• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever witness anything while visiting Disney that made you thank your lucky stars?

tuckerkeys

official cookie taster
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, however, being that it's Christmas Eve I find myself thinking of stuff.....

On a trip with my mom, who has since passed, we stayed at the wilderness lodge. There was a family staying there that we always seemed to ride the boat with in the mornings, and also sat by them at the pool everyday. our schedules seemed to align.

Being the talky nut my mom was, she always got to chatting it up with this family.....We found out that this family's young mom had terminal cancer and that this was their "last" trip with their little sons for them to remember all the good times they had with her.

We never found out where they were from & can't remember their names. this was 7-8 years ago and I find myself wondering how everything went for them. As sad of an event they were going through, we never would have known what devastating thing was going on in their family unless they had mentioned it to us. They genuinely seemed like any other " normal" family just vacationing in Disney. Even though they told us what was going on, their spirits were up and happy to be in Disney just like everyone else.

So, has anyone else had any kind of reality check or something like this while in Disney? Makes me thank my lucky stars everyday for a happy and healthy family....

Well, we were on the lagoon when the helicopter was looking for the alligator last summer, and then when we got back to our room at WL and found out what it was doing and we could still see it from our room it was very sad...

When I see families with severely challenged children in wheelchairs, I silently thank God of my blessings and our healthy children (all adults now). I don't complain about anything after that. I cannot imagine what they have to go thru on a daily basis and wish them a beautiful trip to get away from the struggles of every day life.

Oh, easy. Just seeing the castle or EPCOT golf ball makes me realise how thankful I am to be there :)

Yes sir! When I was growing up, Disneyland was a once in a lifetime trip. When DW & I got married, Disney was a big part of our lives and we've made it a priority.
Every time we go I feel so grateful that things worked out that we have been so many times and we'll be back!

I do take note that there are many folks with various disabilities at WDW. I'm grateful that my family have been spared that (so far), but I also appreciate that they may well be enjoying the best time of their lives, and I'm glad they get to do that.

One year we were at the WL. There was a couple there with 2 beautiful daughters both wheelchair bound.

I don't know what their disease/syndrome/problem was but you could tell they had the same thing, the older girl was a couple of years further along in the process because she had more "equipment" on her wheelchair. And both of them had thousands of dollars of equipment on their electric wheelchairs.

The thing that struck me is that they all looked so happy. The mother was so serene looking. The father was very attentive. And with all that to deal with. I thought to myself "I have no problems".

When I see families with severely challenged children in wheelchairs, I silently thank God of my blessings and our healthy children (all adults now). I don't complain about anything after that. I cannot imagine what they have to go thru on a daily basis and wish them a beautiful trip to get away from the struggles of every day life.

I see the ones with severe handicaps and even though I do have a special needs child (Autism spectrum), he is physically able.

I am sure some people saw him when he was younger and having a meltdown and thinking we were just horrible parents (I had a few make comments so I am pretty sure I know what some of them thought). It is hard when the disability isn't overt and know people are judging. I am better with it now, but it used to really upset me.

But yes, I have it good. Very good.

We are healthy, we are alive, and we actually enjoy each other (usually! haha)

Being able to afford a trip as often as we do makes me thank my lucky stars! But yeah, I've seen some ugly behavior there that has made me beyond grateful to not either BE that person or stuck in family/on a trip with that person.

Anytime I see a make a wish family.

I don't even have children, but I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be even if it was a niece or nephew. Very thankful for good health!

My family volunteers every trip at Give the Kids the World Village for a night in their ice cream parlor. The families are SO kind so appreciative etc and initially I marveled at how could they be while facing a devastating circumstance(some obvious some not). Always makes me appreciate my life a little bit more. I know it has had an impact on DD. She focused her college essay on the experiences.

The situations that make me thank my lucky stars are the ones where people are obviously fed up with the situation, whether it is the heat, the cost, or dealing with unhappy children/family members. I'm fortunate to travel with family who love WDW/USF/DLR, etc.

When I see families with members who are obviously ill or have a disability I am thrilled that they are willing and able to make the trip. I work with many children who have all kinds of different challenges and some parents are reluctant to take them anywhere because of the difficulties of travel and being in unfamiliar places. Way to go, brave parents!

I have a 17 year old who was a very sick infant. She has had many health issues and a learning disability. On that first trip I was thrilled at how well she responded to everything and I swore that her language use exploded after that vacation. It has only been good for her. I was sooo thankful!

During this summer's vacation at WDW I was thanking God that I was able to enjoy it and be healthy. The summer before we were wondering if it would be my last. During the 2015 trip I was waiting for a liver resection to remove many tumors, which we were told were not cancer. It ended up that they were cancer. I ended up hospitalized 5 times, 2 major surgeries, and infections bordering on sepsis after each one. It was a long, terrible year. This summer I was near ecstatic to be back and enjoy it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter