Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I am going first week of April , do we know what the cost is for LL for RoTR? That's the only one we are considering, but that's probably going to be a crap shoot, as we are staying offsite. Just incase a miracle happens and I have that option, I wanna know what kinds of $$ it will run us. Thanks

I am going first week of April , do we know what the cost is for LL for RoTR? That's the only one we are considering, but that's probably going to be a crap shoot, as we are staying offsite. Just incase a miracle happens and I have that option, I wanna know what kinds of $$ it will run us. Thanks
$15/pp when we were there March 18.

zillayen's experience is a good guide. According to thrilldata RotR price has been constant at $15 going back to October.

I know you can get your second Genie+ 2 hours after park opening, but is that after “true” park opening or does it count early opening hours? For example, I book Slinky at 7am for a 5pm return and enter HS for early entry at 8:30am. Do I get to book my second at 10:30 or do I have to wait until 11:00?

I know you can get your second Genie+ 2 hours after park opening, but is that after “true” park opening or does it count early opening hours? For example, I book Slinky at 7am for a 5pm return and enter HS for early entry at 8:30am. Do I get to book my second at 10:30 or do I have to wait until 11:00?
11:00 if official opening time is 9:00. Early Entry doesn't count.

My experience at DHS yesterday (Friday)

My first time actually using MDE with Genie. I agree with others the 7am is stressful. Not a good feeling to have your adrenaline shoot up at 7am especially when you are trying to get out for rope drop which is also stressful.

MDE is so frustrating as it absolutely refuses to stay on your park choice. While trying to get ILL at 7am sure enough it switched me to MK. I was all set before 7am and using all the tips from here and Tom Bricker for speed selection. Nope. Right before 7am I refreshed and it spun. When it came back I was in MK!!

By the time I navigated back to DHS park choice all ROTR was gone. I then focused on G+ LL and got MFSR and waited until 7:17 for the next LL drop. I got MFSR LL at 7:01am for like 5pm but when it finally landed in MDE it switched it back in time to 12:15-1:15. Which was better for me anyways.

At 7:17 we were at the Dolphin boat stop for DHS and I was easily able to get ROTR for 10-11am.

Rise was down all morning and it turned into come back anytime and we finally road Rise at about 1:30pm after riding MFSR at 1:15.

We rope dropped RNR as I was hoping to get LL#2 for TOT and I wanted to move as fast as possible to MMRR and TSM during ETPE. Unfortunately there was no way to get TOT at 10:30 (I tried). Then TOT was down all afternoon. We decided to ride SB at 8:15pm. But after 15 min the line barely moved as they were giving LL preference at 10 to 1 ratio to SB (I asked the CM what was happening). And they were taking all the LL from the afternoon.

We finally left TOT SB and for the first time in my life I did not get to ride TOT. That was a huge disappointment. In hindsight we should have done TOT at RD.

We got LL#2 for RNR and #3 for TSM.

Throughout the day MDE insisted on switching back to MK like 10-20 times. Super frustrating.

The app and process are just highly flawed as reported by many others here. Very frustrating. Overall we had fun but missing TOT was a bummer.

Last edited:
If two of the four parks open at 8 am does that mean you can get a second LL at 10am if you are trying to stack for the evening?

You will wait until 1pm, assuming your second LL was for 1pm or later. Your next opportunity to book a LL is based on your most recently made LL reservation.
Can you clarify this part a bit further? In this scenario above, if the second LL was for 12:30pm for example, how does that affect the 2 hour rule? Does this mean the 2 hr rule is negated in the scenario only if he can tap into the ride he got the second LL before 1pm? In other words, 12:30pm is the earliest he would be eligible to book a third LL after tapping in, and 1pm is the latest he would be eligible if he doesn't tap in before then?

Can you clarify this part a bit further? In this scenario above, if the second LL was for 12:30pm for example, how does that affect the 2 hour rule? Does this mean the 2 hr rule is negated in the scenario only if he can tap into the ride he got the second LL before 1pm? In other words, 12:30pm is the earliest he would be eligible to book a third LL after tapping in, and 1pm is the latest he would be eligible if he doesn't tap in before then?
That's correct. Though if you're ready, you can tap as early as 12:25 for the 5 minutes early and book once you hit the second tapstile.

If you have a regular park ticket without hopper, the 120-minute rule begins when the park you have a reservation for opens. Example: If you have a park reservation for MK, then the 120-minute rule will start when that park opens regardless of when the other parks open.

If you have a park hopper ticket, the 120-minute rule begins when park for which you booked your first LL opens, which doesn't necessarily have to be the park you have a reservation for. Example: If you have a PH ticket and a park reservation for Epcot, but you book my first LL in the evening at HS. The 120-minute rule would start when HS opens.

My experience at DHS yesterday (Friday)

My first time actually using MDE with Genie. I agree with others the 7am is stressful. Not a good feeling to have your adrenaline shoot up at 7am especially when you are trying to get out for rope drop which is also stressful.

MDE is so frustrating as it absolutely refuses to stay on your park choice. While trying to get ILL at 7am sure enough it switched me to MK. I was all set before 7am and using all the tips from here and Tom Bricker for speed selection. Nope. Right before 7am I refreshed and it spun. When it came back I was in MK!!

By the time I navigated back to DHS park choice all ROTR was gone. I then focused on G+ LL and got MFSR and waited until 7:17 for the next LL drop. I got MFSR LL at 7:01am for like 5pm but when it finally landed in MDE it switched it back in time to 12:15-1:15. Which was better for me anyways.

At 7:17 we were at the Dolphin boat stop for DHS and I was easily able to get ROTR for 10-11am.

Rise was down all morning and it turned into come back anytime and we finally road Rise at about 1:30pm after riding MFSR at 1:15.

We rope dropped RNR as I was hoping to get LL#2 for TOT and I wanted to move as fast as possible to MMRR and TSM during ETPE. Unfortunately there was no way to get TOT at 10:30 (I tried). Then TOT was down all afternoon. We decided to ride SB at 8:15pm. But after 15 min the line barely moved as they were giving LL preference at 10 to 1 ratio to SB (I asked the CM what was happening). And they were taking all the LL from the afternoon.

We finally left TOT SB and for the first time in my life I did not get to ride TOT. That was a huge disappointment. In hindsight we should have done TOT at RD.

We got LL#2 for RNR and #3 for TSM.

Throughout the day MDE insisted on switching back to MK like 10-20 times. Super frustrating.

The app and process are just highly flawed as reported by many others here. Very frustrating. Overall we had fun but missing TOT was a bummer.

Sorry you missed out on TOT, and I wish somebody could figure out what determines which park the Tip Board defaults to. On our trip, it always stayed on the park we were in. Have no idea why yours (and others) keeps defaulting to MK.

Thanks for the great report, and while I'm at it, thanks for your great Disneyland threads over the years. We have only gone to Disneyland 3 times in the past 10 years, but your tips (especially the fire hydrant tip for World of Color) were always spot on.

Last edited:
So I just noticed that someone recently had a similar question to mine - oops, sorry! But I meant mine as a more general question - should I prioritize ILL$ or a really popular genie+ attraction in any park. Which of these types of rides would run out of LL sooner.

I wish somebody could figure out what determines which park the Tip Board defai;ts to. On our trip, it always stayed on the park we were in.
I only have one trip's worth of experience to draw from, but from what I could tell, the trick is to add at least one attraction from the desired park to your Tip Board using Free Genie's My Day tab.

I had ROTR and SDD added to my Tip Board in advance of our DHS day so that they'd appear at the top of the list and I wouldn't have to scroll for them when making 7am reservations. I had no trouble over the course of the day with keeping the app fixed on DHS.

The second park we visited was Epcot, and I didn't add anything to the Tip Board there. Throughout the day, I had to keep switching from MK to EP every time I opened the app. I assumed it was because I hadn't set up my Free Genie preferences, but it's possible it was due to something else entirely.

Anyone else's experience correspond to or contradict this?

I only have one trip's worth of experience to draw from, but from what I could tell, the trick is to add at least one attraction from the desired park to your Tip Board using Free Genie's My Day tab.

I had ROTR and SDD added to my Tip Board in advance of our DHS day so that they'd appear at the top of the list and I wouldn't have to scroll for them when making 7am reservations. I had no trouble over the course of the day with keeping the app fixed on DHS.

The second park we visited was Epcot, and I didn't add anything to the Tip Board there. Throughout the day, I had to keep switching from MK to EP every time I opened the app. I assumed it was because I hadn't set up my Free Genie preferences, but it's possible it was due to something else entirely.

Anyone else's experience correspond to or contradict this?
I think that this is it. I had reservations made and usually an ADR at each one. It always defaulted to the park that I had made my reservation for each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter