• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Is Uber available in Kissimmee? We want to go from Disney Springs to a church in Kissimmee and then back. Don't want to be stranded in Kissimmee if Uber doesn't operate there.

Thanks for the help.

Everyone who drives for uber wants them to add the option in app. Lyft has it already. I hate cash too.

If there was an option in the app, like when you are doing the rating, I would be willing to tip sometimes. However, that driver would have had to go above and beyond what I've had in the past. I haven't had any bad rides, but there have been a time or two that the driver could have put me at ease a little better. Like opening the door for me, so I didn't just feel like I was walking up to a strangers car and hoping in. That feels a little weird to me. LOL

http://www.cnet.com/news/to-tip-or-not-to-tip-drivers-that-is-ubers-question/

You'll also note that Uber rates in Orlando are about half that as in other cities. There's a link to a list in that article.
I hope they add the feature to tip. I'm not opposed to tipping at all but I'm not going to have the cash to do it. As much as it's against advice from some here, we do rely on our bands at Disney. I carry our Disney Visa for the discount but that isn't going to help with a tip anyway.

I still think if word got out that Uber drivers were carrying cash from tips on a regular basis they would be ripe for a thief to call for a ride only to rob the driver

I love Uber, but the tipping thing frustrates me. I don't carry cash in my everyday life. It's my only dislike of the service. I might have to try Lyft since it allows tipping in the app. The drivers around Disney are really fantastic and deserve the tips.

Has anyone taking an Uber or Lyft to Tampa from WDW before? We're staying at Sports and need to get to Tampa on Halloween. We've never used Uber/Lyft before, is there anything special we need to do for such a long trip?

Took an Uber from VWL to Universal last week and it was great, came out to $28...sadly surge pricing was in effect when we needed to head back for an ADR and decided to take a cab, worst mistake, the driver was AWFUL and charged us almost $60. In retrospect I should have waited for Uber surge pricing to be over as it only lasted 5 minutes into the cab ride.

Has anyone taking an Uber or Lyft to Tampa from WDW before? We're staying at Sports and need to get to Tampa on Halloween. We've never used Uber/Lyft before, is there anything special we need to do for such a long trip?

Honestly, Halloween last year from what I've heard was very busy, which means it'll be expensive unless you're leaving earlier the day.

I've never experienced a long Uber trip like that before. The Uber driver does not know your destination until they pick you up. So if you are going to try this route, I would tell the driver when the ride request is accepted. They may possibly respond that they cannot complete the trip, being such a long distance (1+ hours).

I was really hoping to Uber from MCO to Universal! Other than the hated Mears, what options are there for a family of 6 and luggage??? Does Lyft?

Hi Rob,
Just got back from our trip. I missed in the thread about a pickup at Epcot what the issue was, and to walk to boardwalk, I assume through World Showcase.
But, I had some very happy intoxicated young gals singing along about we love Uber. They were actually using Uber from the Food and Wine, where the parking lot and park was wall to wall cars and people for a ride to "their car." I have no idea how an Uber driver could find them in that crowd, but they were happy not to be walking......

I could have used an Uber to take my son to Sanford Thursday, but I just hopped in the rental at 5:00 AM and took him. But, he drove up I 4, somehow I took I 4 and it turned into 417, I had unmaned tolls for 75 cents, it was about $5 and no idea how WAZE took my instead of the I 4 the morning before. I almost missed my flight finding a gas station, took a Sanford airport exit instead of staying on 417, it was a nightmare.

Uber for either he or I would have been much less stress. Thanks for the job you do in your market, hope I get busier here in the North.

I've never experienced a long Uber trip like that before. The Uber driver does not know your destination until they pick you up. So if you are going to try this route, I would tell the driver when the ride request is accepted. They may possibly respond that they cannot complete the trip, being such a long distance (1+ hours).

I agree with Sehsun. Once the driver accepts your fare, you will get his phone number. Call him right away and explain. He may be interested due to the fare he stands to earn, but I would think a lot of drivers would want to decline due to the distance/time. The driver won't earn anything for the drive back to Orlando after he drops you off, so it may not be worth their while. You may want to look into a flat rate car service.

I called an Uber in suburban Detroit and needed to get to the airport which was about 30 miles away, during rush hour. My driver agreed to it, but mentioned he was only expecting fares that were close by and he had planned on going home after taking my fare. I ended up making him over an hour later than he planned on being. He was super nice about it, but since they make their own schedules, I can see how a drive to Tampa may be tough for them. He also told me how in some cities, once a driver accepts a fare, the drivers were calling the customers to see where they were going. If it was too far or not where they wanted to be, they were cancelling the request and leaving the customer hanging. This is obviously against Uber policy, and hasn't happened to me, but also goes to show that not all drivers are open to anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter