• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Excursion: Atlantis Pools and Swim Diapers?

abcmouse

Earning My Ears
Hey guys,

trying to figure out if it is worth it to book a room at the comfort suites for our day in Nassau. The ONLY reason we'd do it is so our little guy (age 1) can use the pools. :fish: Obviously, if the kids pools at Atlantis are like the cruise ship pools and dont allow non-potty-trained kids in, then there's not much point.

Has anyone been to atlantis? Are the kids pools for potty-trained only? :confused3

Thanks so much!

IDK the answer to this one but you should be able to find the answer if you search the trip reports forum for "atlantis".

I don't know anything about diapers, but I would think twice about taking a 1yo to Atlantis.

We just got back and did the Comfort Suites room. Atlantis is huge, with several pools and some great slides in the Mayan temple, but your 1yo won't be able to get on those.

I and my kids went on the slides only a few times because of the long lines. Our average wait to go down a slide was probably 30 minutes (I've heard of hour-long waits depending on the time of year), which isn't bad for Test Track but stinks when you consider the costs and the fact that you have to budget time to get back to the boat (all aboard was 7pm, but we had late dinner seating and wanted to see the Golden Mickeys show at 6:15. Factor in travel time, showers, etc. and time becomes precious).

The room at the CS was about $200, four little bottles of Gatorade at Atlantis were $18, and we looked at the menu prices at Atlantis and decided to wait to eat back on the Wonder when we saw $15 sandwiches. A cab was $4/person each way (ended up being $40 for us). The CS lobby was packed with people and it took almost an hour to check in, walk to Atlantis, get towels, and find a spot. There's also a bunch of construction going on at and around Atlantis (time-shares, which someone will stop you about somewhere in Atlantis if you have our luck).

Was it worth it for us? Definitely not. I did this based on recommendations and experiences I read on this board, so obviously it has worked for others. It was not right for us on a cost/benefit analysis. Your mileage may be better than mine, but knowing what I know now, I would most definitely not take a 1yo to Atlantis. IMHO you'd be better off staying on board, going to the Pirate Museum near the wharf, or maybe the Discovery Channel thing at Atlantis (I have no information on that).

Sorry for the dissertation, but I haven't done a trip report and kinda vented in this post.

I don't know what the health department rules are around the world, but I don't think Swim diapers are allowed in any public pool for health reasons. Private pools would be a whole other story of course.

Any health experts out there?

Swim diapers are allowed in most hotel and public pools in the United States. We travel quite often and I always ask about swim diapers and have yet to be turned away at a hotel. They are not allowed on cruise ships because the water is not chlorinated.

We have been to Atlantis, and swim diapers are allowed in the pools.

Although the big slides are not appropriate for small kids, there is a very nice small pool with little slides and fountains -- my kids spent about 7 hours there, and begged not to leave when we finally went back to our room. I think our kids were 3.5 and 10 months old at the time, and both had an absolute blast at Atlantis.

Cruise ships are the only place I've ever been where swim diapers are not allowed, by the way. All of the Disney hotels, as well as other hotels we have stayed, allow swim diapers.

Thanks SO much everyone- I really appreciate it. Good to know about the hassles associated with Atlantis as well as that they have a good kiddie pool area. It may still be worth it for us, depending on the weather, if for no other reason than to give our little guy some more time in the water. We aren't going for a while though, so we'll think about it...

:sunny: THANKS!!! :sunny:

vpalmer said:
Swim diapers are allowed in most hotel and public pools in the United States. We travel quite often and I always ask about swim diapers and have yet to be turned away at a hotel. They are not allowed on cruise ships because the water is not chlorinated.

Must just be a cruise ship thing then. I went to one of the Navigators sesson son board, and they said the pools are chlorinated to the same standards as any public pool.

tvguy said:
Must just be a cruise ship thing then. I went to one of the Navigators sesson son board, and they said the pools are chlorinated to the same standards as any public pool.

It's actually a government health reg that was instituted because of the Norwalk problems they were having. (Even though they were probably not related.)

Disney built the Mickey pool with the full intention of letting all kids in them. They had to change when the rule came out.

Most public pools are fine with swim diapers.

The first time we went to the Atlantis my son was 2 and wore swim diapers no problem. Keep in mind that the Atlantis is huge and it is not stroller friendly. We kept taking my son out of his stroller and carrying him down the stairs. The elevators are few and hard to find. Once out in the pool area you should be all right if you decide to get a room. There are two areas with kid’s pool. Keep in mind that if your son still naps chances are your room at the Comfort Suites will not be ready until after 3. We recently got a room at the Comfort Suites this past December. I have always enjoyed my trips to the Atlantis but in my opinion there is so much walking involved and for the price I would wait until your son is a little older and can at least enjoy the kid waterslides.

Just had to throw in my 2 cents. We just got off the 3 night Wonder last Sunday, so last Friday we were in Nassau and we spent the day at Atlantis.

We rented a room at Harborside at Atlantis. It was cheaper than Comfort Suites on expedia and it was sooooooooooooooo nice! The rooms there are all condos and have a full living room, kitchen, washer & dryer, big bed, huge tub, etc.

Granted our kids are 9 & 13, so I don't know about swim diapers as we tested them for Kimberly Clark (Huggies) when they first came out when dd9 was a baby. Before that, kids wore regular diapers in pools and they got HUGE and it was funny. :rotfl:

I did notice several toddlers at Atlantis though and all were swimming and happy as could be.

We loved our Atlantis day. It was the highlight of our trip. The pools were heated and it was beautiful there. We had a day in the low 80's and very sunny though.

There were lots of people there, but we NEVER waited for any water slides. We easily found beach chairs at every pool area (we kept moving our stuff as we explored the resort). My favorite area was the lazy river and that had a toddler play area next to it. The Dig was also cool!

BeachMomma said:
Also, is the pool heated at Atlantis?

I didn't see where your question had been answered... that would be a big huge NO. Froze my you know what off but I'm a wimp and need very warm water. :laughing:

momof2disprincesses said:
We rented a room at Harborside at Atlantis. We loved our Atlantis day. It was the highlight of our trip. The pools were heated and it was beautiful there. We had a day in the low 80's and very sunny though. QUOTE]

We were at HR on 1/16 and loved it too. If I had any inclination to go to the Bahamas for a vacation, I'd stay there! My mom agreed and she's stayed at the Royal Tower of Atlantis.

I agree that the weather and air temp were wonderful. If the pools were heated, I sure didn't notice. Maybe they were but just not to the point this wimpy Southern girl likes. :rotfl:

I spent 4 wonderful days at the Atlantis with my daughter in early December.
The temps were around 80 degrees and the pool we used the most was definitely not warm until the sun warmed it!!!! I remember how cold the lazy river was - but, that did not stop my 11 year old from going round and round.
When we went, the hotel was not full at all. My daughter would often be on the Lazy River alone! We were upgraded to a lovely room because we arrived on my 40th birthday! We simply loved it there and are planning another visit this coming December.
We got the Meal Plan as the restaurants are very expensive.
My daughter did a Discovery Channel evening. She thoroughly enjoyed it and the staff were great. She did a Star Gazing evening. It included her dinner.

I really did have a wonderful time but i have heard people say that when it is crowded there, it is very crowded.
I know when we went on the Disney Wonder during Easter Break last year, we chose not to get off at Nassau but people who did said the Atlantis was way too crowded.
I was under the impression that you cannot use the pools at the Atlantis if you go on one of the cruise excursions?
With regard to potty trained kids, we did have life guards at the pools but I cannot say that there were enough kids there to see if they were wearing diapers or not.
I am sure they allow plastic swim pants though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter