Exchange Question

DisneyScrappingMom

Live. Laugh. Love
My husband and I are Central Florida Residences, and we are thinking about buying into DVC to stay a few nights a year at the different DVC Resorts at WDW, but we mainly want to use our points by exchanging with Interval International. We are looking for feedback from others that many have used DVC in the past to travel around to different places other then WDW.

How adventurous are you two? How much responsibility are you willing to take on for travel arrangements? Do you prefer booking things directly or having others help you?

Why do I ask? Using DVC to trade out through II can be quite attractive to those who enjoy a bit of "hand holding" through the travel process - but you will pay for that help. Member Services will be your faithful interface to Interval International with the following associated costs:
  • Purchase of expensive DVC points
  • High annual dues
  • Exchange Destinations narrowed by DVC's quality filter (watching out for your interest, protecting the consumer)
  • Limited booking options through II's website
If you can handle the challenges of booking your own exchanges, might enjoy a direct membership with II and wish to save thousands of dollars ... consider buying only a few DVC points for your short DVC resort visits and a second timeshare on the resale market to trade through II.

My husband and I are Central Florida Residences, and we are thinking about buying into DVC to stay a few nights a year at the different DVC Resorts at WDW, but we mainly want to use our points by exchanging with Interval International. We are looking for feedback from others that many have used DVC in the past to travel around to different places other then WDW.
Buying DVC mainly to exchange (any type including II) is an extremely poor and expensive choice. If you want to exchange, buy something that has better exchange power, is MUCH cheaper and gives you a lot more options. Marriott, Hyatt, Bluegreen, Wyndham, RCI points, Starwood and many others come to mind, all with their own benefits. To exchange to a 2 BR once a week yearly you're looking at 270 points a year for a cost resale of around $20K and yearly dues of $1350. You can get a top trading Marriott for less than half that on buy in and slightly more than half yearly fees. It would trade better than DVC in almost all instances and give you preference to other Marriott's. That's one example, there are many others for different systems. If you want DVC points to use at DVC, buy a few simply for that purpose. Owning both would be FAR better than trying to do it all with DVC.

If you are looking for value, and are interested in spending the time to learn all of he ins and outs of the program. Wyndham Fairshare Plus might work for you. Its a points based system, with bunch of resorts for internal use of the points, plus if you were to buy Wyndham Star Island or Wyndham Governors Green you could exchange thru II. Most of the other Wyndhams exchange thru RCI, so make sure you get one of the two I mentioned. The good part about wyndham is that you can pick up cheap resale contracts. If you are looking for primetime reservations at top resorts go with Marriott. But if can travel during less prime time, Wyndham is a great value. PM me if you want more details.

Matthew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter