Exclusive Baby Gorilla Photos! (plus bonus Trip Report) - June '15 - completed 10/23 - Page 31

Emily breaks into the 2014 pose, now with shades and attitude.

ah the return of the pole lean ... be fun to look back over the years and see how she ages based on how she leans.

Glad you enjoyed Prime Time ... definitely a unique restaurant as you experience definitely can vary based on how into things your waiter/waitress is bummer about having to wait for a while though. I realize that ADR's aren't actually reservations but still always think about the Seinfeld episode with "You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them."

wow, those "Big Eyes" Disney pictures are really cool - though not sure where I would hang them in my house. I mean, a little creepy to put up near the dining room table or something. Maybe keep to hang over the guest bed when guests that we don't want to stay very long come to visit ;)

haha, funny about the bed thing - I do the same thing on business trips ... even if I have the entire king bed to myself I wind up just on "my" side of the bed

That's pretty cool they have Baymax doing the wake up calls. Would be funny/annoying if he kept calling back until you said "I am satisfied with my care"

That's a cute note Emily wrote out - too bad she got embarrassed and didn't keep it out. ... 45 minutes for a MK bus? that's pretty unacceptable ... though, to be fair, it's not like a lot of people in the morning want to go to the Magic Kingdom
facepalm.gif

That's great that Kristen talked to someone and you got new Splash Mountain FPs ... I mean, it isn't your fault a bus didn't come for 45 minutes

I still enjoy Space Mountain quite a bit - just a unique experience not knowing exactly how the car is going to move. I am excited to experience the one in Disneyland this fall as it's supposed to be better than the WDW version ... plus Halloween Overlay for it!

The Haus isn't a bad option and I thought the caprese flat bread was pretty darn good. It can get crowded though and not the easiest place to maneuver a large stroller through though. Ugh, sorry to hear that Kristin wasn't feeling well.

Later in the week, I heard someone describe the ride to a friend by saying "it has the fox who chases the bear around". What?
eh, just tell them it is based on a movie that most people have never seen - nor are able to see now and see how he reacts to that piece of information!

Man, Kristin should have a business where she negotiates more FPs for people ... that is really great she was able to work the logic there!:thumbsup2

Finally catching up on your last few updates! CBR looks absolutely beautiful. I was looking up prices for a possible weekend in October (after getting a pin code in my email that nearly made me cry) and CBR was one of the available resorts. The colours and the beach are just stunning!

Your Ohana food pictures are KILLING me. We almost ate there this year, but ended up sacrificing it to go with Garden Grill. (Ended up being a great decision, but I still want to try those skewers and those noodles and that dessert!!) The weather in those MK pics looks so precarious, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you had no rain. (Of course, it won't do me any good given that the events already happened, but I can hope.)

Can't wait to hear how you guys liked the Mine Train!

Oh, and I forgot to mention I loved your Golden Girls reference! One of the best shows EVER!

I read through a few of your older Trip Reports, and then hopped over to this one... I'm all caught up, but it sounds like I should expect to wait awhile for the rest of this one? ;) I'm spoiled, your other reports I read through were already done by the time I found them! I guess I'll just encourage you to keep up the good work; it's been fun to "revisit" the park through your eyes, and I'm getting more and more excited for my October trip! Hoping the weather won't be too awful, but we really wanted to see the Food & Wine Festival...

Wow. The food at O'hana looks amazing. I want the shrimp. You got some amazing crowd free pics of the castle!! Very impressive. I like your strategy for avoiding stuffed Pluto. Gawd my kids have so many plush toys and they just gather dust. I get it because I used to have lots as a kid but...sigh...it's annoying!!
The problem with Emily is she really is a one-animal friend girl, and a stuffed Pluto would surely end up in the closet next to the Simba she absolutely had to get on a prior trip.

Stay tuned as this saga plays out ;)
We are missing O'hana this trip which leaves ME sad. Dh wasn't crazy about it the last time and we booked this trip inside the magical 180 day mark so it will be skipped this time around. No worries, though.....we ARE dining at Kona for dinner one evening and word is we can get the bread pudding for dessert there:love:
Unless it changed, you can still get the sticky wings as an appetizer at Kona. We did that the few years that we skipped 'Ohana in favor of Kona.

Kona was one of our favorite restaurants at WDW until two straight years of less-than-stellar meals and one year of absolutely sluggish service got us down on it. Now, it's back to 'Ohana. If that falls apart, maybe we'll have to start having "dinner" at the Pineapple Lanai :)
Okay...it took a bit, but I have caught up.
No worries! I've been less successful trying to do that on your past TRs :)

As always, I LOVE your storytelling Jon.

But no Olivia's? I should stop reading right now since you don't know what you missed out (just ask MEK!). And I still can't believe you didn't stay at CSR.
Thanks! And yes, we skipped Olivia's. I was a bit saddened by missing the conch fritters, but the decision to go to Shutters made the most sense. Stay tuned to see how we liked Shutters! (lots of cliffhangers in this post, aren't there?)

The decision to skip CSR was a very tough one, but one we didn't regret. CBR is every bit as amazing, IMO. Do the others share this view? Will we be skipping CSR for CBR again next year? Stay tuned ;)
I am glad Dylan caught the dog.
When this all happened, I don't know that I would've cared if he didn't.
But, in retrospect, yeah, I'm glad, too :)
I'm glad the second room also had a murphy bed (but sorry Em was a little scared of it) and that Kristin was able to get the rooms changed.
Don't be sorry! Since Emily basically wants to sleep with Kristin every night, her fear of the Murph means a queen-sized bed all to myself!
Yay for TOT...my favorite ride at Disney.
Kristin's, too. I like it, but don't love it. I'd actually like it more if the drop area were better lit and more themed, though it is cool when you can spot the family during it.
First full day at the World and you are at the MK...so appropriate. That's too bad that Mine Ride was down, but you got in some other great attractions. I've read that the FP+ line has been up to 1-1/2 hours for some rides. I love the new system, but it has some kinks.
I don't know that I'm ready to pin long standby lines on FP+ just yet. Last May, I didn't really notice a difference from when the paper FPs were still being used, and I expect lines to be long in June. We made it work, though, and didn't really wait very long for anything.
The new Hub is gorgeous...I think it will look spectacular when finished.
Agreed! I don't like the skrim (or the backhoes, or the dirt), but love the end results of all of Disney's refurb efforts.
I'm not liking the sounds of Kristin not feeling well after every meal. I hope this doesn't last the whole trip.
It was not good. At the point we're at in the TR, however, they don't seem to be as debilitating as my past stomach issues, so there is hope it will all subside.
I like the new lobby, but I MISS the old lobby at the Poly.
I feel the same way! I'd be happy with it either way. Hard to not like something about the Poly :)
Okay...I'll try to stay caught up now. Who am I kidding? I leave for Disney on Friday and am here on the DIS less and less. But I will be back for your updates at some point...promise.
Awesome! Have a blast! And thanks, as always, for following along.
Steve & I took Emily to the airport today for her European trip. She's en route from Indianapolis to Atlanta now and I am tracking the flight on Delta's website - so cool!. Her flight to Barcelona leaves this evening. I'll be tracking that flight too! (Even though she lands at 2am Indianapolis time!)
Our friends' daughter is in Europe right now, and I believe she's either 15 or 16. It has to be nerve-wracking, but it's a great experience for those going. Plus, it also removes another potential trip on the "to do" list that might interfere with Disney :)

Hope she's having a blast!
I love that you took a photo of this! The hubby bought me a print of the Alice one while we were there...and I didn't get a photo of it. It's not hung up yet though, I'm going to make a "Wonderland" themed frame for it.
Very cool! I'd love to see a photo of it in the frame, when finished.

I really like how Disney ramped up the darker merchandise. It's like they finally realized people like us exist!

I also think it's cool that we're writing non-intersecting Trip Reports from the same time frame and resort :)
Excellent resort pics again! It's a very photogenic resort for sure.
Thanks! I have MANY more where that came from :)
And naps for Kristin and Dylan? Pssssh. Who has time for naps at Disney? Unless it's in a stroller, it ain't happening. :)
I agree! Well, I might take ONE later in the trip, but there might be reasons for that.
The Poly lobby is pretty, but I liked the old one better. That pond/fountain was amazing. Your dinner looked so good at O'hana. We really want to try dinner there sometime, but haven't been able to break the breakfast cycle there yet. My girls love Stitch, so it's always one of their top choices. When they get bored with it, we'll try dinner.
The breakfast looks fun, but we don't do big breakfasts. If we did, we'd be doing big bathroom breaks the rest of the morning. Our stomachs are touchy enough without that :)
I really liked that fountain, too, but also like how they opened it all up.
Sorry Kristin wasn't feeling so good after dinner again. She seemed to keep going though.
She's a trooper! But yeah, I hope this problem ends soon.
Why are you teasing us with your mine ride experience. WHY?
Blame Disney!
It's surreal but surprisingly it has happened to me a couple of times too. I think also it happens more now because of social media...I've been on FB while at Disney and seen that people I know are there too!! But what a co-incidence when you actually run into them somewhere...what are the odds lol
It's happened to us a number of times, too, and may happen again on this trip. Stay tuned!
Glad you enjoyed Prime Time ... definitely a unique restaurant as you experience definitely can vary based on how into things your waiter/waitress is bummer about having to wait for a while though. I realize that ADR's aren't actually reservations but still always think about the Seinfeld episode with "You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them."
Agreed! However, while I don't like to have to wait for a table, I also don't like being rushed to vacate my table for the next group, so I guess I can't have it all :)
wow, those "Big Eyes" Disney pictures are really cool - though not sure where I would hang them in my house. I mean, a little creepy to put up near the dining room table or something. Maybe keep to hang over the guest bed when guests that we don't want to stay very long come to visit ;)
I would then come and visit.

I like that artwork, but as Pee Wee Herman might say, I like them. LIKE them. But don't love them. Well, I love pretty much everything about them but the faces. Just doesn't do it for me. But the concepts definitely are cool!
That's pretty cool they have Baymax doing the wake up calls. Would be funny/annoying if he kept calling back until you said "I am satisfied with my care"
It is cool, but I'd prefer to have them done by my favorite Disney character, "Low Battery Baymax".
45 minutes for a MK bus? that's pretty unacceptable ... though, to be fair, it's not like a lot of people in the morning want to go to the Magic Kingdom
We also COULD have gotten there earlier! But NO, someone wanted to sleep in :)
That's great that Kristen talked to someone and you got new Splash Mountain FPs ... I mean, it isn't your fault a bus didn't come for 45 minutes
Yep! Worrying about missing FPs isn't really a thing for us :)

Until, possibly, later in the trip. Stay tuned!
I still enjoy Space Mountain quite a bit - just a unique experience not knowing exactly how the car is going to move. I am excited to experience the one in Disneyland this fall as it's supposed to be better than the WDW version ... plus Halloween Overlay for it!
I'll have to read up on that! I've heard stories of people riding it with the lights on, which might be fun once, but I think that would kill a lot of what makes it fun.
The Haus isn't a bad option and I thought the caprese flat bread was pretty darn good. It can get crowded though and not the easiest place to maneuver a large stroller through though. Ugh, sorry to hear that Kristin wasn't feeling well.
It's become a staple for us recently. Especially since we're not big fans of most of the other QS places in MK!
eh, just tell them it is based on a movie that most people have never seen - nor are able to see now and see how he reacts to that piece of information!
I may have to try that!
Finally catching up on your last few updates! CBR looks absolutely beautiful. I was looking up prices for a possible weekend in October (after getting a pin code in my email that nearly made me cry) and CBR was one of the available resorts. The colours and the beach are just stunning!
Book it.

BTW, comments like "(after getting a pin code in my email that nearly made me cry)" pretty much sum up why I love your Trip Report.
Can't wait to hear how you guys liked the Mine Train!
Me, too! These ride shutdowns are annoying!
Oh, and I forgot to mention I loved your Golden Girls reference! One of the best shows EVER!
I planned on posting another update on Monday night, but got sucked into an episode of The Love Boat where Rue McClanahan played Richard Van Patten's (I had to type "Richard" because the DISboards censored his nickname. Seriosuly?) under-appreciated secretary.

Part of this was because I love the Golden Girls (not as much as Kristin does, though, admittedly), and part was because I recently watched Van Patten's scenes in Mel Brooks's "High Anxiety" ("If you love me, baby, tell me LOUD!").

I remember seeing an episode a little while back where they implied at the end that Sophia rode Space Mountain. This was somewhat interesting, since the show aired on NBC, and ABC is currently the "every single show has to have a Disney World episode" channel.
I read through a few of your older Trip Reports, and then hopped over to this one... I'm all caught up, but it sounds like I should expect to wait awhile for the rest of this one? ;) I'm spoiled, your other reports I read through were already done by the time I found them! I guess I'll just encourage you to keep up the good work; it's been fun to "revisit" the park through your eyes, and I'm getting more and more excited for my October trip! Hoping the weather won't be too awful, but we really wanted to see the Food & Wine Festival...
I'm trying to be better this time! But, in my defense, there are TRs still being updated that are several years old. I've never been THAT bad...unless you count the year I scrapped my Trip Report altogether.

Food and Wine is something I'd love to see (and consume) myself.

Thanks for joining in! I'll be sure to add you to my secret "who has commented on my TR" list, which I have to recreate since I accidentally overwrote it with the post you're reading right now. Shoot.
Anyway, I'm hoping to get another update out tonight. The Mine Train awaits....if all goes well!

Yep, there's an episode of GG where Dorothy and Sophia go to WDW per Sophia's request, but they don't even make it into the parks until the end and you hear Sophia screaming on SM.

Jason, my husband, pretends he hates the show, but he laughs just as hard as I do when I watch it.

Our friends' daughter is in Europe right now, and I believe she's either 15 or 16. It has to be nerve-wracking, but it's a great experience for those going. Plus, it also removes another potential trip on the "to do" list that might interfere with Disney :)

Hope she's having a blast!

Oh yeah, it is nerve-wracking. And it doesn't help when less than 6 hours after arriving in Spain she was already texting us that she was homesick. I think the very long travel day wore her out and she was feeling out of sorts.
And then today while she was on a kayaking/snorkeling excursion she dropped her iPhone. In the ocean. Yep, it's swimmin' with the fishes (the DEAD ones - see if you get that non-Disney animated movie reference). So, she has no cellphone for the rest of her trip. She's sharing her boyfriend's phone now and he thinks when they get to his grandparents in Germany they can arrange to get her a phone to use. Luckily, we had insurance on the iPhone so we'll be getting a replacement.

I planned on posting another update on Monday night, but got sucked into an episode of The Love Boat where Rue McClanahan played Richard Van Patten's (I had to type "Richard" because the DISboards censored his nickname. Seriosuly?) under-appreciated secretary.

Part of this was because I love the Golden Girls (not as much as Kristin does, though, admittedly), and part was because I recently watched Van Patten's scenes in Mel Brooks's "High Anxiety" ("If you love me, baby, tell me LOUD!").

I love The Love Boat (and Golden Girls)! Saturday nights in the 70s were the best -- The Love Boat & Fantasy Island! I was always so fascinated since it was about people on vacation! Where did you see The Love Boat? Was it on cable? Or NetFlix? Oh that would be awesome. Did you see that Mr. Van Patten passed away recently?

Hey Clare ~ We'll be in Disney August 16-20 - looks like we'll just miss you.

It's surreal but surprisingly it has happened to me a couple of times too. I think also it happens more now because of social media...I've been on FB while at Disney and seen that people I know are there too!! But what a co-incidence when you actually run into them somewhere...what are the odds lol

Happens every time we go almost anywhere. Every trip to Disney has been marked by such occasions.

Dang, yes, we arrive the 20th. That's too bad. I've yet to have a Dismeet. It would have been cool!

It would have been cool to meet up!

We met a DIS family many years ago. It wasn't planned - I saw their "no-one-seems-to-use-them-anymore" lime green Mickey heads. We had just eaten breakfast at CRT and we were waiting for the rope drop at the back of the castle. We chatted a bit and then we all headed to Dumbo for our first ride. After we said goodbye I realized we never exchanged DIS screen names!

I love The Love Boat (and Golden Girls)! Saturday nights in the 70s were the best -- The Love Boat & Fantasy Island! I was always so fascinated since it was about people on vacation! Where did you see The Love Boat? Was it on cable? Or NetFlix? Oh that would be awesome. Did you see that Mr. Van Patten passed away recently?

I did see that. Sad :(

The Love Boat is on MeTV, which is like Nick-at-Nite but, for some reason, better. Love Boat, Bradys, etc. Great stuff!

Ok, let's wrap up Day 2!

Welcome back!

So, where were we? Oh, yeah - in line for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! Finally!

VERY excited for this ride! We missed its grand opening by less than a week last year, and had some hiccups earlier in the day, but here we are!

I didn't realize until the end of the trip that this was the back of cottage you see at the end of the ride. Well, yeah. I guess that makes sense.

Awesome theming, btw.

We get inside, and a CM informs the masses that the ride could be shut down at any moment due to lightning. But do we let that get us down?

Not one bit.

The lightning holds off, and we're on! Here come the photos:

Or not. Since this was our first time on this EVER, I wanted to immerse myself in the ride and not worry about taking pictures. Sorry! We took some later in the week, though. Stay tuned!

As for the ride, it was AMAZING! The ride itself isn't exactly a thrill ride, but it's pretty fast, has some fun drops, and is unbelievably smooth. Plus, the animatronics and effects put it above and beyond just a "ride". The end scene with Snow White dancing with the Dwarfs blew me away.

Alright, that's in the books now! So where to now?

The restrooms! Man, Disney has the coolest restrooms.

Here is the "diabetes in a cup" (as a CM called Le Fou's Brew a few years back) Gaston place, from the side:

I don't really know what this is:

But I do know this is mermaid country:

Kristin insists we get a picture with actual people in it. *Sigh*...ok.

Alright, back to the scenery shots:

Love this queue!

They have some pretty cool video gimmicks in the standby queue with Scuttle, but we're basically walking on this ride (in June!), so we don't have any time for that. Sorry, Scuttle!

We're on the ride now, and I take ZERO photos, because our camera stinks in this light (as everyone should know by now). So here's the rundown:

You go "under the sea" backwards, which is pretty cool.

Then, you see all kinds of spinning fish and a crazy, animatronic Ariel. You can't tell me that doesn't come to life at night. It has to.

Then, you get to the bad stuff:

Alright, I got SOME photos. Anyway, Ariel and Prince Eric wait patiently as Sebastian records the soundtrack for the film (available now, on Walt Disney Records!). Then good defeats evil, and I can't center a photo of it:

In the end, everyone's happy:

Fun ride! Certainly not a top-ten attraction, but it's enjoyable enough. Also, it's one of those rides that plays the vital role of only having to be visited once per trip. Frees up more time for the big stuff!

Instead of hitting the big stuff, though, I throw out the suggestion of meeting Ariel, in her very own Grotto. Kristin and Emily are game, Dylan is not, and we all know who wins there. 3-1, kid. Deal with it.

We wait about 20 minutes, which isn't awful for a charcter. Then, it's inside!

Ariel was great, as usual. The PhotoPass photographer convinces Kristin to get in on the action:

Back to the surface!

But wait - if we're at the surface, what's with all the water?

Oh, yeah - remember the clouds earlier? No? Here, let me refresh your memory:

Rain gear on! Emily has a dollar store poncho, and the rest of us have Frog Toggs rain coats, which are the most wonderful rain coats in the world. Or, at least in our price range. That I've tried so far.

So a little rain is no problem as we continue through Fantasyland.

It's a Small World seems like a logical next choice, so in we go:

We waited maybe 15 minutes, tops. Not bad! Onto the ride now.

We ALWAYS wait for the front row on this. Why not?

Of course, in spite of already having hundreds of photos of this ride, we take even more:

I usually overlook the stuff that is up. So I look up:

Then down:

And up:

And down:

Finally, we reach the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah scene...

...and we're done! Someone told me a while back that Disney was going to put personalize messages at the end of the ride in coordination with the Magic Bands, but that hasn't happened.

As for the ride, I will unapologetically say I love it, and probably always will. It's iconic, it's fun, and it has tons of little, diverse details to keep you interested. Plus, the song is my jam.

So what's next?

How about this?

Um....ok! I think we can do that.

This is another walk-on (thanks, rain!), so we're through the queue quickly. I still grab a few photos on the way:

Since they're the best, Kristin and the kids agree to all ride together, allowing me to enjoy it alone. My favorite way to ride it. My Mansion and I. Joined. One.

No photos, just absorbing its awesomeness. Plus, the camera doesn't do much for us in here.

Anyway, BEST RIDE EVER. Heck, best place ever. Soooooo happy when I'm in there. Heaven.

In an almost hilarious development, the ride stops right before we hit the Hitchhiking Ghosts part....just like last year. I get what I think is a pretty cool photo of a barely-visible raven...

...and we're moving again! Not a long pause....unlike last year. We exit the ride, and grab one more shot:

:love:

Alright, let's head over to Tomorrowland! This night's not over!

Or is it? 45 minute standby for Space Mountain. I doubt it's that long, but we don't know. And it's raining pretty hard. Kristin and Emily are finally tired of being in the rain. I wouldn't mind staying. Dylan absolutely wants to stay until closing, like always.

As always happens, we put out there that we could split up, but as always happens, we end up all going to the same place at the same time.

We exit the park and head for the bus stop.

The station for CBR at MK is a hike, which is a bit annoying. But look - there's a bus there! Everyone run!

Dylan, who is backpackless, and 13, leads the sprint. As we race over, through puddles, something smushy washes up into my Keens, right under the sole of my foot. Feels like a Band-Aid Brand strip (remember, kids - call it a "Band-Aid Brand strip", or else Johnson and Johnson will lose the trademark!). Alright, we'll take care of that when we reach the station.

I don't know why we ran, to be honest, since there really wasn't a bus there. Or maybe it left before we got there. Something held us up, but my notes aren't THAT detailed.

Anyway, I reached into my sandal to get the mystery debris out.

Oh...

my...

dead lizard. Smushed. Ugh.

I don't gross out easily, but c'mon. Dead lizard. Smushed. Under my bare foot for a good 50 yards of running.

I feel bad for the little guy, but it seems like he was already dead when he invaded my footwear. I don't think he would be so stupid as to dive headlong into certain death.

Anyway, yuck. Pulled it out with my bare hands, too, before I saw what he was.

The bus finally arrives, and a man is loudly arguing with the replacement bus driver. No idea why, but we get on the bus and return to CBR around 10:30.

But not before we get this senseless picture:

Back at the room, the wi-fi is STILL an issue. We're all tired, anyway, so it's not a big deal right now. I load the photos onto the laptop and resize them, handwrite the notes from the day from memory, and we hit the hay.

It's Emily's turn to Murph it tonight, but she opts again to sleep with Kristin. Dylan mocks her for waffling, but I remind him that means he gets the bed. Which he wants.

It takes forever to fall asleep because the kids are wound up and saying ridiculous things back and forth to each other. Apparently, the words "cookies" and "cabbage" are REALLY funny.

Eventually, we threaten the kids to sleep. In spite of that...what a great first full day! We had some bumps in the road, but all were resolved (mostly by Kristin), and the day ended up being a blast.

Now, let's fall asleep for real. Epcot tomorrow!

(next update)

Last edited:
Awesome updates! A lizard...in your shoe? Gross. But a great memory none the less.

I am glad you enjoyed the mine train! It was our kids' first roller coaster and they thought it was so awesome! I wish it was a tad bit longer though.

I just realized we never went on the Little Mermaid ride!! Oh well, there is always next time ;)

We actually never got caught in rain while we were there except our very last night on our way to 'Ohana! Lighting in the area did alter our plans to ride Test Track one day, but other than that...nothing! :) I do have a huge stock of dollar store ponchos though. You can never have enough of those things lol.

I can't wait to hear about what is in store for your next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter