Exclusive Baby Gorilla Photos! (plus bonus Trip Report) - June '15 - completed 10/23 - Page 31

Joining in!!! Can't wait to see how your trip went and what you thought of CBR!!!
I am also on team Disney Every Year for Eternity! I don't think hubby is as on board, I'm already planning next year's October/MNSSHP trip and driving him crazy, but well, he'll get on board eventually!!

Yay! Another trip report for Nilla to forget about for months at a time. (Did I say that aloud?) I'm so happy that you decided to write another report. And, gorilla pics, too! Awesome! I can't believe how tall Dylan is getting. I can't believe that I've been reading your trip reports long enough to notice how your family has grown up. Of course, as parents, we never get any older, just the kids. :lmao:

Team Disney Till We Drop, checking in!

Can't wait to read the rest of this; we're closing in on our FP booking time and it's starting to get exciting!

Joining in! I take a few days off of the Disboards and suddenly you're back with a TR! Your intro post made me crack up, and I am another on Team Go To Disney Every Year For Eternity. Can't wait to see the adventures you had!

Last edited:

I'm not on the DIS too much lately but try to "pop in" periodically. I am so excited to see another trip report from you! I cannot even believe how big the kids are!?! Where does time go? Looking forward to another highly entertaining trip report. If you've been here this last week it has been HOT but I'm sure as seasoned vets you made the most of it. Can't wait to hear all about it!popcorn::

following along.. we just booked CBR for next spring and i'm curious to see how it worked out for you!

Following along! We were there at the same time, so I am excited to see if we are in the background of any of your photos lol! As always, I can't wait to see how your trip went!! :)

Well, I'm jumping out of lurkdom and on this bandwagon as well. But I do believe it's Sunday now...:rolleyes1

Yayyyy a new TR!!! I cannot wait to see how this vacation went for you guys!!

Wow -lots of people are reading! Dylan and I just got back from Boy Scout camp, so I'm ready to post some updates! Let's see who's with us:
I am in too Nilla popcorn::. Good warm up for our trip

Following along!

Great! More updates tonight! Or this morning! What time is it, anyway?

In agreement that purple magic bands should be made available.

It's an outrage.

Reading along. I've enjoyed all your previous and looking forward to this one. I'm booked in CBR May 23-27 next year. I'm really interested to see how your stay was. I hear such conflicting information about that resort.

Hopefully this TR will quiet your fears!

Great, which forum will this be in?

The "First World Problems" one :)

Just to comment before I forget. Sanaa is a 1TS credit location. Jiko is 2TS credits though

Thanks! Sanaa does look good. We'll see.

Emily & I went to see Inside Out today. It was a great movie and they played music from the Haunted Mansion!

I almost lost it when I heard that! It was a great movie, too.

Joining in!

Just read your last report and loved it. I'm excited to hear what you thought about CBS as we are staying there in Nov!

Cool! I read a lot of CBR TRs before our trip, and they helped a lot. Hopefully I can help as well :)

Yay! I thought a new TR would be showing up any day. I guess we'll wait until Sat for an update. Better than waiting months like the last one and I do believe the prior year was skipped. :rolleyes1 Just kidding around with you. Really enjoy your reports and thank you for sharing.

Glad Emily was able to secure the 10th annual visit. Perhaps you guys can switch it up and hit DL and DCA next year. It is something different but still Disney, beaches (albeit cold water and crowded).

Looking forward to following along.

Hey! That's not nice. Though true.

I'll try to do better this time around!

My brother and his family live in Southern California, so DL is always on our radar.

Coming along for the ride!!! Awesome start!!!! I will be patient and wait to find out who "Mr. Happy" is. In our house it means a totally different thing --- I'm sure!!! :rolleyes:

It actually comes from Clarf's trip report! I almost missed him, too.

joining in! Excited to read about the rest of your trip! (I mean...I wanna see those baby monkey pictures!)

They're coming! Eventually! I promise!

So glad you are writing another TR! I read the previous reports just recently and so it's really fun to be at the start of this latest one. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It helps me patiently wait till November when we return to WDW.

Thanks! I like writing them as well. It's like reliving the trip two weeks after it ended.

Excited to follow along! Can't wait to hear more!:thumbsup2

Oh, you will hear more.

Happy to see you started your TR. Looking forward to reading your adventures. We were at CBR during the times you were there and we did see you a time or two, but I didn't say anything as we were time crunched both times. I'm curious to hear what you thought of the place. We had a great room location and the room was great, but no one in my family wants another stay at CBR. We just didn't love it like I thought we would.

Stay tuned! :)

oh, page 2, not too shabby! I finished your last TR in only TWO days......which is pretty shameful, if you ask me. In my defense, i'm on a short term surgery leave and what better way to fill up that time than to read TRs? :) We booked our very first CBR trip inside of that magical 180 day mark too so I feel your pain. But it's only two of us compared to your four......hey, empty nesters can still go to WDW! Anyway, following along with anticipation!

Hey, I can't help it if people aren't reading! Ok, maybe I can.

We're looking forward to the empty nester trips!

I am definitely team Go to Disney Every Year for Eternity! Or as I will no referred to it as Team Em!

Can't wait to see how CSR turned out. We consider CSR to be our home but have to change resorts next year as we are taking an extra teenager with us (DS16's best bud or later to be referred to as Goalie of the Year). We will probably stay in a Family suite. Also, we have to wait 18 months (the horror!!) as soccer and 7 AP classes between DS14 and DS16 will not allow a school year trip.

Looking forward to the next update!

It's coming up, tonight! We were at CBR this year. After initially booking CSR. So how did it go? Keep reading ;)

Joining in!!! Can't wait to see how your trip went and what you thought of CBR!!!
I am also on team Disney Every Year for Eternity! I don't think hubby is as on board, I'm already planning next year's October/MNSSHP trip and driving him crazy, but well, he'll get on board eventually!!

How could he not? It's Disney. It's awesome.

Yay! Another trip report for Nilla to forget about for months at a time. (Did I say that aloud?) I'm so happy that you decided to write another report. And, gorilla pics, too! Awesome! I can't believe how tall Dylan is getting. I can't believe that I've been reading your trip reports long enough to notice how your family has grown up. Of course, as parents, we never get any older, just the kids. :lmao:

Dylan's voice is also lower than mine now.

Team Disney Till We Drop, checking in!

Can't wait to read the rest of this; we're closing in on our FP booking time and it's starting to get exciting!

I loved FP booking time :) That was so much fun!

Joining in! I take a few days off of the Disboards and suddenly you're back with a TR! Your intro post made me crack up, and I am another on Team Go To Disney Every Year For Eternity. Can't wait to see the adventures you had!

Maybe I can distract you from your TR, so I don't fall any farther behind on it :)

Thanks for reading! I'm loving your TR, so I consider you as having raised the bar. Great stuff.

I'm not on the DIS too much lately but try to "pop in" periodically. I am so excited to see another trip report from you! I cannot even believe how big the kids are!?! Where does time go? Looking forward to another highly entertaining trip report. If you've been here this last week it has been HOT but I'm sure as seasoned vets you made the most of it. Can't wait to hear all about it!popcorn::

We're not afraid of a little heat! In fact, we prefer it! But will it be only a little heat?

following along.. we just booked CBR for next spring and i'm curious to see how it worked out for you!

You'll get lots of pictures of it, too.

Following along! We were there at the same time, so I am excited to see if we are in the background of any of your photos lol! As always, I can't wait to see how your trip went!! :)

Ooh, possibly! I forget - were you also at CBR?

Well, I'm jumping out of lurkdom and on this bandwagon as well. But I do believe it's Sunday now...:rolleyes1

Actually, Monday. But the updates are coming very soon.

Thanks for noticing.

Yayyyy a new TR!!! I cannot wait to see how this vacation went for you guys!!

Well, we already told you our opinion of the monkey cupcake. So it couldn't have been all bad :)

Um.....it's Sunday.

Of course you just said that.

Updates are coming up right now.

Sheesh.

Ok, when I say that we were packed and ready to go, I'm really just getting ahead of myself. We're MOSTLY packed, but we still have two whole days before our vacation. The next day is a travel day to beautiful, sunny Newark, NJ for a stay-over before our early flight Monday, so we do TECHNICALLY leave tomorrow. We just don't arrive in Disney until Monday.

Emily wants to sleep at Kristin's parents' house on Saturday, and we agree it would make things easier on the two of us. Dylan joins the party, so we have the night to ourselves!

Someone else will be sleeping at their house as well, but while we're in Florida, too:

Inky. 3-year-old female black lab. Very mild-tempered, but insanely excitable. Also, apparently, likes to run. And run. And not come back.

At home, it's not a problem, since we have an invisible fence keeping her in, which she doesn't try to breach. So we think she'll be ok. When we arrive at the in-laws', I open the car door, and Inky immediately runs inside. As expected. Then, I start carrying her kennel in. She takes this opportunity to make a liar out of me, and sneaks out.

As I carry the kennel through the dining room, Kristin hurries in and tells me Inky's on the run. I'm not really in a position to reach her right now, but fortunately, Dylan's on it. But she's fast.

I get outside, finally, and Dylan's out of sight. They're heading towards the semi-busy two-lane road a few blocks over, and Inky's cutting through yards. Unreal.

I start looking for the two of them, but to no avail. I start heading back to get my car when I spot them: Dylan marching a shamed Inky by the collar back to the house.

She actually did cross that larger road, and he eventually tired/bored her out, allowing him to grab him. AWESOME job, Dylan! HORRIBLE job, Inky. Not happy. At all.

We finally drop all three off, and Kristin and I are in agreement that if she runs while we're gone, they should just let her go. If you don't want to be in our family, go. She usually LOVES Kristin's parents, but if she's that adamant about going elsewhere, do it. Not happy. At all.

Not another word is spoken about her as Kristin and I head out to buy a few remaining necessities. We stop for dinner at Perkins', which for the geographically dissimilar, is essentially Denny's. And it's good.

While eating, Kristin expresses her hesitation about using our departure day next Friday for an early Epcot visit. We have a late flight home, but you do have that all hanging over your head during the day. So we make an extreme, last-second switch and book FPs for Hollywood Studios on our arrival day, which was originally going to be a resort day. Nice! Now, where to eat?

We're not big fans of the food at DHS, except Sci-Fi, but we're doing that later in the week. We decide to try 50's Prime Time, and are able to grab ADRs on two days' notice. We're in!

So here's the new new agenda, with chapter links!

Monday - Arrival at Caribbean Beach, evening at Hollywood Studios, dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe
Tuesday - Magic Kingdom, dinner at 'Ohana
Wednesday - Epcot, dinner at Biergarten
Thursday - Downtown Disney, dinner at Raglan Road
Friday - Hollywood Studios, dinner at Sci-Fi
Saturday - Animal Kingdom, dinner at Shutters
Sunday - Epcot - dinner at Coral Reef
Monday - Magic Kingdom, dinner at Cape May Cafe
Tuesday - Epcot, dinner at Le Cellier
Wednesday - Hollywood Studios, dinner at Mama Melrose
Thursday - Magic Kingdom, dinner at 1900 Park Fare
Friday - ???, fly home

We get our shopping done and head home. We then decide to watch the Disney Classic, "Monkeys Go Home".

Ok, *I* decide to watch that particular Disney Classic. Kristin's seen most of it, but she has other things she wants to do. So she does them, and I watch. And it's a good one.

The next day, we pick up the kids and plan the day up until we leave for Newark.

Kristin's wanted to see Tomorrowland since the first trailer, and it does look good. Do we have time? Yes! So it's a Disney movie to start our Disney vacation!

The film was good, but I wouldn't say "great". The highlight for me was "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". But not a horrible movie, either.

I double-checked weights on the suitcases, and we had some serious discrepancies (one bag 64 lbs, another 31 lbs). Some movement of Gatorade and sunscreen fixes that problem, and off we go!

Along the way, we bypass the fan-favorite Clinton Station Diner to hit a Cracker Barrel, which was a bit sub-par this time around. My fried okra, the main attraction, was crunchy, and Kristin's water was terrible. The country fried steak was good, as usual, but we have high expectations for this chain. To cut to the chase, the okra was a let-down, and that's the real draw there. Upsetting.

We then arrive at the hotel. This hotel is great, because we can leave our car here for free while we're in Disney. It's cheaper than paying to park somewhere near the airport, and we get a stay out of the deal, too!

The hotel has a pool, but it's the pool Dylan swam in the night he started the contagious vomitting phenomenon of 2009. So we pass. Not taking that chance again!

We all go to bed early. The hotel stay is uneventful, besides Emily falling out of bed in the middle of the night, only to stand back up and ask, "seriously?" We then sleep through until morning. Caribbean Beach tomorrow!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Monday - Flight, Arrival at Caribbean Beach, Hollywood Studios

Itinerary:
  • Flight to MCO at, 7:40am arriving at 10:25am
  • Check in and swim at Caribbean Beach
  • Arrive at Hollywood Studios around 6:00.

FastPass+
  • Star Tours: 7:30-8:30pm
  • Tower of Terror: 8:40-9:40
  • Fantasmic: 9:55-10:15

ADR:
  • 50's Prime Time Cafe: 6:20pm

Last edited:
It's time to go! For real this time! The shuttle picks us up at, and the trip starts out eventless enough. That is, until we are notified that the plane has arrived, but has a "maintenance issue". Ok, fix it. I hope it doesn't take too long.

About a half hour later. we're alerted that the flight has been moved to another gate. Fun! Last time this happened to me, my luggage no-showed at my destination (fortunately, it was coming home), so I'm concerned. We start making our way to the other gate....wait, another announcement!

Ok.....so I guess we're back at the original gate. Back we go, and we are eventually able to board.

Since we'll still be making it to Orlando before lunchtime, the delay wasn't really a problem. Still annoying, but no big deal.

We're finally able to board, and the plane has its positives and negatives:

Negative: There's very little room under the seats for carry-ons, especially on the aisle seats. Our laptop won't even fit.

Positive: The flight attendents don't seem to be enforcing the "all carry-on luggage must be stored completely under the seat in front of you" rule very strictly. Or at all.

-

Positive: There is a touch-screen device on the back of each seat, with a large number of relatively-new movies and TV shows, games, and music, all for FREE! At least, I assume for free. I'll check the credit card statement when we get home.

Negative: Of the complimentary headphones in the pouches on the seat backs, only 1 of the 4 sets work. Being the guy, that means no "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" Group Date episode for me on this flight. The devices also don't seem to play well with non-airline-issued headphones. Besides, mine are in the overhead compartment, so it's a lost cause.

Oh well - I'll just watch the flight progress map on the screen (another plus!) while I type this Trip Report. That's right - LIVE BLOGGING. Well, semi-live blogging.

Meanwhile, Emily's keeping occupied by reading an issue of Non-Threatening Boys magazine, while Dylan plays Pokemon on his Nintendo DS. The guy in front of him is playing some Mario game on an original GameBoy. Old school!

Alright, buckle up! It's going to be a wild flight!

Um...

Ok, nothing interesting is happening right now. The overhead compartment a few rows up popped open. Nothing fell out, and the flight attendent is around shortly to close it. The curtain to First Class is only half-shut, so the strippers have evidently not started performing yet. I'll just sit here, semi-live blogging, waiting for something to happen.

Blah. Still nothing. This semi-live blogging thing is kind of boring. Then SUDDENLY-

...I decide to write about what happened yesterday, and earlier today. Me typing is not that captivating, but what I am typing may or may not be. You already read it, so why don't you tell me?

Ok, back in few! Gotta run. I have some already-posted updates to type!

So, I go to do that, when SUDDENLY-

...A flight attendent comes by with more headphones! Yes! So, it's back to watching Charlie, Mac, and Dennis make fools of themselves at Paddy's, while I start my past-blogging. See you soon!

Ok, I'm all caught up with the old stuff, so now, it's on to the new stuff. Only we're no longer live. Oh well. That was sort of a failed experiment anyway. Go with what you know!

As I type, I struggle with the intermittently-responsive touch screen, becoming aware that I my hard-tapping could be annoying the guy in the seat in front of me. Almost on queue, he then reclines his seat. Ok, all bets are off now, buddy. I'm pounding on that touchscreen now.

We touch down in Orlando and race through MCO on our way to the Magical Express.

Not even time for proper pictures on this journey, so I quickly snap this "also ran" from the DISboards 2015 Best Photo competition:

We take the odd step into the Caribbean Beach line, gazing longingly over at the Coronado queue. Not this year, old friend. We're giving something new a try.

While in line, I get a text with our room number: 3253, Trinidad North, Second Floor.

Ugh. Second floor? That kind of stinks. Not a deal-breaker for me, though, but we'll see what we can do at the front desk when we reach CBR.

The ME is boarding, and on we go!

Somewhat sadly, the old Mickey cartoons have been replaced by the new Mickey cartoons.

Don't get me wrong - I love the new Mickey cartoons, but also miss the old ones. I can watch the new ones on Disney Channel. But progress is good, right?

The cartoons switch to the Disney hype...hey, we know that Hollywood Studios animator! He taught us how to draw Chip. And others. Cool!

The trip takes us past the Nickoledeon resort, and I'd say they BADLY need to update their theming. Rugrats? Really? Still?

As thousands of others do every day, we screamed past that place and approached the gates of the greatest nation in the world, Walt Disney World! Kristin gets the best shot we can get from the seats we have:

We're home!

Well, not entirely. Still have to get to our resort. Ok, there it is. I don't like to repeat photos, so instead of showing the CBR sign, here is the security checkpoint:

We're dropped off at the Custom House, home of bell services and the check-in desk, but oddly not connected to the rest of the resort.

Kristin asks the CM at check-in if there are any water-view first floor rooms, and all they have is one in Aruba. Shoot. We were hoping for either Trinidad North, Martinique, or Jamaica.

We pass on the switch and head to our room in Trinidad North. We can either take an internal bus or walk there, so we choose to walk. It's a pretty long walk from Custom house to Trinidad North, but we take no photos on the way, since we have our carry-ons from the plane. The resort is beautiful! Kristin thinks it looks too much like Riverside, though. I think she's still longing for Coronado.

Stopping at Caribbean El Centro (known here as "Centertown"), we grab our resort mugs (3 green, and one purple. That won't be confusing or anything.

Eventually, we reach the room, and it's pretty far past Old Port Royale. Double ugh. Plus, the view's not that great. We can see the lake, but it's a lilly-pad segment close to the Mason-Dixon bridge in Trindad from our window, so the view is less than satisfying. There IS a murphy bed, however, and the kids LOVE it. Ok, don't get too comfortable, because Mom's on the phone with the "front desk" (in North Carolina).

"We wanted a water view."

"Yes, but it's ugly."

Even Kristin cracked a smile on that one. She mentions the room in Aruba that was proposed to us earlier. After some discussion, we're in - Aruba 55, room 5515. Most importantly, first floor. Awesome.

The kids, on the other hand, are less-than-thrilled to have to give up the murphy bed. There's a possibility there will be one in Aruba, but we're not sure. Let's hope.

Fortunately, our luggage hasn't arrived yet, so we don't have to worry about that right now. Carry-ons in hand and on shoulder, we make the trek over to Aruba.

Hey, remember this from my Trip Report?

Now, of course you know how this all ends up, or else I wouldn't be writing this Trip Report. But imagine if I ended it right here. "So, we went to Aruba..."

When I typed that, I had no idea we'd be in Aruba! Unintentional foreshadowing!

We're a bit apprehensive about Aruba, since we've never heard it really raved about on the DISboards. Mostly Jamaica, the preferred areas, and Trinidad South for the pirate rooms. However, we reach building 55, and the view is amazing! Not a bad walk, either. No time for photos yet - let's see the room!

I'm thinking, "please have a murphy bed, please have a murphy bed" as we approach....and it does!

The kids are happy, I'm happy, and Kristin's happy. The redone rooms are beautiful, too. You lose some storage space with the murph, but we get around it by using the shelves in the sink area. Some quick room shots before we mess it up...

IMG_2490_zpsjimrpbef.jpg

I don't know what the purpose of those cylindrical pillows is, beyond kids smacking each other with them, throwing them, and ultimately getting in trouble. Oh, here's our view:

Fantastic!

It's still early afternoon, so we get the bathing suits on and head over to the pool area.

(next update)

Last edited:
I'm in.

ps - your Inky looks like my Baxter (at least before Baxter started going gray)

I'm in too!

Enjoying your writing style immensely - and that's without a single step in the park :earboy2:

I'm in.

ps - your Inky looks like my Baxter (at least before Baxter started going gray)

So do labs finally calm down by age 8? :)

I'm in too!

Enjoying your writing style immensely - and that's without a single step in the park :earboy2:

Thank you! You're going to love WDW. I see you've been to basically every other Disney property, though, which makes me envious. I really want to see Disney Sea in Tokyo, and of course Phantom Manor in Paris.

Will you be writing a trip report after your visit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter