Excess Baggage?

FloridianGirl

Earning My Ears
We have booked with TCD and are flying with MyTravel in and out of Sanford. We have been told the baggage allowance is 20k each which doesnt seem an awful lot :-( Does anyone know how strict they are in Sanford Airport regarding excess baggage? We are going for 3 weeks so will already have lots of stuff to take, never mind the goodies we will be bringing back!

Thanks!

We returned about 4 weeks ago via Sanford. They were very strict with weight of cases. They are also strict with the size and weight of hand luggage. Not sure about size but the weight if I remember was 5kg for hand luggage. They made us weight all our hand luggage but luckily we were just under. But we saw other people moving things from hand luggage to checked in luggage. With most tour operators you can increase your allowance (for a price). Might be worth checking if you can increase your allowance. Will save any hassle at the airports.

When we flew via Sandford with airtours they were very strict. However as we offered just to pay the difference on about 15 kg she just over looked it.

I have also been caught out years ago our first trip to Orlando and boy were we over. It was in 1996 and I had to pay around $400. Well someone must of been smiling down on me that day as they used the older style imprint cc machine and it never went through, so I was never billed.

Seriously though why take loads of stuff with yuo as you will buying clothes etc while you are there and will probably wear that.

Our case weights going out Me 12 kgs, Nic 14kgs, coming back Me 54 kgs and Nic a whopping 61 kgs.

We just got back on Saturday, and we would have been in deep trouble if the flight had been full I think.

We took one half full suitcase each, and had another one each that we stuck bath stuff and shoes in that we could use to fill with goodies for the inbound flight, and we still had to buy another case!

We were sunshine first, and when we checked in the nice lady asked how many bags we were checking in and I said 5 - she told us we only had 40kg each - I have to admit I just laughed at that - I reckon we had at least 60 each, but she just let it all through - we found out later that the flight was pretty empty, so that probably explains why we got off scot free.

I think it depends on how full your flight is.

Heid
xx

Originally posted by HeidSFost
We were sunshine first, and when we checked in the nice lady asked how many bags we were checking in and I said 5 - she told us we only had 40kg each - I have to admit I just laughed at that - I reckon we had at least 60 each,

60Kg! - how did you manage to lift the blooming things!

With Virgin you are allowed 2 cases each, each weighing 32Kg (6Kg for hand luggage). On our last trip we were worried about our case weights and so we had the bathroom scales out before we set off weighing the cases - they were heavy, and even I had a job to lift them. But when we weighed them they were WELL under the limit!

We only took 2 cases outbound for the 4 of us (with holdalls inside for the return leg.

But, with the £145 spending limit you can't add that much weight to your return if it's just clothes - can you? ;)

Be warned.......MyTravel are the WORST for pickiness on the weight. I have been well over with Virgin and its been overlooked. Also, the 20kg INCLUDES the 5kg hand luggage allowance, so your cases have to be 15kg. Excess baggage is charged at a whopping £10 a kilo. Upgrade to 40kg before you go, its only about £15 and worth it for piece of mind and stress free shopping!!!

I think the Charters have realised this is another crafty way of extracting more cash from Orlando tourists. They KNOW everyone buys tons and 20kgs is a ridiculously small amount. The large transatlantic aircraft they use are more than capable of taking the larger baggage allowance......just another rip off Im afraid.

As we buy things over there ,we try to put what we need in one suitcase and put that in a bigger one so you have an empty one to fly back with.So with 4 of us we have two suitcases to check in but 4 on the way back.

The large transatlantic planes probably could take the weight - but the amount of fuel loaded is dependant on the weight of the aircraft - so more weight on board means the airline will need to load more fuel - so more cost!

How on earth are you bringing back 60kilos of stuff? I am in a shock! and I thought I was a good shopper! I often fly with my scrapbooking supplies, and paper and cardstock weigh a ton - much more than clothes. I was sure my case would be over the limit last time, since I could barely move it, so got out the scales and it was well under the limit (which was I think 30kilos on BA) - I still took some stuff out just so that I had a chance of getting it off teh conveyor belt at the other end.

Your best bet is to take kids with you - we are allowed 6 cases, 2 each, and my dd doesn't need even a full case for her stuff, so we always have plenty of luggage allowance to play with.

Bev

I had a very good day at the FLorida Mall is how I managed all that weight<g>.

Burdines had this huge sale on ... up to about 30% off plus the 11% you get off if you get their international visitor card, I spent a lot and completely replaced my wardrobe. I also got loads of stuff at Sears.

Then I had another good day at Pointe Orlando - footlocker had a 70% sale on<g>, and the denim dicount place was very good as well.

We also stocked up on Yankee Candles.

We tipped the bellboy very nicely when he came and got the bags, and they left all of them in an office still on the trolley, and then kept them on the trolley again when we took them out, and then helped us get them onto the shuttle.

Shuttle driver got a tip for helping us load them onto the trolley at Sanford, and then I just had to hoist them onto the check in bit - I was a county shot putter in my youth, so I am pretty strong - but doing that and getting them on the trolleys at Gatwick was a bit of a pain, but the nice cab driver there helped out again :)

Grease the wheels my friends - makes life loads easier:)

Heid
xx

I had a very good day at the FLorida Mall is how I managed all that weight<g>.

Burdines had this huge sale on ... up to about 30% off plus the 11% you get off if you get their international visitor card, I spent a lot and completely replaced my wardrobe. I also got loads of stuff at Sears.

Then I had another good day at Pointe Orlando - footlocker had a 70% sale on<g>, and the denim dicount place was very good as well.

We also stocked up on Yankee Candles.

We tipped the bellboy very nicely when he came and got the bags, and they left all of them in an office still on the trolley, and then kept them on the trolley again when we took them out, and then helped us get them onto the shuttle.

Shuttle driver got a tip for helping us load them onto the trolley at Sanford, and then I just had to hoist them onto the check in bit - I was a county shot putter in my youth, so I am pretty strong - but doing that and getting them on the trolleys at Gatwick was a bit of a pain, but the nice cab driver there helped out again :)

Grease the wheels my friends - makes life loads easier:)

Heid
xx

This is one of the reasons I'd prefer to go by scheduled airline such as BA or AA who allow the two cases 32kg each per person. They are still strict at MCO though, so if you are over on one case you may have to transfer weight between cases. But overall, it is much less stressful to know that you shouldn't be charged for being overweight. It is quite difficult to go totally over the 64kg per person allowance. In case you're wondering, I have been in the situation of being charged a fortune at Sanford, and I find it was not worth the stress,... especially as the chartered flights tend to be of poorer quality / standard overall. JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter