Everything Rope Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are at GF (yay!) and are going to rope drop MK tomorrow (Sunday) using the new walkway.

What time should we arrive at MK? Like start walking at 6:45 to arrive at 7:00? Is that too early? Should we take the monorail instead?

Sunday 3/28. We’re at the Magic Kingdom right now, the rope drop was amazing! We left the Grand Floridian at 6:40 on the walkway and arrived at the park at 7:00. Within 10 minutes they let us up to the main gate, we were the first ones there, and by 7:20 we were racing up Main Street on our way to the Seven Dwarves Mines Train, they let us right on. Then we went straight over to Thunder Mountain Railroad, zero wait time there either, it was great. By this time it was 7:50 and so we scrolled across the park to Space Mountain where there was a 15 minute wait. By the time we got out of space Mountain it was 8:25 and we had done the three major rides in the park.

We could’ve snuck Splash Mountain in there too, there was no wait for that either, but the kids didn’t want to get wet that early in the morning. All in all what a fantastic opportunity to get all the major rides out of the way. Now we can be very leisurely with the rest of the experience and come back late again tonight to go on the main morning rides a second time.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

We are so excited to have a trip planned for the end of may. I’m starting to plan some details...so if the park opens at 9am, we should be there by
8am?

We’re about to rope drop EPCOT today.

Any advice on which rides to hit first and in what order?

We’re about to rope drop EPCOT today.

Any advice on which rides to hit first and in what order?

Hey, now that you're done you can answer your own question:

Test Track. And that's it. Because by the time you get done with Test Track, Soarin' is up to 65 minutes and there's nothing else open. Epcot isn't a rope drop; it's Test Track fastpass.

From a lot of the reports I'm reading it sounds like this is unofficially happening already in a very loose manner. It sounds like buses, boats, and the skyliner are all operating/arriving before they let the cars in from the parking lot.
Would that mean we would not want to Uber from our resort? Bus would be earlier/better? We’d planned on Uber but will Uber be routed into parking area and held up with cars?

When people refer to Rope Drop, what time is that usually before a park opens officially? An hour? So if the park opens at 9am officially, be there at 8? TY

Currently rope drop is 30-50 minutes before official open.
Cars are generally let thru about 50-60 minutes before official open.
Resort buses generally start picking up about 60-80 minutes before official open.
Most rides will open but not guaranteed. Have a backup plan. Like if Slinky Dog or Test Track is not open yet, having alternates in mind helps to quickly adjust your plan of attack.

Staying at the Dolphin. What time is recommended to be at the international entrance to beat the crowd? What time to arrive (walking) to DHS for a 9am open? 7:50? earlier?

Thank you!

People are putting a lot of weight into something they really cannot control and realistically will make the difference if only a few minutes. You may get to the front of one line first which will be great but by the time you enjoy that attraction it’s likely all forms of transportation have arrived so many guests have arrived and dispersed.

Rope dropping in itself will put you at an advantage to accomplish more before many guests arrive but being ‘first’ is not necessary. Rope dropping in general is the key to accomplishing more first thing in the morning.

That is reassuring. We will be driving and will probably rope drop (at first at least lol) but I was concerned about losing out because we are driving. We always drive and always rope drop, but the new procedures (holding people at the parking booths and a fluid opening time) make planning what time to arrive difficult. So what is considered rope drop time? I don't need to be at the front of the line, but at what point does the rope drop advantage end? Half an hour, an hour?

That is reassuring. We will be driving and will probably rope drop (at first at least lol) but I was concerned about losing out because we are driving. We always drive and always rope drop, but the new procedures (holding people at the parking booths and a fluid opening time) make planning what time to arrive difficult. So what is considered rope drop time? I don't need to be at the front of the line, but at what point does the rope drop advantage end? Half an hour, an hour?
I would recommend reading Post 1 as it has info to help with your timing.

I intend to be on the first bus tomorrow to rope drop MK. I was planning to do it this morning but I am not moving from this bed. LOL. I am at Pop now and the app shows a MK bus coming at 6:44 with a 7:04 arrival at Magic.
[/QUOT
oops

Last edited:
I would recommend reading Post 1 as it has info to help with your timing.

I did, and I have read a bunch in the transportation board too. I get it, arrive 45-60 minutes before opening. I don't like the idea though of timing it just perfectly so that I don't have to loop around. In all my trips I have never had to do that and always made it to the gate before opening. It's fine though, I get why it is being done. The first post also doesn't answer the question about what general time does the rope drop advantage start to wane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter