Exchange dessert for appetizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really surprised by the reaction to this post. I did not feel like any of the servers were worried about their substitution at all. I also saw a chef come out of the kitchen many times to talk to other families about food allergies and make special selections just for them so they could eat safely. In fact I have seen it on several boards that if you need special accommodations due to health reasons either call ahead or speak to the chef and they will do their best to help you. I figured that this was a normal thing for them, to make it easier for their guests with special needs. It sounds like from what I am reading that "termination for helping a guest with special needs" is a little harsh, especially when they advertise that. Maybe becasue I have a medical condiiton is the reason they made the substitution, Im not sure, but it did not seem like a big deal to any of the servers who made the substitution. As always you can call ahead to anywhere you have an ADR and if you have a condition that keeps you from eating desert, then maybe they can accommodate you too.

That's interesting, because it's not a chef decision - it's a business decision. And there are reports that Cast Members who attempt to override the rules of the Dining Plan, especially but not limited to by substituting an appetizer for a dessert on the Basic Plan are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

Please see my post above, I think in the case of a true medical condition it is a chef decision and they come out to the table all the time to make accommodations for people with intolerances and allergies to certain types of food. I saw that many times on my trip where the chef came out to the table and made special items for people. If they did not want to honor my request, it was just that a request, I would have ordered a desert to go and my family would have eaten it later. Or I would have paid out of pocket for an appetizer if that is what I could have eaten. No big deal, I did not want to get anyone in trouble. It did not seem to be a big deal to any server I asked. They were all very accommodating and we acknowledged it in our tip to them, plus we brought cast member thank you cards with us and I made sure each one got one with their extra tip. It was my way of saying thank you for understanding!

I am really surprised by the reaction to this post. I did not feel like any of the servers were worried about their substitution at all. I also saw a chef come out of the kitchen many times to talk to other families about food allergies and make special selections just for them so they could eat safely. In fact I have seen it on several boards that if you need special accommodations due to health reasons either call ahead or speak to the chef and they will do their best to help you. I figured that this was a normal thing for them, to make it easier for their guests with special needs. It sounds like from what I am reading that "termination for helping a guest with special needs" is a little harsh, especially when they advertise that. Maybe becasue I have a medical condiiton is the reason they made the substitution, Im not sure, but it did not seem like a big deal to any of the servers who made the substitution. As always you can call ahead to anywhere you have an ADR and if you have a condition that keeps you from eating desert, then maybe they can accommodate you too.

This was the first time I heard of this allowance. My DGD is food allergies and while the chefs were extremely accommodating, (they always came out to confer with DD and it was clear that they were empowered to make decisions concerning the offerings), never did any offer to swap out an appetizer for dessert. They did offer to make a children's portion of any entree on the menu when Kady could not have anything offered on the children's menu.

I agree that if you are allowed to swap out consider it pixie dust. If not consider it the plan.

I find it surprising because my neighbor who traveled this past December to the world, also had Gastric bypass and a note from her Dr, and was still not allowed to substitute an appy for a dessert.I have seen numerous people on this board as well with either diabetes or gastric bypass that were also denied.I am not doubting you in anyway, just a little stunned since disney was pretty militant about no substitutions.The Cm at Le Cellier said they could be fired for allowing it.

I am very sorry that your friend could not get the substitutions made. I either had a lot of luck or just friendly cast members. Im not sure but I can HONESTLY say I had no problem at all. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. Maybe it was in the presentation of the request, maybe it was Pixie dust, I dont know. I just know that Disney has always been known for accommodating their guests with special needs and they worked with me to make my trip alot easier. I have no other explanations other than that. If they werent able to make the substitutions, then I would have accepted that and someone else would have eaten my desert. As I said before, it was a request, nothing else, just like we make requests for certain rooms or views,etc... nothing is guaranteed, if you get it great! If not that is ok too.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that there have been alot of hard words used to describe my interaction with the servers and my situation. I just wanted to say, for a Disney board, I feel a little attacked and if you do not believe what I am saying, then you dont have to. I have told you all the truth and I feel like some of you dont believe what I am posting. I am on a few boards and dont post on this one much because this seems to happen to alot of people here. I was just offering my experience with cast members who actually cared about people, and hearing words like ....they are lucky not to be terminated, employees will be reprimanded and terminated for making substitutions, Im not saying that I dont believe you... my neighbor went with the same condiiton and did not get substitutions....etc... all makes it sound like you dont believe me. It is each and everyone of your choices to believe or not. I am saddened and hurt by such responses on a board about Disney, the "Happiest place on earth" where people are felt to be attacked just for speaking of their experiences.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that there have been alot of hard words used to describe my interaction with the servers and my situation. I just wanted to say, for a Disney board, I feel a little attacked and if you do not believe what I am saying, then you dont have to. I have told you all the truth and I feel like some of you dont believe what I am posting. I am on a few boards and dont post on this one much because this seems to happen to alot of people here. I was just offering my experience with cast members who actually cared about people, and hearing words like ....they are lucky not to be terminated, employees will be reprimanded and terminated for making substitutions, Im not saying that I dont believe you... my neighbor went with the same condiiton and did not get substitutions....etc... all makes it sound like you dont believe me. It is each and everyone of your choices to believe or not. I am saddened and hurt by such responses on a board about Disney, the "Happiest place on earth" where people are felt to be attacked just for speaking of their experiences.
No reason to get defensive, I simply said I was surprised.I shouldn't be since disney changes things all the time, but I am.I also said I did not doubt you in any way.It was my experience to have the opposite.You are the only person in all of 2008 that has been able to do this so naturally we are going to wonder,comment and question.Maybe disney is changing things, maybe it was just pixie dust.i think the point many are trying to make is it is not the norm for disney to have done this, and we are all speculating why the change.edit..I should have said the only dis member who was able to do this..maybe there were others out there that were allowed to.

eyenjeff said:
I figured that this was a normal thing for them, to make it easier for their guests with special needs. It sounds like from what I am reading that "termination for helping a guest with special needs" is a little harsh,
No. It's really NOT a Chef decision. Chefs did not create the Dining Plan, and Chefs do not administer the Dining Plan. A Chef coming to your table to discuss your medical needs and then creating an entirely sugar-free dessert for you would have been a Chef decision.

Under the terms of the Basic Dining Plan, to which a Guest agrees by purchasing it (or, in the case of a Free Dining Promotion, booking it without technically paying for it), the Table Service meal includes an Entree, a Dessert, and a non-alcoholic Beverage. It specifically does NOT include an appetizer, and while substitutions such as mashed potatos instead of rice, or carrots instead of broccoli, or a milkshake for dessert instead of cheesecake ARE allowed, COURSE substitutions are prohibited. Cast Members who do sub an appetizer for a dessert really CAN get fired. You were very pixie-dusted and has been stated above, readers of this thread should NOT expect the same treatment. "But you let eyenjeff do it!" is not a valid argument.

You purchased or booked the Basic Dining Plan knowing the conditions of the plan, then were able to get Cast Members to get around the rules. You were lucky. There ARE sugar-free desserts available. THAT would have been the correct solution.

eyenjeff said:
I feel a little attacked and if you do not believe what I am saying,
Nobody is attacking you. Every single person who has responded here believes you. Your experience was NOT typical, and NOBODY else reading this thread and on the Basic Dining Plan should expect the same treatment. You are the only person in 368 days who has been able to get appetizers substituted for desserts on the Basic Dining Plan in that time.

But what if I consider chicken strips to be a dessert?
If I can substitute a smoothie which is clearly listed as a beverage on the menu, there's really no difference requesting anything else of equivalent value.

I don't buy the time saving explanation of the restrictions. Some desserts are pretty intricate and take far longer to make than many appitizers. heck, last year I preordered a birthday cake at Wolfgang Puck Cafe and they let us substitute it for our desserts.

The truth of it is that desserts are cheaper to make and come at the end of the meal which means people are less likely to order them.

Eyenjeff, as you are the only poster in an entire year who has mentioned that you were able to substitute appetizers for desserts on the basic plan, even due to medical conditions, it's probably prudent to make sure readers of this thread are aware that no one else who has posted on the DIS has been able to make that sort of substitution. In fact, everyone else has been informed that this particular type of substitution is strictly prohibited, special needs or not. It isn't that people don't believe you, it's that the odds are not with the ability for others to repeat your experience. In fact, the odds are against your being able to repeat your own experience on a future trip with the basic dining plan.

Anyone can ask, but based on the vast majority of reports, the answer will most likely be "no." It will also take more reports of the same thing happening for us to confirm that WDW is changing its policy, if in fact it is.

Nobody is attacking you. Every single person who has responded here believes you.

You can't possibly KNOW that.

Your experience was NOT typical, and NOBODY else reading this thread and on the Basic Dining Plan should expect the same treatment.

OP never contested this

You are the only person in 368 days who has been able to get appetizers substituted for desserts on the Basic Dining Plan in that time.

Again, you can not possibly KNOW this. Maybe this is the first you've heard of it happening, but there is no way you could know the experience of every user of the DDP.

And for the record, saying "It's not that I don't believe you, but..." means nothing. I completely understand why the OP feels attacked. It's like asking someone to "not be offended" or saying "with all due respect". You are still contesting the veracity of OP's statement whether you intend to or not.

We can deal with only what we see posted on these boards and reported from people we know.

I cannot come on here in good conscience and say that eyenjeff's experience is typical where all experience I have says his experience is extraordinary. He was indeed very lucky to be permitted the substitutions. I can't tell anyone else they'll be that lucky also.

That is not challenging the veracity of his statement. I don't doubt that he was given appetizers whenever he asked for them. He is, however, the only person I've seen posting on this board since the plan changed in 2008 who was permitted to do that. And this question has been asked a lot in the past year.

This thread should not become an argument and will be closed if it becomes one.

I know when I ate on Basic DDP at Planet Hollywood I ordered an appetizer (Captian Crunch Chicken Fingers) for my main meal and she put it in as a cheeseburger dinner instead of the chicken fingers appetizer. I was so thankful she did that and she wasn't hestitant about it at all when I asked if I could do that. I truly had no idea if it was or was not allowed so I was glad I asked. I think it's great that someone got the chance to order an appetizer instead of dessert. :goodvibes

Matt71 said:
You can't possibly KNOW that.
Actually, being perceptive, I can 'know' it based on the responses. Not a single response was skeptical or disbelieving in any way. In addition, most, if not all, the responses have been from very regular, very ethical, but very plain-spoken DISers. Anyone who did not believe eyenjeff would have said so.

Matt71 said:
OP never contested this
Simple preemptive strike. Lurkers will read this thread. New DISers will read it. Anybody doing the 'right' search will find it and read it. Disney was adamant last year - when the Dining Plan changed - that no course substitutions would be allowed, and we heard from Cast Members that disciplinary action for CMs attempting to 'beat the system could result in termination.

Matt71 said:
Again, you can not possibly KNOW this.
Pardon me. My response was incomplete. You are the only person in 368 days who has reported on the DIS, or on any other Disney-related forum in which I participate, or among my friends, relatives, or coworkers who visited in 2008 or whom I encountered on my trip and engaged in conversation and who used the Basic Dining Plan that they have been able to get appetizers substituted for desserts on the Basic Dining Plan in that time.

We just came back from the World, and I was able to order an appetizer each time instead of a desert. I asked when we ordered and told the server I can not eat deserts because I had a gastric bypass and I am not allowed any type of sugar. SHe checked with the chef each time and delivered an apetizer to me instead. no issues. I did have a card with me from my surgeon but ever needed to show it. I have found Disney to be very accommodating even when on the dining plan.

So you ordered an entree and then an appy for dessert? Or did you get an appy intead of the entree? Sorry, I got confused :)

This is the ONLY report I have ever seen in 2008 of anyone being permitted to order an appetizer instead of a dessert on the basic dining plan. EVER. For any reason.

Nevermind.. was just corrected by my husband...

So you ordered an entree and then an appy for dessert? Or did you get an appy intead of the entree? Sorry, I got confused :)

I ordered an appetizer then an entree, NO desert. They have no sugar added deserts not sugar free deserts. I am supposed to eat protein and very low carb and stay away from sugar. I had a gastric bypass not a lap band. The lap banders can eat anything they wish just in small doses. Gastric bypass patients can not tolerate sugar in most all cases. We have to stick to around 6g of sugar at a time. Not many deserts can come in under 6g, the consequence to eating this amt of sugar is immediate dumping of your entire meal and could lead to a big embarrassment for me if I dont make it to the bathroom on time. I really appreciated the CM and how understanding they were. It has been a really hard road, and I have had alot of discrimination in my life, and was finally relieved that someone understood. You probably have no idea what it is like to be discriminated against because of your weight, as I have, and I decided to do something about it. It was refreshing that disney was willing to make exptions to their rule. For the above poster that assumed I was a male, I am not, my name is Eileen and my husband is Jeff, hence the eyenjeff. I am so sorry that my positive experience with Disney has set off this heated response becasue of some happiness that came my way. I will remember not to post any happy experiences that come my way. I am sorry for all the people who had negative experiences with the DDP, and I do agree that you buy the plan knowing the rules, but in my case, I bought the plan way before I decided to have the surgery. Going to Disney and eating was one of my biggest worries of the trip, and it turned out OK, thank God. I am still rather a new post op and have to be very careful on what I eat. Yet, I still have to keep hydrated and nourished. Im sure that is more information than most of you needed to know, but I just wanted you to know how much all of your responses have hurt me, except for Matt71 who tried to defend my posts. ( Thank you Matt71!). So that is the end of that and I will not be spreading any more happy thoughts on this board.

a lot of assumptions in there Eileen :eek:

just because folks asked questions does nt make it an attack against you. Sorry you felt that way. The posters were just shocked to read this after all the reports we have had back regarding sticking to the policy

it is very surprising to hear that exceptions were made to a policy we have been told over and over (and over) had no exceptions. You should not take it personally. anyone who reported this would have the same reaction (really :))

I went to Disney the last week of October and when planning our trip I spoke to many cast members in dining, at specific restaurants and managers. I've had multiple surgeries due to infection the last two years and cannot tolerate sugar or artifical sweeteners of any kind, they are even worse than sugar when it comes to digestion.

It was suggested to me to choose the deluxe dining plan as then I would have better choices when it came to picking proteins. So I did and at every resturant the Cast Members went over choices with me. Carbs are just fuel, like sugar, but slower in breaking down. Because I'm also hypoglycemic (opposite of a diabetic) my diet is basically proteins and carbs that are low on the glycemic index. Some of the appetizers were too carb ladened for me so they did allow and sub some special chef choice proteins like scallops or fish sans carbs. We booked many 2 credit restaurants so the choices were even better.

I'm curious how the OP could manage an appetizer and an entree as I had a friend who had a gastric bypass and was limited to the amount of oz of food that she could digest at one sitting, I remember in the beginning of her recovery she could only manage a mouthful or two of food alltogether and never and appetizer and an entree. Over eating is the main reason that most gastric bypasses fail. I wish the OP success with hers, as a gastric bypass is a life long choice and not a diet.

I'm of the sort that I pay for what I want and then am never disappointed that "someone didn't bend the rules" for my needs. I"m curious how the OP managed at counter service situations where choices are even more limited.. As for the dessert part of the meal, I either choose fruit or a cheese plate for snacking later on or I declined dessert. My health is more inportant than getting the most bang for my buck and Disney is not the place you want to be when you get sick. It's all about choice, next trip I probably won't do a dining plan because even though we did only 2 meals a day (one 1 credit and one 2 credit) it was too much food for me.

I went to Disney the last week of October and when planning our trip I spoke to many cast members in dining, at specific restaurants and managers. I've had multiple surgeries due to infection the last two years and cannot tolerate sugar or artifical sweeteners of any kind, they are even worse than sugar when it comes to digestion.

It was suggested to me to choose the deluxe dining plan as then I would have better choices when it came to picking proteins. So I did and at every resturant the Cast Members went over choices with me. Carbs are just fuel, like sugar, but slower in breaking down. Because I'm also hypoglycemic (opposite of a diabetic) my diet is basically proteins and carbs that are low on the glycemic index. Some of the appetizers were too carb ladened for me so they did allow and sub some special chef choice proteins like scallops or fish sans carbs. We booked many 2 credit restaurants so the choices were even better.

I'm curious how the OP could manage an appetizer and an entree as I had a friend who had a gastric bypass and was limited to the amount of oz of food that she could digest at one sitting, I remember in the beginning of her recovery she could only manage a mouthful or two of food alltogether and never and appetizer and an entree. Over eating is the main reason that most gastric bypasses fail. I wish the OP success with hers, as a gastric bypass is a life long choice and not a diet.

I'm of the sort that I pay for what I want and then am never disappointed that "someone didn't bend the rules" for my needs. I"m curious how the OP managed at counter service situations where choices are even more limited.. As for the dessert part of the meal, I either choose fruit or a cheese plate for snacking later on or I declined dessert. My health is more inportant than getting the most bang for my buck and Disney is not the place you want to be when you get sick. It's all about choice, next trip I probably won't do a dining plan because even though we did only 2 meals a day (one 1 credit and one 2 credit) it was too much food for me.

Here are the answers to some of your questions. One I am 5 months out of my surgery and have lost close to 80 pounds since my surgery and have gotten off all of my diabetic and blood pressure meds.

I DO know how much I can eat and cant eat and that is the reason for the appetizer size portions. In our family is also a 2 yr old that did not qualify for the DDP, so many of the times, she ate from my plate both appetizer and entree and I never finished everything I got. Most of the time I only ate the appetizer and then my entree was split between my 2yr old, my 10 yr old and my husband. There were some meals I couldnt even finish the appetizer, which most times was soup that I ordered, mostly liquid and soft meat and/or veggies. I tried to only eat the protein parts of the meal and some of the veggies and left anything carb or sugar related. I am an ICU nurse and know how to make my bypass work and have worked very hard since my surgery. This is a life change and not a diet. Diets dont work, if they did I would not have needed such a drastic surgery to save my life and make sure my children have a mother and my husband a wife.

Most nights I had to come back to our room and have a yogurt and a cheese stick and catch up on my fluids becasue I did not eat enough during the day. I also can not drink 30 mins before a meal, during a meal, or for 30 mins after a meal. So that also added to the stress of the eating ordeal. The fact that Disney made my choices so much easier at the sit down places only helped me stay on track. Counter service was very hard for me. I stuck to salads, grilled meats ( threw away buns and toppings) some of the CS had kids meals wraps that I could eat some of. We did alot of breakfast buffets where I could eat eggs etcc...and then a snack in the middle of the day of fruit or yogurt and then dinner of some kind. It was NOT easy by any means and required me to think about every meal in advance and sometimes my family ate and then I got something somewhere else when I saw something I could eat. We did the best we could and I have a very supportive family who love me and support my decision to have this surgery knowing it effects each and every one of us.

Thank you for your concern for my health and my ability to follow my plan. I think I am doing quite well for someone who had many health issues, a 2 yr old an a special needs 10 yr old and a husband who is overwhelmed with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter