Expandable campers, pros and cons

Linda Talbot

Mouseketeer
Just saw a nice expandable camper, you know the kind with the beds that drop down from each end. Sort of like a pop-up but with hard sides. This one also had a slide out. It was nice.
So now the question, does anybody have one of these kinds of campers and if so, what are the pros and cons of ownership.
I like the idea that the main part of the camper is living space, more work area for the kitchen, extra seating capacity, and your beds are always made and out of the way.
Any comments from owners of expandable campers.

We do not own one, but very good friends of ours do. They love it. The best thing about them is that they usually weigh less then the traditional travel trailer.
Your right about the work space, and the beds are out of the way. I'm sure someone here will have more first hand info for you..............good luck:wave2:

Hi,

We bought a Trailmanor Model 3023 last Columbus Day weekend (http://www.trailmanor.com) to replace our pop-up trailer and love it. We have put about 6,000 miles on it since then. Our last trip with it was to Fort Wilderness for 10 days. It has given us the stability and security of a hardsided trailer with the low profile of a pop-up.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Al

We own a 2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B. We love the camper. The best purchase we ever made. You are correct the extra space in the middle is great. The only drawback we have found over a traditional camper is if it rains the day you are leaving the campground. You really don't want to put canvus away wet. You must open the bedends when you get home to dry out. This is no different than a popup and is really no big deal. Beware though some of these campers are just as heavy as a traditional camper.

Firebug.

Originally posted by Linda Talbot
Just saw a nice expandable camper, you know the kind with the beds that drop down from each end. Sort of like a pop-up but with hard sides. This one also had a slide out.

What you describe is known as a "Hybrid", a cross between a pop up and a TT.

Almost all the manufacturers are getting into the act, so you should have plenty to choose from.

You may want to check out the Hybrid Explorer web site.

A few more comments:

I don't own one but seriously considered one before purchasing our traditional hard-side.

If you must store you trailer away from your home (those of us with deed restrictions - AARGH), the opening up once home to get the canvas dried out will be a problem as it will require multiple trips and security could be an issue.

Also, I checked the RV.net boards (they have a forum for hybrids) and many folks complain of leaks.

And, there can be a condensation/temperature problem since the tent canvas is not insulated to same degree as the hardside portion.

Other than that, I think they are a really great option. I would take my chances on the leak issue but the storage off-site was a definite no for me.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter