excursions on st. john/st. thomas

mario3

Earning My Ears
we sail feb.8 (yay!). have an 8 month old & 7 year old. is it safe to catch a taxi at port and go to the beach? we were told to check out st. john. we want to take the baby swimming too. thanks!!

Going to St. John requires more than a taxi ride. You need to:

1. take a taxi to the Red Hook Ferry
2. take the ferry to Cruz Bay on St. John
3. take a taxi from Cruz Bay to one of the many beaches
4. do the reverse to get back to the ship, but give yourself more than an hour to get back in the afternoon since traffic on St. Thomas can be really bad.

It's about an hour of travel time and about $50 roundtrip per person to do it.

Magen's Bay is on St. Thomas. There is an excursion through DCL or you can go on your own via taxi. There are restrooms and a place to get food & drinks.

I would recommend Megan's Bay as well. Easy to get a taxi and about 20 minute ride to the beach. The day we were there the water was amazing. Crystal clear and so smooth. Perfect for a family with young children. There is even a lifeguard.

Be prepared that the taxis are open air taxi. No seat belt, not car seat. You will need to hold onto your kids.

It was our favorite beach... Ever.

I would recommend Megan's Bay as well. Easy to get a taxi and about 20 minute ride to the beach. The day we were there the water was amazing. Crystal clear and so smooth. Perfect for a family with young children. There is even a lifeguard.

Be prepared that the taxis are open air taxi. No seat belt, not car seat. You will need to hold onto your kids.

It was our favorite beach... Ever.

You can find a taxi with seatbelts that will accommodate car seats. They are typically ford F350 cutaways with the open air benches in the back. We just asked them to find one with a crew cab (second row seats), they found one easily, and we installed our car seat and booster there. I crammed in between and we were good to go.

I was going to take my 2 kiddos (23 months and 4 years old) to St. John as well. We're well-versed in taxis/ferries since we used to live in NYC. I'd hate to miss what I heard was one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Is the trip over really that much of a hassle? Is Magen's Bay really that much more convenient or worth it?

We did Trunk Bay on our own in December 2013. It was very easy, taxi and ferry prices are set, so do your research ahead of time. We loved St John, would go back there again in a second! We got off the ship as soon as we could and made a point to catch the 1 PM ferry back to St Thomas so we'd be back in time. We snorkeled and then got a taxi back to the ferry terminal and ate lunch at a restaurant right next to it.

There are taxis waiting at all locations to take you where you want to go, the ferry runs once an hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter