least when I was there. One guy doing gangster not only unplugged my mike, but also unscrewed and took the whole thing apart. I was in Anubis, trying frantically to reassemble the damn thing while trying do my spiel and get the vehicle moving! I was SO mad and told him off!

Thanks for all of these little insights into the ride, BlueGrrl! This was the one ride I knew I'd want to work in when I grew up and would wonder about how the kidnapping to Indy portion worked, too. (One of the very few magic-breaking anecdotes I care to know about the World.)

I'm in my 20s and absolutely LOVE the GMR! Mom and I are thrilled to know it will be updated and not demolished like so much of HS seems to be slated for. Maybe it's because I like learning about history, but I see this ride as honoring those who came before to give us the "modern classics" we have today. Keep all the modern in other portions of the parks and give me some nostalgic, golden era classics!

Now to wonder... by "intro" and "finale" scenes, do they mean where we get to see those great movie trailers and the film montage on the screens? I hope they don't get taken away completely with the addition of the TCM host! Still, just happy it will be staying (and the Hat will be relocated.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter