Everything Michigan....

Hey Michigan DISers, are any of you from or familiar with Oakland County? We're looking around at houses, and came across one in Keego Harbor that is well within our price range, but I know virtually nothing about the area and online research only goes so far. Anyone have any info to share about Keego Harbor or West Bloomfield schools?

Oakland county is one of the most expensive countys in the country so I imagine the schools are pretty nice.

Is anyone watching Channel 7 news right now? They have the old timers doing the news. :eek: Bill Bonds and John Kelly and Marilyn Turner are reporting the news .:scared: WOW, I haven't seen John Kelly in about 25 years. :scared1:

All that big curly gray hair it looks like a colonial re-inactment. :laughing:

The last time I saw them they looked like this:
bilde

Sorry, I dont get all the Detroit stations.....I remember Bill Bonds back when I was a kid, he still looks the same...amazing what plastic surgery can do!!! LOL

Who was the guy that did movie introductions around noon, he sat at a desk.....He was balding, thick glasses, I think he smoked.....

My mom grew up in Gross Pointe Park, we went to Lions game every Thanksgiving....(granddad had season tickets!!)...Back when they played at Tiger stadium, then on to the Silverdome.........I was at the game when the Detroit Lion died on the field, Hughes i think.......pretty sad

aaaahhhh the good ole days!!!!

Hey, I got a call today from a buddy, he got 4 free tickets to the game this Sunday.....I am going!!!! Lions Vs. Wash. Redskins......WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Well all have a great evening....I'm headed to the woods hunting!!!
What a beautiful night!!!!

DH and I want to move over your way. It fell through this summer, but keeping fingers crossed for next spring!!!

Glad to hear there is a Sonic there. It took years to get one in Flint and I'd hate to give it up. Red Robin is awesome. Their crispy chicken burger....oh...(drool).....

Kalamazoo is the best town in Southwest Michigan.....or go north to Grand Rapids, they have the most to offer.......BC is OK, not great.....We end up going to Kzoo for everything.....(18 miles away).

That depends on where in Keego Harbor. Generally, Oakland is a well off county with good schools. For instance, West Bloomfield schools are pretty good. However, Pontiac (which Keego Harbor also serves)....eh, not so much. Point of fact, Pontiac schools are pretty bad from what I've heard (DH's younger counsins go there).

Yeah, the house we're looking at is in the West Bloomfield school district. I wouldn't even consider something in the Pontiac district; we're really picky about the schools and initially planned only to look in our town and our US News & World Report recognized district, but I would love to be closer to everything so we're expanding the search a bit. I grew up on the east side, though, and don't know much about the Oakland County communities and school systems.

I used to live closer to the area and grew up on the other side of Commerce. my brother currently lives on Cass Lake in West Bloomfield, but I believe part of the lake is considered Keego. That area goes from millions (lots and lots!) for a house to a few seedier areas as you move up Orchard Lake rd toward Pontiac. West Bloomfield has great schools, so that is not a worry at all, but a giant plus!

I just went through there a few weeks ago for DB's fiancées wedding shower. A lot has changed. I barely recognized the area that I used to be in all the time!

Take a good look at the neighborhood and the surroundings. You'll instantly know.

I used to live closer to the area and grew up on the other side of Commerce. my brother currently lives on Cass Lake in West Bloomfield, but I believe part of the lake is considered Keego. That area goes from millions (lots and lots!) for a house to a few seedier areas as you move up Orchard Lake rd toward Pontiac. West Bloomfield has great schools, so that is not a worry at all, but a giant plus!

I just went through there a few weeks ago for DB's fiancées wedding shower. A lot has changed. I barely recognized the area that I used to be in all the time!

Take a good look at the neighborhood and the surroundings. You'll instantly know.

Thanks! The house is between Cass Lake and Sylvan Lake, just east of Cass Lake Rd. From looking at the Zillow values map of the area, it looks like it is that "worst house in a nice neighborhood", which is right up our alley (DH is in construction, and we love a good fixer-upper). I'm hoping we'll get a chance to drive out to look at it, but that's an hour + drive for us and we have football and a cheer competition this weekend so it might have to wait until next week.

Are we still on for a dismeet on Saturday, November 15 at the food court at Great Lakes Crossing? :goodvibes

Not sure that I am allowed to say what I really think of the Lions this year!!

Did you enjoy going to the game UJ??

Funny Halloween story that you fellow Michiganders will like! A trick or treater came to the door in an orange prison jumpsuit and the name on the front was Kwame! He cracked me up!!!!

Not sure that I am allowed to say what I really think of the Lions this year!!

Did you enjoy going to the game UJ??

Funny Halloween story that you fellow Michiganders will like! A trick or treater came to the door in an orange prison jumpsuit and the name on the front was Kwame! He cracked me up!!!!

Game was a good time.....guy has season tickets in the end zone though....what thu??? Pretty sad though I saw just as many Redskin jerseys as Lions......:sad2:

Your trick or treater.....now that is funny.......was he texting cougars while he was trick or treating ????? :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Are we still on for a dismeet on Saturday, November 15 at the food court at Great Lakes Crossing? :goodvibes

I wanted to get at least 12 confirmed people to have the DIS meet. So far we only have 8.

Here's our list:
DIS Meet at Great Lakes Crossing Food Court
November 15th, 2008 - 10am

wardfamily1
Ricky's Girl
MidgeD79
Lars624
Kimmielee
JanDave
annie1995
iluvdisney

I'm doing this because the last DIS meet I was at had about 10 confirmed and only 2 of us showed up. We planned well in advance too. As a reminder, I'm going to PM everyone who signed up to meet this weekend too.

I hope you can get more people interested - I'm coming for sure and always look forward to meeting others from the area.

just wanted to bump this thread since the 15th is coming up

Hey guys!

Duty call me to be in Lansing tomorrow, but you all have fun at Great Lakes Crossing!

So did you get together for the meet n greet???

I know it snowed alot in Battle Creek that day (I was hunting all day!).

Living in a winter wonderland !!!!!!

Bring on some Florida sunshine!!!!

We didn't have the meet, there weren't enough people. A couple of the people on the short list cancelled too at the last minute.

We're going to try again for sometime in the spring.

That's too bad about the meet, you guys. I'm glad the thread is still going, though! We are heading up to visit DH's family in Bloomfield Hills/Novi for a very quick Thanksgiving, then back at Christmas for a little longer...my big disappointment? The schedule for Fantasyland in Lincoln Park doesn't include any of our visit time! I wanted to see it so bad, I was surprised it was still up and running..and still only $1.00. I wanted my kids to see it, too. We will miss it by one day..:guilty:

But I did find out that there is a Trader Joe's only about 15 minutes from DMIL's house, so maybe I can try some of that Two Buck Chuck I hear everyone raving about here on the Dis!

Let's talk some more Michigan..I am going to need to run to a grocery store that carries Sander's Hot Fudge..Does Kroger still carry it?

Another question..we may go to Greenfield Village on of our days. It's been 30 years since I have been there. Can both the village and the museum be done in one day?

That's too bad about the meet, you guys. I'm glad the thread is still going, though! We are heading up to visit DH's family in Bloomfield Hills/Novi for a very quick Thanksgiving, then back at Christmas for a little longer...my big disappointment? The schedule for Fantasyland in Lincoln Park doesn't include any of our visit time! I wanted to see it so bad, I was surprised it was still up and running..and still only $1.00. I wanted my kids to see it, too. We will miss it by one day..:guilty:

But I did find out that there is a Trader Joe's only about 15 minutes from DMIL's house, so maybe I can try some of that Two Buck Chuck I hear everyone raving about here on the Dis!

Let's talk some more Michigan..I am going to need to run to a grocery store that carries Sander's Hot Fudge..Does Kroger still carry it?

I just saw this thread. I had to laugh when I saw Fantasy Land. It is a few blocks from me. My grandpa use to be very involved with the set up when he was younger.
My kids look forward to seeing this evry year.
The volunteers try and update it evry year. But, it is almost exactly like I remeber it as a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter