Exchange rate at all time low

nursejackie

DIS Veteran
We are going next month (finally) and I fear I won't be returning any time soon if the pound plummets any lower. Luckily the holiday cost us 2021 prices as it's been postponed multiple times due to COVID restrictions, and also have $810 credit from Disney as part of the offer. But prices have soared for dining, and I've yet to pay for Genie+, car parking, extra dining costs, souvenirs etc. Are we finally being priced out of Disney?

We go next month too. We went at Christmas ( postponed 2020 trip ) and we got about $1.34 to £ - I'd be happy with that now!
As we have no dining plan and having to pay OOP for everything we really are going to have to tighten our belts over there this time. We have $360 dining credit which I'm planning we will use for extra treats such as Mickey ice cream bars, bits from food and wine etc.
There is of course time for it to improve - lets hope so eh!

I just realised how terrible the exchange rate is when I checked today! I'm heading out at the end of July and my spending money isn't going to get me as far as it was going to a few months ago.

The exchange rate went up slightly okay after Boris announced his stepping down as PM. Maybe check now what it's at on in the next few days.

I first went as a child in 1979, the exchange rate was $2.35, then each subsequent visit with my parents, it went lower and lower. Now it's half that. Fingers crossed now BoJo is history, things will improve as you say.

During lockdown it was up at almost $1.40 and I should have bought some, but with the travel restrictions and endless lockdowns I didn't think I'd be going for years and years. It's now 37 days away :D

Last edited:

I'm afraid the up blip after this Boris business probably won't last. The underlying problems (UK and global) are still there and the uncertainty of who will be PM next may weigh too.
Once there is a new PM and their policies are laid out we might see a change - but that could go either way :)

The last few days wasn't coursed by Boris was actually down to the Norwegian gas pipe worker strike. Hence why the Euro got smashed vs the dollar.

Hopefully the announcement of some sort of tax cuts happens in the next few days to hopefully drive some consumer confidence back.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com

is a great website to see how things are going and read insights.

I massively regret not buying some gift cards earlier in the year. But hind sight is a wonderful thing

We are all expecting better international relations from now, especially with Europe. So there is a chance of recovery but without actually getting a new significantly improved deal with the EU the rate will remain low as we have lowest growth forecast of all G7 countries and most of that is due to lost trade with EU

With uncertainty of any kind the dollar always gains strength. I'm glad we pre-purchased as much as we could when things were at a higher rate (but still only $1.4) - but costing it up we're still going to need a hefty amount when we're there next month for things like resort fees, food etc... but at least tickets, transfers, G+, Drawn to Life, Universal and the parties are pre-paid. :(

We are all expecting better international relations from now, especially with Europe. So there is a chance of recovery but without actually getting a new significantly improved deal with the EU the rate will remain low as we have lowest growth forecast of all G7 countries and most of that is due to lost trade with EU

The Euro is getting very close to parity vs the dollar. So who knows what is going to happen with that.

Except then there's tax
That varies a bit. I think most WDW outlets include it. But it certainly is a pain when they don't and you've carefully got the right change ready :mad:
(One reason I now tend to use plastic and just use cash for gratuities.)

That varies a bit. I think most WDW outlets include it. But it certainly is a pain when they don't and you've carefully got the right change ready :mad:
(One reason I now tend to use plastic and just use cash for gratuities.)
Not from my experience. Tax was definitely added on our food at Pop last couple of days. Although we are finding the large pepperoni pizza there is good value. 18.99 and fed 3 adults nicely.

Big surprise is how expensive food in Walmart is. More expensive than UK on average I reckon.

USA no longer has any bargains for us brits.

Not from my experience. Tax was definitely added on our food at Pop last couple of days.
Oh right. May be my memory. I was last there in 2018 and in DL CA in 2019 I definitely felt there was less stuff with tax included than the year before. But things change.

Given they've been jacking the prices up lately I wonder if they've tried to hide some of that by moving away from including tax on the price list.

So how do you actually work out tax?
Is there a list of what the tax is? or do you just add 20% and then hope it is less in some locations?

I have been doing dummy mobile ordering on the app (to check what customisation is allowed at each place) and tax is definitely added on, once I'm ready to pay. I'm not sure how much but it's about 6 or 6.5% in Florida I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter