Excuse Letters for School

Heatherfeather-
I Totally agree with you. When I take the kids out in January all homework goes with us and since the parks close early it gives them plenty of time to work on homework after we get back from the parks.

Thanks thnHillbilly your thread to the excuse letter was great. I will be using that for our trip in Jan.

We took our children out of school last year in Jan and are planning on doing the same this year. I really don't think it will hurt them in their educational career if they miss one week of school. I feel that while Disney is a totally fun place they learned a lot there and really expanded themselves by being there. I can't wait to go back again.

graygables said:
About handbooks and school rules, etc...if they violate your constitutional parental right to the "care, custody and control" of your own child, they don't count anymore. The problem is that parents have slowly handed over their rights to the public schools and have NOT fought to keep them over the years so the schools/legislatures think they can get away with it (and will continue to do so as long as people continue to let them).

I have had encounters with the public school system over this very thing and when I push my point (and they refer it to their attorneys), I have won every single time. BUT, you have to be willing to make the stand and walk the talk.

Good luck to everyone, it's not an easy road, but it is the right one.

My, my we certainly are an extremist, aren't we? You are just the type of parent school administrators LOVE to see withdraw their children and "home school"!!! :bounce:

Personally, my children would not WANT to be taken out of school for a trip because they value their education and enjoy being there. We have just as much fun taking our vacations during school holidays. Imagine that!

:sunny:

I soke with my son's teacher today and she said to my son " You're going to leave me here.. Not fair. Then told me she'd make up a package for him. No remarks yet from daughter's teacher.

Personally, my children would not WANT to be taken out of school for a trip because they value their education and enjoy being there. We have just as much fun taking our vacations during school holidays. Imagine that!
That's great that your kids value their education Sunny (and I sincerely mean this)----mine do as well---but we still take them out often over the years due mostly to necessity.
The point is, some families can't take trips to WDW during the summer or school holidays but it doesn't mean we don't value the education. I think you may have missed this point along the way ? If you read back over the posts, there are several valid reasons parents take their kids out of school. In my case, in addition to my being an RN and unable to get summer vacations/holidays granted most years, we also traveled with my mil over the past 6-7 years. Her age and health did not allow her to handle the heat, humidity and crowds of the summer in FL either. The last couple of years vacationing with her she was undergoing chemo/radiation as well.

Vacationing in offseason was "heaven-sent" for her and we'll always treasure those times we took the kids out of school in order to allow us to vacation with her. Her life was cut short all too soon last summer and I thank God for those memories that we will always have. Will my kids remember that they missed school for a week or those memories with grandmom ? :goodvibes This is what is most important to our family. :flower3:

These posts have been really interesting! In our school (private Catholic) we send out a school calendar for the current school year during the previous year.
We just sent our parents the school calendar for 2006-2007. We encourage parents to try to plan around school breaks, but don't deny them the many memories that families make during family trips. Of course, when you have a private school, some families travel all the time, Every year! That gets a bit extreme!
In my case, we have been planning our family trip since last November and when
I talked to my "boss", the principal, she said that she was so excited that we could go! Of course we did plan around some school days off, so both my DD (soph) and I will miss 3 days of school. We have never done anything like this before, we are not among those that can afford trips like this very often! Remember I work in a Catholic School! :goodvibes
Anyway, I wouldn't feel too guilty about taking your children out during school time, as long as you are not among the extreme! Enjoy the many memories!
I know our family trip will consist of 15 members and we are celebrating our parents 50th anniversary and I wouldn't miss that for the world! School work can and will be made up, but memories last a lifetime! :lovestruc

We live in Ontario and we have several times taken the kids out of school just to go to Michigan, get a hotel with a pool and visit our friends. My husband works 12 hr shifts and a lot of overtime so when he has a Fri, Sat, Sun. off we have taken them out of school, told the teachers what we are doing and they say have a great time. I don't feel guilty because I belive family time is very important and sometimes you have to get away to reconnect with them.

Enjoy your time with your family when ever you can get it. We never know what the future holds for us.

I don't see the problem..they are your children..you simply tell the school office and the teachers that you are going on a family vacation. If it's harder than that...it shouldn't be. I have 2 kids in school. One teacher even said she gives her students a disposable camera and tells them to take pics and give an oral presentation when they return (if they would like to). I have never heard of a teacher being upset with a kid going on a family vacation...if they feel that way...they have some misguided child-rearing issues!!! Ha!

Don't stress over it! There is no need...ENJOY YOURSELF! :earsgirl:

MiaSRN62 said:
That's great that your kids value their education Sunny (and I sincerely mean this)----mine do as well---but we still take them out often over the years due mostly to necessity.

I totally understand your situation and I realize that not everyone can take their vacations during school holidays. I used the word "personally" because I can only speak for my children (who are both in HS). They would FREAK if I tried to take them out of school for a vacation because they have been told their whole lives that attendance was very important. Both of them have had perfect attendance just about every year--and that is something I feel is quite an accomplishment---not to mention they are both straight A students!! :Pinkbounc ~sorry for the brag moment~ :) My only beef is with people who state that they take their kids out of school because it is "off season" or "cheaper". I am a huge supporter of our school system and I don't feel like the attendance rules that they set forth are taking away my parental rights!! *I* feel that these rules are there to HELP students, not harm. Yes, I realize that that is just my opinion. :rotfl2:

Our school (a private Catholic school) just reminds us NOT to plan vacations during school days. They really don't get into the whole excused/unexcused bit. On the first day of school I sent a letter in to my daughters teacher explaining that she is a competitive figure skater, and as such occasionally has to travel for competitions. I pointed out that, being the dutiful parent that I am ( :rotfl: ) I try to keep that to a minimum. Last year she only missed 3 1/2 days... 3 for a competition in a city 8 hours away, and 1/2 for our spring break trip to Disney. The teacher seemed appeased by that, and suggested that we bring as much of the school work with us as possible. Last year the teacher wouldn't allow it, and my daughter had a hectic schedule to catch up.

In a month we're travelling to Tampa for her big competition... have to leave on Wednesday, but fortunately they don't have school on Friday, so she should only miss 1 day of school. HOWEVER... I'm in Florida, it's Food and Wine Fest time, it's MNSSHP time... am I NOT going to slip a trip in to WDW?

:rolleyes1

As a result, she's going to miss Monday and Tuesday as well. Them's the breaks!

I am really surprised that some school systems are putting you all through this for a vacation. Although my school system doesn't relish family vacations, they don't make a big deal out of it. Excused or unexcused, I don't care what they call it, they are MY children and this is MY family vacation. I have two good students, who are always in attendance except for illnesss. They will miss 3 days in Oct so we can go and have the best time. I choose to go in Oct because that's when I choose to go. I'm the one that works hard all year to pay for it. I wouldn't give them a reason. If it's a public school they should not be able to deny your child the education and can make up the work. Go with a clear conscious and have a great time!!!

I used the word "personally" because I can only speak for my children (who are both in HS). They would FREAK if I tried to take them out of school for a vacation because they have been told their whole lives that attendance was very important. Both of them have had perfect attendance just about every year--and that is something I feel is quite an accomplishment---not to mention they are both straight A students!! ~sorry for the brag moment~
This is truly a brag moment for you Sunny. That is terrific about your kids and the perfect attendance.
I guess some of us put things in perspective differently though, like if it weren't for vacationing in offseason we really wouldn't have those family quality time moments and memories to treasure. So I'm thankful my kids (personally) don't feel that attending school is an "end all". I'm glad that they appreciate the reasons we do take them out and enjoy this time spent together. They still see school as being very important. My oldest ds just got accepted by all three of his college choices (based on good school and SAT grades) and is now a college freshman. My middle child is in the Honor Society in HS and my youngest, though not straight A's, does very well. So, there is a way for kids to get "A"s and do great in school and still take off the time for family vacations. I'm glad my kids can balance all this as well as they do.
So this is just a different perspective really----that kids don't have to attend every single day in order to do well if you see what I mean ? But if perfect attendance is as important to your kids as you say, then I admire that they stick to their guns. It is a good goal they've set and met for themselves. I just don't think this is a personal goal of every kid or every family. There are just too many parameters and variances for each family---even those that might say they want to save money. For some of these families (here on the DIS or not represented), saving money might be the ONLY way they would be able to even take a family vacation. I, personally, don't feel it my place to judge all the different reasons why some go in offseason---even when it comes to saving money. This might be the only way these families can get away together. But I'm sure many have their own personal thoughts and opinions on this matter. My reasoning is that all families are different and many different things work for each of us.
So to lighten the mood......a Mickey icecream bar for us all & let's all be happy that we can afford to take vacations to WDW whatever the season ! :mickeybar

MiaSRN62 said:
This is truly a brag moment for you Sunny. That is terrific about your kids and the perfect attendance.
I guess some of us put things in perspective differently though, like if it weren't for vacationing in offseason we really wouldn't have those family quality time moments and memories to treasure. So I'm thankful my kids (personally) don't feel that attending school is an "end all". I'm glad that they appreciate the reasons we do take them out and enjoy this time spent together. They still see school as being very important. My oldest ds just got accepted by all three of his college choices (based on good school and SAT grades) and is now a college freshman. My middle child is in the Honor Society in HS and my youngest, though not straight A's, does very well. So, there is a way for kids to get "A"s and do great in school and still take off the time for family vacations. I'm glad my kids can balance all this as well as they do.
So this is just a different perspective really----that kids don't have to attend every single day in order to do well if you see what I mean ? But if perfect attendance is as important to your kids as you say, then I admire that they stick to their guns. It is a good goal they've set and met for themselves. I just don't think this is a personal goal of every kid or every family. There are just too many parameters and variances for each family---even those that might say they want to save money. For some of these families (here on the DIS or not represented), saving money might be the ONLY way they would be able to even take a family vacation. I, personally, don't feel it my place to judge all the different reasons why some go in offseason---even when it comes to saving money. This might be the only way these families can get away together. But I'm sure many have their own personal thoughts and opinions on this matter. My reasoning is that all families are different and many different things work for each of us.
So to lighten the mood......a Mickey icecream bar for us all & let's all be happy that we can afford to take vacations to WDW whatever the season ! :mickeybar

MY GOSH!!!!! This is why I don't post much on these boards. People get so defensive if others do not see things their way. It's a never ending battle! Show me where I stated that children can't keep a straight "A" average AND take a vacation during the school year--never said it!! :confused3

Arghhhhhhhhhh.........nevermind. Back to lurking again. Thanks so much. :rolleyes:

Sunny37 said:
My, my we certainly are an extremist, aren't we? You are just the type of parent school administrators LOVE to see withdraw their children and "home school"!!! :bounce:

:sunny:
I prefer to think of myelf as a PARENT rather than an "extemist". I'm sure the school administrators for my DDs schools have had uncomfortable moments with me, but they've also learned what they can and cannot get away with. It's too bad more parents aren't holding them accountable.

I was delighted to be taken out of school as a child for vacations (and I 'valued' my education, as well). Because my parents weren't hung up on "perfect attendance", I was able to spend a month in Italy, a month in Great Britain, a month touring the North Sea countries, a month in Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece, several weeks around western Europe, and a few weeks in Jordan and Israel. All told, in 7 years, 13 months of that were spent travelling, frequently *during* school b/c that was the only time my dad could take 30 days leave (his subordinates who wanted to visit the States tried to do it in the summer to correlate with US public schools, so they got summers first) I still did well in school, I still learned to "play the school game" (I did become an English teacher, after all).

There was not a single thing going on in that building that I missed out on by going on vacations with my family. There were PLENTY of things I would have missed by sitting in a classroom. Going to "East Germany" (btw, my parents have pieces of the wall from the first night it was put up and the last night when it fell), driving across Yugoslavia and throwing candy out the windows to children, riding in a gondola in Venice and going to our tour guide's daughter's wedding reception (*fresh* calamari), getting a private tour of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul b/c it was closed to the public, but our guide was friends with the curator, buying flokati rugs in Greece at some little dive off the main drag, bartering with children in Israel who are selling some little thing they've made "2 for a dolla", seeing Great Britain during the year of our bicentennial (our "revolution", their "rebellion") and talking with school children about what THEY learn about it (it's not what kids sitting in American school chairs are learning!) So much about life and the world that would have been missed while I stood up to receive my perfect attendance certificate. :(

If that works for you, by all means, enjoy your school break vacations, but don't name call or bash those who choose to go during the school year because it costs less, is less crowded, or may be the only opportunity they have.

graygables said:
I prefer to think of myelf as a PARENT rather than an "extemist". I'm sure the school administrators for my DDs schools have had uncomfortable moments with me, but they've also learned what they can and cannot get away with. It's too bad more parents aren't holding them accountable.

I was delighted to be taken out of school as a child for vacations (and I 'valued' my education, as well). Because my parents weren't hung up on "perfect attendance", I was able to spend a month in Italy, a month in Great Britain, a month touring the North Sea countries, a month in Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece, several weeks around western Europe, and a few weeks in Jordan and Israel. All told, in 7 years, 13 months of that were spent travelling, frequently *during* school b/c that was the only time my dad could take 30 days leave (his subordinates who wanted to visit the States tried to do it in the summer to correlate with US public schools, so they got summers first) I still did well in school, I still learned to "play the school game" (I did become an English teacher, after all).

There was not a single thing going on in that building that I missed out on by going on vacations with my family. There were PLENTY of things I would have missed by sitting in a classroom. Going to "East Germany" (btw, my parents have pieces of the wall from the first night it was put up and the last night when it fell), driving across Yugoslavia and throwing candy out the windows to children, riding in a gondola in Venice and going to our tour guide's daughter's wedding reception (*fresh* calamari), getting a private tour of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul b/c it was closed to the public, but our guide was friends with the curator, buying flokati rugs in Greece at some little dive off the main drag, bartering with children in Israel who are selling some little thing they've made "2 for a dolla", seeing Great Britain during the year of our bicentennial (our "revolution", their "rebellion") and talking with school children about what THEY learn about it (it's not what kids sitting in American school chairs are learning!) So much about life and the world that would have been missed while I stood up to receive my perfect attendance certificate. :(

If that works for you, by all means, enjoy your school break vacations, but don't name call or bash those who choose to go during the school year because it costs less, is less crowded, or may be the only opportunity they have.

Great for you, have you taken your children to all of these wonderful places? I simply don't understand the "me vs them" attitude toward school officials. You must have had some tough battles to fight with your school system. I bet they LOVE your attitude--"they've also learned what they can and cannot get away with"--schools are not out to harm students, just educate--plain and simple.

Take care! :)

I have not had the privilege of taking my children to the places of my childhood b/c we are clearly in a different place/time/situation. I have carried my understanding of the world and passed it on to them.

If anyone thinks the public school is innocently there to educate children, they really need to look/think again. I was a public school teacher. I deal with public schools frequently.

Here is a quote from 1972 (Dr. Chester Pierce): "Every child in America entering school at the age of five is insane because he comes to school with certain allegiances toward our founding fathers, toward his parents, toward a belief in a supernatural being.... It's up to you, teachers, to make all of these sick children well by creating the international children of the future."

Here it is again (this was his written word): "Every child in America who enters school at the age of five is mentally ill, because he comes to school with an allegiance toward our elected officials, toward our founding fathers, toward our institutions, toward the preservation of this form of government that we have. Patriotism, nationalism, and sovereignty, all that proves that
children are sick because a truly well individual is one who has rejected all of those things, and is truly the international child of the future."

The public school is less about true education and more about social engineering and parents are letting it happen (boiling the frog, so to speak). No one wants to be labeled an "extremist" or a rabble rouser. Everyone wants Mike and Sue to make the football team/cheer squad/honor choir and knows that if they are labeled it won't happen. More social engineering...you will quietly play by our rules, or you don't get the goodies.

If you choose to play by their rules, again, that's fine, I'm glad you are content with that, but don't jump all over others who are choosing to make a stand. My dad fought for and served this nation to preserve everyone's rights, you BET I'm going to do my part to honor his service.

MY GOSH!!!!! This is why I don't post much on these boards. People get so defensive if others do not see things their way. It's a never ending battle! Show me where I stated that children can't keep a straight "A" average AND take a vacation during the school year--never said it!!
So sorry you took it this way Sunny....that wasn't my intent at all. I interjected "my personal" and "another perspective" in my post to show this is just another way of seeing it & that it was my "personal" way of seeing things. I even mentioned that it was admirable that your children have perfect attendance.
That's all it was meant to be/show......that everyone is different and different things work for different folks. Sorry that you seem upset by my post :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter