Excursion Suggestions for Bahamas

DaisyNY

DIS Veteran
We are traveling on the Dream in March and are looking to book excursions...we are traveling with our grown children 27, 25 and 18...What excursions in the Bahamas would you suggest?

You probably should post exactly what ports in the Bahamas for better suggestions. The length of the cruise may play into it too.

We are traveling on the Dream in March and are looking to book excursions...we are traveling with our grown children 27, 25 and 18...What excursions in the Bahamas would you suggest?

I'm guessing since your sailing on the Dream then you want suggestions for Castaway Cay and Nassau. We have been to CC three times and the only "excursion" we have booked are the bicycles. Honestly, we find enough to do on the island without paying for extras. We did love the bikes though and are considering parasailing in the future. We bring our own snorkeling equipment so that makes for a free "excursion". In Nassau we have visited the Straw Market and last time we had plans to get a day pass at the Sheraton but the weather did not cooperate. I have a room booked at the Comfort Suites for our cruise in April so that we will have full access to Atlantis without paying DCL prices for the excursion. A lot of people stay on the ship in Nassau but we like to at least get off and wonder around a bit.

We (31,31, 37) booked the Sea Lion encounter at Blue Lagoon, with our older parents observing on the deck (they bought the beach package and came to the encounter with us). DCL has the exclusive on this, despite all my efforts to book independently elsewhere. It was the most wonderful day. Also, the dolphin push swim looks amazing too. (Encounter is a hug, push is the full swim fyi) Its one of the best dolphin swims I've seen too. We loved the island so much, we picked Nassau to go back to in the Spring. Their conch fritters were made to order, fresh and amazing and plenty to eat (not on the beach lunch package but only about $7) and there were hammocks everywhere. We loved our Dream cruise and BL was the icing on the cake.

Yes...our stops are at Castaway Cay and Nassau...Is it easy to get to the Comfort Inn from the boat if we book a room?

Yes...our stops are at Castaway Cay and Nassau...Is it easy to get to the Comfort Inn from the boat if we book a room?

It's a short taxi ride and there are plenty of taxis when you exit the ship. :)

I second the Blue Lagoon suggestion. We did the beach day and loved the safety of the private island. It was very clean and relaxing.

If we do the Blue Lagoon excursion will we have time to visit the straw market? We have never been to Nassau and would love to have time to see it...is it near the dock???

My husband and I did excursions in both Nassau and Castaway Cay. Now I was dissapointed with Nassau I wish we'd just of stayed on the ship and enjoyed the ammenities there. We did enjoy our excursion, we did a harbour tour where they showed you where all the celebrities lived on Paradise Island it was nice. We then explored the straw market and took a cab over to Atlantis. Atlantis wasn't that great to me but that is just my opinion. We were there one of the nights that the ship is in Nassau til 2am. I think I'd op to stay on the ship next time for Nassau and ride the Aqua Duck, maybe do a spa treatment etc.

For Castaway Cay we did the glass bottom boat and the stingray adventure. I still talk about swimming with the Stingrays it was so amazing! Id do it everyday it was so much fun. The Glass Bottom Boat was nice too I'd even do it again now that I have a son (I had my son after the cruise actually he was my cruise souvenir LOL).

Id definetley spend more time on Castaway Cay and maybe just wander around Nassau yourself see if you like it and go from there. Oh on Nassau lots of people will approach you selling stuff such as tours, hairwraps etc.

Yes you should have time to visit Blue Lagoon Island and the Straw Market.

We were on the Dream in May of 2012 and our family of 4 did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter. We did the first one of the day so we could get over as early as possible. It was a beautiful boat ride over to the island. We did our Dolphin Encounter pretty soon after we got there. As per suggestions from this board we went ahead and ordered our pictures right away so they would be ready when we decided to go back over to Nassau. We then were able to enjoy the beach, walk over to see the sea lions and have a bite to eat (I think we paid extra for that). We checked into what times the boat would return and went and picked up our pictures right before departing.

Upon return to Nassau, my husband and younger daughter returned to the boat and my older daughter and I went and strolled through the straw market as well as some of the local shops.

Through this all, we never felt rushed! We had a great day and would probably do it again!

Thanks for the many suggestions...I'm thinking Blue Lagoon might be the right fit for us...and getting to the straw market as well is a plus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter