Exchange Rates

Mouseketeer1974

Mouseketeer
Only 6 weeks until we leave now so turning my attention to sorting out the last few bits.

Just realised far too late that I have no idea what a good exchange rate is at the minute. Obviously if I were on the ball I'd have been watching it for weeks but too late for that now.

Can anyone more organised than me let me know what I should be aiming for?

TIA!

We leave in just under 6 weeks too. Obviously nobody knows what the exchange rate is going to do. It is hovering around 1.53ish at the moment. Personally, I think if you can get it at 1.6 or better then go for it. It has been up around the 1.6 mark during the last few months, I believe, but only very briefly. I am going to wait a couple of weeks but, if it starts to drop, I will be adding some funds to my Fairfx card.

i am leaving in 8 weeks and would also be interested to hear what people have to say on this :thumbsup2

As everyone has confirmed, we are missing that crystal ball. I am happy with anything from 1.50 and up. If it goes higher, that's great, but if not, it is what it is. 1.53 is pretty darn good compared to what it was this time two years ago!

It has been previously suggested that the Pound may strengthen as the Olympics draw closer, however the same was also said about the Queens Jubilee and I dont believe we saw much of an increase then :confused:

I too am holding off for another couple of weeks but will cash in if we get anything over 1.60:thumbsup2

With only 4 weeks to go I am hoping for an increase to hurry along soon :banana:

Annette x

I've been watching the last couple of weeks using the moneysavingexpert website by using their rate comparison site

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

With some of the places on the list there has been a rate as hight as 1.5656 in the last week and a half which I though was quite good

I think it also depends where you and how you want your currency. FairFX rates are generally better than the high street rates, and better than buying cash by any method. Credit cards give you the interbank rate which is better still, and if you can get a 0% commission fee free credit card, this will give you the benefit of the interbank rate at the time on purchases. The difference between the best and worst option on any given day can be quite significant. I mean a 6c difference is about $60 - that's a crap load of dole whip floats to forfeit if you're not getting the best deal, lol

Cheers.

With the Fairfx cards, how can you check how much is left on the card? Or is it just that you have to keep a running total of spending?

Cheers.

With the Fairfx cards, how can you check how much is left on the card? Or is it just that you have to keep a running total of spending?

You need to do it online by going to the FairFX page and logging into your account

:rotfl: love your way of thinking!

Currency in our house is always measured in Dole Whip units. :lmao: So when DD leaves the TV on and then goes upstairs to turn on her stereo and laptop with all the lights on in the house, a quick yell to her of "Damn!British Gas is drinking all our Dole Whips" usually gets instant results ;)

Cheers.

You need to do it online by going to the FairFX page and logging into your account

I usually keep a running total in my notebook and then, if we get a chance, I will double check online.

Beginning of May it was at 1.6 on Fairfx - by the end of May it had sunk to 1.5

However, it does appear to be picking up again was just over 1.54 yesterday afternoon, like 2Tiggies says i think of it as being 1.5 (easier to calculate in head and fairly safe)

We go in around 6 weeks too - so I must ask was it just me who woke up on Sunday 1st of July and declared 'WE GO TO FLORIDA NEXT MONTH!!!' :rotfl:

Beginning of May it was at 1.6 on Fairfx - by the end of May it had sunk to 1.5

However, it does appear to be picking up again was just over 1.54 yesterday afternoon, like 2Tiggies says i think of it as being 1.5 (easier to calculate in head and fairly safe)

We go in around 6 weeks too - so I must ask was it just me who woke up on Sunday 1st of July and declared 'WE GO TO FLORIDA NEXT MONTH!!!' :rotfl:

Nope :banana::yay::dance3:

Annette:)

fairytale said:
It has been previously suggested that the Pound may strengthen as the Olympics draw closer, however the same was also said about the Queens Jubilee and I dont believe we saw much of an increase then :confused: x

Not fully awake (at all) at the moment [I really need my holiday lol] BUT if the £££ strengthens will the exchange rate go up or down??

Not fully awake (at all) at the moment [I really need my holiday lol] BUT if the £££ strengthens will the exchange rate go up or down??

the GBP vs USD will go up if £££ strengthens

At the time I write this, the exchange rate is 1.5652
this means for every quid you get $1.5652

if it goes up to 1.6, then for each £1 you get $1.6 (and so on)

the higher that rate, the more bucks you get for your quid

the GBP vs USD will go up if £££ strengthens

At the time I write this, the exchange rate is 1.5652
this means for every quid you get $1.5652

if it goes up to 1.6, then for each £1 you get $1.6 (and so on)

the higher that rate, the more bucks you get for your quid

Where did you find that rate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter