• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Excursions in Freeport

Grady

Earning My Ears
We are going on the Wonder March 10th. Our first cruise ever!! I was trying to decide on excursions in Freeport. We have two girls 6 and 8. Are any of the excursions a great time, or would we be better to stay on the ship? In Nassua we are just going to walk around town for a short while and maybe take the kids to the straw market.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait until the 10th!!

Allison

Don't know how much help this will be, but we did our excursion in Nassau and relaxed in Freeport. In Nassau, we booked a room at the Comfort Suites and spent the day at Atlantis. It was such a beautiful place, and my boys (10 & 12) had the best time in the pools and on the slides.

In Freeport, we just got off the ship for about an hour or so. There is a little straw market set up right across the road from the cruise ship. We walked over there and did a little shopping. It was a small but fairly well kept area, and the only people shopping there were people off the ship. The vendors were very pleasant to talk to and we had a good time. We spent most of the day on the ship and used this day to relax and rest up for Castaway Cay!

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time! Enjoy your cruise!

Your best excursion is the ship, stay on and enjoy all it has to offer. You kids will have a great time with not so many kids around

Just something to keep in mind if you do decide to stay on board on the Freeport day....

I decided to stay on board in Freeport mainly because I wanted to spend one day on board to have the ship to ourselves. Well I think everyone else had the same idea on the Freeport day because it was crowded. The goofy pool was crowded, the decks were crowded but it was still nice and relaxing, just not as empty as I thought....

...but this was back in 2000, and i don't know if it is even still available. we've not snorkeled anywhere except on castaway cay and this was an experience that i just loved. the reef is dying, but it was still quite colorful down there...i really enjoyed looking at all the different fish and plant life.

Originally posted by skiracer

Is the straw market in Nassau open again?

From what I understand, the Straw Market has not been rebuilt, but there are a number of vendors selling wares under tents. But the wares being sold are more of the touristy souvenir variety and less of the handicraft variety. It will take a while for the artisans to build up an inventory of handicrafts.

We'll be on the same cruise on the 10th. :):) We just booked the Lucayan Resort excursion, figuring it would be a good chance to get off the ship, hit the beaches, pools, etc. Our DS (18 months) loves the beach and the water, so he should enjoy it.

We're planning on staying on the ship in Nassau -- we've been there, done it, don't care to go back.

Thanks for all your great advise. I looked into going to the Atlantis, but the Comfort Suites seems to be sold out. Maybe we will try the Lucayan Beach excursion in Freeport. I didn't think about prebooking it, hopefully it won't be too late. The kids are so excited I am sure they will be happy with anything.

These boards have been so much help.

Thanks

Allison

Allison -- I booked the Lucayan only like 2 days ago, so there should still be openings now. :)

Highly underrated port.

This was one of our high points on the cruise. My sons and I did the dolphin encounter in Freeport. Even if your not doing this excusion you should definitely take a cab over to Port Lucaya. It is beautiful like a picture postcard. All the homes are different colors. Also there is a nice shopping area and a large hotel right there with what looked like a beautiful beach. I think most people don't like the port area and then don't venture out, don't make this mistake!!!

I have to say ditto, I had the same experience as Reggie. To me this would be a cool place to fly to and spend along weekend even, at Our Lacaya. It is beautiful!

Are there any buses in Freeport. How about transportation for child in non collaspsible wheel chair to Lucayan Beach

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter