Ever see anything totally shocking and unexpected on a cruise?

Yes. I said a firm "NO" and then het turned to DW stating:"The lady thinks otherwise". Fortunately DW was the one wanting to leave even sooner than I was, so after a couple of NO, NO, NO. He got the message. I can imagine that people less firm can be tricked into this. We left a note about this on the comments card for DCL as it was in a Port Adventure booked through them.

:lmao:It always amazes me how unaware some people become once on vacation!

This one wasn't exactly shocking, but on one trip there was this asian girl who had the most elaborate costumes each night! They must've been cosplay or something, but our whole family enjoyed finding her each nigh because she always matched the characters!

We were on the Fantasy in August 2014 (7n) and saw the same thing..... Wonder if we were on the same cruise!

---Paul from Southern NJ

Well the definition of "fun" for many parental units is to push as much out the expensive vacation as possible. As both WDW and DCL vacations are not cheap. Unfortunately this definition is not recognized by the offspring, who much rather do some relaxing or run to a passing Princess instead of quickly doing the next two rides or getting as much food for your money as possible.
That reminds me of a mother with a couple of kids I would say were under 10 on the panama canal cruise. It was the day we were transiting the canal and it was around 4 in the afternoon we were in the last lock and the kids wanted to go play with there friends in the club/lab. She said something like remember i told when you came on this cruise you would have to spend the whole day with me" I also herd her say something about them being up early as well I think. I kind of felt bad for the kids as they just wanted to go and play as they seemed really bored.

This is something unexpected that happened to us on a recent Fantasy trip. We were eating breakfast At the Buffett. The mother of the family beside us went to get food and left the dad holding a baby, and a small girl about 5 and her brother about 8 were eating. The dad starts to interrupt the boy and says "show us a side kick". The boy gets up and does some sort of martial arts kick, then goes back to eating. The dad says "show us a front kick", the kid does it and goes back to eating. Well, the dad keeps interrupting this quiet kid eating his breakfast with " show us a front kick", "show us a side kick", "show us a back kick" over and over. After awhile this kid's kicks look sloppy and I told my sis that this isn't going to end well. Sure enough, the boy lost his balance on a side kick and smacked his face into the corner of the table and fell to the floor.

Blood was everywhere, the boy was crying with his bloody nose, and this father was LAUGHING the entire time. A bunch of CM's came over to check out this boy and clean up. The mother appeared and didn't blink and started eating. The baby and little sis were quiet.

This is something unexpected that happened to us on a recent Fantasy trip. We were eating breakfast At the Buffett. The mother of the family beside us went to get food and left the dad holding a baby, and a small girl about 5 and her brother about 8 were eating. The dad starts to interrupt the boy and says "show us a side kick". The boy gets up and does some sort of martial arts kick, then goes back to eating. The dad says "show us a front kick", the kid does it and goes back to eating. Well, the dad keeps interrupting this quiet kid eating his breakfast with " show us a front kick", "show us a side kick", "show us a back kick" over and over. After awhile this kid's kicks look sloppy and I told my sis that this isn't going to end well. Sure enough, the boy lost his balance on a side kick and smacked his face into the corner of the table and fell to the floor.

Blood was everywhere, the boy was crying with his bloody nose, and this father was LAUGHING the entire time. A bunch of CM's came over to check out this boy and clean up. The mother appeared and didn't blink and started eating. The baby and little sis were quiet.

You know they saying it takes all kinds........
I'm shaking my head at this one.

Lol. This is how my friend finally got his boy after 3 girls. I didn't ask the details. Just that they paid for the ability to select the *** of the child.

Or so I was told and they have $$$$ so I don't know. At first I didn't believe they could even do that but guess they can lol

They can't "go back in" and do it, but there are a couple ways to select for gender. One is to centrifuge the man's portion. "Girls" weigh more because the X chromosome is larger than the Y, and will tend to flow to the bottom. It's not 100%, but it's pretty good. The other (and considerably more expensive) way is to fertilize outside of the womb and check the chromosomes with a microscope before implantation.

They can't "go back in" and do it, but there are a couple ways to select for gender. One is to centrifuge the man's portion. "Girls" weigh more because the X chromosome is larger than the Y, and will tend to flow to the bottom. It's not 100%, but it's pretty good. The other (and considerably more expensive) way is to fertilize outside of the womb and check the chromosomes with a microscope before implantation.
I've learned a lot on these boards over the last few years, but this information :Dtakes the cake (in a good way)!

Actually, the sperm spinning can be done with either IUI (inject them into the uterus and have fertilization happen there,) or IVF (external fertilization.) You're right that IVF is considerably more expensive, but the sperm collection method is essentially the same. ICSI allows for single sperm selection, but I don't know as much about that since it pretty much only applies to those with a low count.

I got three stories:

1) While people were still boarding the Dream, in the adult section, we had to hear a 10-15 minutes rant from a possibly drunk and very loud guy (trying to make sure everybody else around him could hear his complaint) about "how he had been on the boat for three hours and still wasn't able to get a cigar, that during his last cruise on the Fantasy he could get his cigar within the first hour --once or twice during the rant, he started chanting "We wanna smoke! We wanna smoke!" (nobody chanted with him)-- how he had paid thousands of dollars to be on this cruiseship therefore he deserved to be able to smoke his cigar right away... then asking to talk to the barman's manager... and finally stating that DCL was a crappy cruiseline and that he would never ever have another cruise with DCL."

IMO people should not behave like this in public. Disney World and DCL are "happy places". Go away!

I was actually scared to spend the week-end with loud and obnoxious people like him. Thankfully, I've never seen him again and adults were very quiet for the rest of the cruise.

The two other stories happened in WDW:

2) On the monorail, a young lady received a call about a relative who had just been admitted in the hospital (and possibly dying If I understood correctly), she was crying and telling the person on the phone to stay strong and wait for her as she was going to be there ASAP. It was really heartbreaking.

3) I saw a man throwing a tantrum at his wife... He was not beating her but he was yelling at her and was violently throwing their luggage on the floor. And kicking the bench where she was seated. We were on a bus leaving the resort so I have never know the end of the story... But I have been raised by a violent father (sorry if it's TMI) and that one, I will never forget. It made me feel very sad.

Last edited:
On our recent Wonder Alaska cruise there were two women with fake newborn babies. I'd actually heard of this before. It's apparently a thing. Women (and I assume some men) treat these babies as if they were real. We saw them a few times, mostly in line to meet characters. Then the women were at Palo the night we were. I was telling my family about them (they had seen them too) and one asked "where are the babies now" and I said "probably in Flounder's Reef", lol. Everyone had a good laugh.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise last week on Royal's Allure when I noticed a man massaging a women's shoulders and back while she held her bikini top on with her hands. She was in a lounge chair facing away from the closest pool, but facing on the pool on the opposite side of the of ship. Next thing I know he stands up in front of her while she removes her top completely. He picks up his camera and begins snapping topless photos of her. She then picks up a second bikini top and puts it on. A minute or so later a girl (Their daughter??) around 12-13 walks up, they pack up their belongs and leave.

It made for an interesting story at dinner. :)

On our recent Wonder Alaska cruise there were two women with fake newborn babies. I'd actually heard of this before. It's apparently a thing. Women (and I assume some men) treat these babies as if they were real. We saw them a few times, mostly in line to meet characters. Then the women were at Palo the night we were. I was telling my family about them (they had seen them too) and one asked "where are the babies now" and I said "probably in Flounder's Reef", lol. Everyone had a good laugh.

Having no experience with this pseudo-baby phenomenon,does DCL have a position on how to manage/respond?

It's been discussed on the DIS a while ago. Disney manages these "babies" as if they were kids. They will be served food, but they will not be allowed in Palo/Remy as they are assumed to be 18-. Characters will take pictures with them.
You know: nobody is hurt by these people taking care of dolls, so I wouldn't make a big issue about this. I would not like to be seated with a "parent" like this in the MDR and having a conversation with the doll about it's port adventure. Just not my idea of a vacation.

I would not like to be seated with a "parent" like this in the MDR and having a conversation with the doll about it's port adventure. Just not my idea of a vacation.

I would ask to be moved as it would make me uncomfortable to be seated with dolls...... but then it's very unlikely to happen as we don't travel with kids :-)

I have a kind of fear of dolls. Don't know if I'd be able to take dinner with one! Hope I don't have to find out!

The other question that comes to mind is, if these dolls are treated like the real thing and served meals, etc. do the "parents" pay a supplemental fee as well? Might as well get the entire experience...

This thought (along with many other thoughts) came to mind after watching that video ... :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter