Excursion advice for Cayman stop

27yroldStitchFan

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
Anytime we get ready to do anything Disney related (which is often), my wife tells me to "Check" my board for advice... your combined knowledge have made trips we did before we had kids amazing and those we have done with our kids even better...

That being said, in my brilliance, I surprised the wife by booking a Disney Cruise aboard the Wonder- and we are going to tell the kids closer to leaving. It is a shorter cruise to the Grand Cayman...

That being said anyone have any excursion recommendations for those with little ones? Just trying to think of what might work best - both are rather adventuresome. Other than one not liking heights, nothing should cause an issue - just wanted some fellow parental advice for excursion options.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

how little?
We did the Dolphin Encounter with a 3, 4, and 5 year old which was good for those ages, and then headed over to the turtle farm which was fun for everyone.

We had a great day shopping along the waterfront and visiting the Grand Cayman museum when we went last summer. We had a short port time (I don't think it was much more than 4 hours total) and we were tendered, so we didn't want to go too far afield.

We fed DD lunch at KFC (apparently what we do on cruises, as we did this in Barcelona on an EBTA as well :rotfl:) - the funny thing was the chickens running around outside the KFC, begging for whatever people threw at them! :rotfl2: I joked with my DH that at least we knew the chicken was fresh!:lmao:

We did the dolphin swim, but the encounter is available for younger ones. Also went across the street to the turtle farm and kids really liked that too.

Turtle Farm is awesome! Wear your swimsuit under clothes as they have a tank you can climb in to hold some turtles. Also, we did dolphin encounter but not at the Dolphin place across the street from the turtle farm. We did the other one on Grand Cayman because it was cheaper. The difference is the one we did was in the natural habitat and the water was not very clear to see the dolphins verses the one across from the Turtle farm is in a big concrete pool with clear water. We went with the cheaper one because of price for 6 people. Definitely do the turtle farm….it's very cool. My kids still talk about it a year later.

Turtle farm with kids. We did the all day trip and that has been our kids favorite thing they have done on any of the cruises we have been on. They love animals and being able to hold the baby turtles, feed all of the exotic birds, do some snorkeling, and see all the iguanas roaming around, what more could a little kid ask for in day.

We enjoyed the Atlantis submarine, which we booked online through the sub's website, saving quite a bit from DCL prices. It was a short walk from the ship to the sub's office. A tender takes you to the sub, where the passengers on the sub exit to the tender, then the new passengers move from the tender to the sub. About 45 minutes underwater. Our max depth was 104 feet. The reef views were good. I would post pics, but it seems that the boards won't let me post pics from fb anymore

I agree with the turtle farm recommendation. Make sure you purchase an option that includes the Botswains wildlife park. Then you have access to a shark tank, snorkeling lagoon (equipment included) which has sea turtles in it, trails with exotic birds, and a swimming pool area with slide!

My five year old loved the dolphin excursion as well. We did the combined dolphin and turtle farm excursion thru DCL and I think it was a great combo for our 5 year old. She was able to almost stand in the tank with the dolphin but they put life jackets on everyone so she felt a little safer since she wasn't able to touch the bottom really well. Be sure to wear water shoes because the grate you stand out is a little rough. Flip flops would work too but water shoes worked better. We only spent about 30 min at turtle farm and I really felt like that was enough. Maybe we missed a part of the farm but I don't think it's an all day excursion type of place. Have fun!!

Check out the website for Captain Marvin's. https://www.captainmarvins.com/
My family did the Three stop, with the stingray city snorkel adventure and it was amazing. Stingray City in itself is wonderful but the crew on the boat that took us out was great and you can't beat the price. I have one daughter who is disabled and did not get off the boat to swim with the stingrays but still enjoyed the scenery and the crew were excellent with her. My other daughter talks about this excursion all the time and cannot wait for the opportunity to go back to Grand Cayman.

DS10 loved the sting rays.

We did this one because at the SeaWorld stingray petting area, he kept saying he wanted to get in the water with the stingrays. He had no idea they would be soooo huge!!!!! :)

Seven mile beach is awesome. It's always our choice.

Right near the pier is a small shipwreck in shallow water that kids snorkel and ser fish. Very easy.

You could swim with sting rays. That is very popular.

Regarding the turtle farm...do most people go through Disney, or do it on their own? Any info would be appreciated! :)

We spent a week in the Caymans this past spring and loved it so much that we're saving to buy a place there. My kids actually love it more than Disney World and they're just 4yrs old and 8yrs old.
If I only had time to do one thing, it would be Stingray City. It is one of the coolest things you will ever experience. If you have more time, I would visit Turtle Farm next. Your kids will love holding the bay sea turtles. In the gift shop, they have some locally made hand lotion that I'm sure your wife will love. It smells so wonderful that I wish I had bought a ton of it as I am now out of it. After that, I would next visit Dolphin Discovery. We had a blast here but the reason I would put it last is because there are many places that you can swim with dolphins. If you have time, definitely do it, but if not, do the things you cant do anywhere else.

If your kids are a bit more on the adventurous side then I would highly recommend booking a private excursion with Nativeway Watersports. We booked a private half day sail and were were taken out to Starfish Point, Stingray City and Coral Gardens. My 4 year old nephew and 6 year old niece loved it! The stingrays were amazing and the little ones really enjoyed holding the starfish. Coral Gardens was also beautiful, lots of fish to see and the water was so incredibly clear, best snorkeling we've ever done.

It was really nice doing a private excursion. As soon as we got off the tender, our guide was right there waiting for us. We were on our way before the ship excursion groups were which made for a much more pleasant experience. Our boat captain was awesome and really showed us a great time. We'd do it again hands down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter