Exciting but...how to afford it all?

I have been to Europe 9 times since 2000 (and returning in June for #10), and all of my airfare has been booked using American Airlines miles. My DH used to travel quite a bit for work, but he rarely flies these days. Now most of our miles are earned from credit card purchases (Citibank AAdvantage Visa and Starwood American Express). However, the fact is that many families on a tight budget probably can't afford a Disney cruise anywhere - especially in Europe.

Haha! And there's the answer! We won't go. It's just too much. One day we will on another line though. The Med doesn't interest me but a Norwegian cruise definitely does. One day! Great thread with helpful info though! I hope it helps others.

I have always booked coach to Europe on American or their partners, and always gotten the lowest mileage (30K miles each way) awards. This summer I am flying to Copenhagen in mid-June, and home from Dublin in early July. Not all award seats are available to book 330 days out, and so I check almost every day until something that will work becomes available. Fortunately, AA still allows changes to date/flights without a change fee - as long as the beginning and ending airports don't change.

I am guessing you must be flying out of ORD. I have checked at least once a week for over a year out of ICT, MCI, or MHK. I have never found where I could get both legs at 30k for the 4 of us. Sometimes I could find it going over there, but then would have to stay for a month to come back at that rate. We did go to LHR a couple years ago in March for 20k coming back and the lowest possible for business class going over. I can't remember exactly what that rate was. We won't go back to Europe in 2014, but I am going to start watching 2015 when they become available. We might try Italy in March when the super saver rates (or whatever they call them) are available.

I am guessing you must be flying out of ORD. I have checked at least once a week for over a year out of ICT, MCI, or MHK. I have never found where I could get both legs at 30k for the 4 of us. Sometimes I could find it going over there, but then would have to stay for a month to come back at that rate. We did go to LHR a couple years ago in March for 20k coming back and the lowest possible for business class going over. I can't remember exactly what that rate was. We won't go back to Europe in 2014, but I am going to start watching 2015 when they become available. We might try Italy in March when the super saver rates (or whatever they call them) are available.

I fly out of Champaign, IL and connect in Chicago. However, only once did I book 5 seats at one time, and that was for October/November 2000. Now it's usually just 1 or 2 seats.

My DH and I cruised from Sydney, Australia this past January, and we wanted business class seats to Sydney @ 62.5K miles pp one way. The ONLY way we could get anything was to fly via Honolulu and stay a few days, then fly on Hawaiian Airlines to Sydney. (I know, it's rough - but someone has to do it!) The routing from Honolulu wasn't ideal, with an overnight in Auckland, NZ. However, I finally got the award seats I wanted on a HNL-SYD non-stop @ 4 a.m. - 10 days before our departure date! Just be persistent when using AA miles, and check the airline's web site daily!

**To clarify - it was 10 days before our departure date @ 4 a.m. when I saw the available award seats online that I wanted. Our flight was not at 4 a.m.! :teeth:

I fly out of Champaign, IL and connect in Chicago. However, only once did I book 5 seats at one time, and that was for October/November 2000. Now it's usually just 1 or 2 seats.

My DH and I cruised from Sydney, Australia this past January, and we wanted business class seats to Sydney @ 62.5K miles pp one way. The ONLY way we could get anything was to fly via Honolulu and stay a few days, then fly on Hawaiian Airlines to Sydney. (I know, it's rough - but someone has to do it!) The routing from Honolulu wasn't ideal, with an overnight in Auckland, NZ. However, I finally got the award seats I wanted on a HNL-SYD non-stop @ 4 a.m. - 10 days before our departure date! Just be persistent when using AA miles, and check the airline's web site daily!

I hear you. I usually end up just booking whatever is available that I find first. I agree with checking often and I have checked daily before. I usually have 2 or 3 things we are looking at when planning a vacation. I don't mind the extra overnights. On our trip back from Curacao last week, we had to go CUR-MIA-ATL (overnight)-DFW-MHK. People thought I was crazy when I told them that, but it was either that and go on miles or not go.

We are just going to take the train to Chicago this summer for vacation. Next year, we are going to do a Disney cruise (still flexible on which one) and then either a trip to Europe or go to Aruba. Once flights with miles are available for spring break, I will book the first one of those that I can make work and then will work the summer in for the other one. If we can't get one with miles, I will start looking at other alternatives or an inexpensive flight. Planning is half the fun for me and finding a great deal makes it even better.

I've always sworn I'd never do DCL in Europe or do the Magic again but I have to admit a couple of those itineraries are verrrry tempting. Starting prices for the cruises alone are less awful than I thought but we would be skipping the verendah for any of those.... I don't think I can justify the extra expense. I'd rather be ON the cruise in an inside than not on the cruise at all!! :)

For airfare, we probably have enough miles now but... I already have plans for them. I'd suggest checking some of the "other" airlines. Pop your itinerary into skyscanner.com and you might find some airlines you might not have thought of. Also keep an eye on Norwegian Air. This year they had amazing(!) fares to Copenhagen, London, and many other cities (as low as $5-600!) through May-June (most are sold out now).

I'm a single Mom on a very limited budget, but I am trying to get us to Europe next year.

For me, it's a combination of saving, using income tax returns, accumulating miles on CCs, and thinking outside the box when it comes to airfare, hotels and travel dates.

For instance, there are three airlines that offer low rates to certain cities in Europe. Aer Lingus (flying into Dublin), Norweigan (various cities including London) and Icelandair (into Reykjavik). While these may not be the cities I intend to spend my time in, the rates on these airlines are so cheap ($300 :thumbsup2 ), and travel within Europe is also cheap and easy, that flying into Iceland seems a great way to get over there.

My friend is doing the transatlantic on DCL in May and she is flying back on Icelandair for $309! I will be doing a similar thing when I am able to make the trip happen for us, possibly end of 2015.

I'm a single Mom on a very limited budget, but I am trying to get us to Europe next year. For me, it's a combination of saving, using income tax returns, accumulating miles on CCs, and thinking outside the box when it comes to airfare, hotels and travel dates. For instance, there are three airlines that offer low rates to certain cities in Europe. Aer Lingus (flying into Dublin), Norweigan (various cities including London) and Icelandair (into Reykjavik). While these may not be the cities I intend to spend my time in, the rates on these airlines are so cheap ($300 :thumbsup2 ), and travel within Europe is also cheap and easy, that flying into Iceland seems a great way to get over there. My friend is doing the transatlantic on DCL in May and she is flying back on Icelandair for $309! I will be doing a similar thing when I am able to make the trip happen for us, possibly end of 2015.

How old is your child? Which cruise length are you looking at?

For how many nights?

I just looked at these cruises again. For summer when our schools are out the ones that interest me are over $5000 in an 11C for just 2. That's not doable. I think eventually we will end up on a non-Disney ship when he's older. At his age now (would be 8) Disney would have been perfect. Oh well. They do look fun! So exciting for those that can afford it! Happy for you all! :)

The NCL cruise is June 5, 2015 out of Copenhagen on the Norwegian Star and it's 7 nights. Price that one, it's not bad. Our kiddo's last day of school is June 2nd next year, so it just barely works. It's the same itinerary as the Magic except it goes to Flam instead of Stavanger.

Our son will be 8 next summer too!

We started putting some money away this year with our tax return. It may not work out since this is one super expensive trip, but I figure if we start trying now, it may come together. It'll be my 40th next June, so my husband wants us to do something big. I've also got a reservation on NCL Epic for a 7-night Med that leaves on June 14, 2105. I figure if we're all the way over there, we may as well go all out! Plus everything is totally refundable until about this time next year. It's fun to dream!

The NCL cruise is June 5, 2015 out of Copenhagen on the Norwegian Star and it's 7 nights. Price that one, it's not bad. Our kiddo's last day of school is June 2nd next year, so it just barely works. It's the same itinerary as the Magic except it goes to Flam instead of Stavanger. Our son will be 8 next summer too! We started putting some money away this year with our tax return. It may not work out since this is one super expensive trip, but I figure if we start trying now, it may come together. It'll be my 40th next June, so my husband wants us to do something big. I've also got a reservation on NCL Epic for a 7-night Med that leaves on June 14, 2105. I figure if we're all the way over there, we may as well go all out! Plus everything is totally refundable until about this time next year. It's fun to dream!

School is out mid June always. I'll definitely be looking at other lines when he's older. Right now I'm planning to use my OBB for a local cruise. Alaska, Hawaii, MR, or CA Coastal if the latter 3 happen.

I love the new itineraries but the cost of airfare from the US is prohibitive just by itself. How can a family on a tight budget afford to do these? What budget conscious tips are out there for taking one of these European/Baltic/Norway, etc. cruises? If you won't have airline miles how do you make the airfare more affordable? Do you do your own self guided excursions? Fly in the night before to save on hotel costs even though you've traveled so far (seems like a waste)? What have you done to help your family afford it?

Of course the obvious answer is just not to go! Haha! ;) Just seeing if there are realistic tips/tricks out there.

Try Norwegian Airlines. They have very reasonable airfares to Europe. I looked yesterday and a R/T from LAX to Copenhagen was $750 for coach. They are giving the legacy carriers a run for their money. In July they are running a special $400 r/t to London.

Try Norwegian Airlines. They have very reasonable airfares to Europe. I looked yesterday and a R/T from LAX to Copenhagen was $750 for coach. They are giving the legacy carriers a run for their money. In July they are running a special $400 r/t to London.

I wonder if those prices are lower when you book 11 mos out? I haven't seen anything that low.

I decided to stay on this continent and booked Alaska for next year. Still waiting to see if there's a Hawaii cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter