Ever run into someone you know?

bucks9009

Earning My Ears
Have you ever run into someone you know but did not know they were going to be on the cruise with you?

Our first cruise on the Wonder when I was checking in my boys to the kids club I recognized a student I had taught years ago at an elementary school where I was the PE teacher. He said it was the first time he ever saw someone on the ship he knew previous to working there.

Not on a cruise, but on our last WDW trip, we ran into two families we knew at our hotel (unplanned) and one family we planned to meet up with.

Have you ever run into someone you know but did not know they were going to be on the cruise with you?

Our first cruise on the Wonder when I was checking in my boys to the kids club I recognized a student I had taught years ago at an elementary school where I was the PE teacher. He said it was the first time he ever saw someone on the ship he knew previous to working there.
On our WBTA we ran into a couple that we had met on our first cruise several years earlier. And my husband met a woman he works with on the same cruise.

Last edited:
Couple years ago on the Magic I went to breakfast first morning in the buffet and sitting outside on the stern I ran into a couple that I work with - small world!

On our Alaska sailing last summer, i Ran into a friend from grad school whom I had not talked to in over 15 yrs-- he was in the cabin next door with his family! Small world

Several years ago, at Parrot Cay for breakfast, was sat at a table with a mom and her 2 kids. She and I had dated for about a year several years earlier and she ended up moving to Colorado and we lost touch over the next 10 years.
:o

Last year on the Fantasy we ran into a lady waiting for the elevator and starting talking to her, it turns out she and her family live a couple streets away from us.

Absolutely. On my last trip to Florida in Feb, we were at Universal Studios in line for The Simpsons ride and I looked over and standing right next to us was my very first boyfriend that I dated when I was 16. Very odd considering I'm now 40, originally from PA and living in Scotland...wasn't expecting that.

x
Dora

On our DCL Alaska cruise on the Wonder, we hiked on the Mendenhall Glacier. It was the four of us and a woman that we met on the hike. A year later, she happened to be sitting two table away from us at Palo on the Magic.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that the student I taught was a Disney crew member at the kids area.

On a Carnival cruise, the first day, we were walking upstairs and heard a voice behind us say "Is that Grif?"
Stopped us right there, we were completely surprised, As this is a nickname DH only uses at work. Turned out to be the brand new employee my DH had just finish training over the last 2 months.
The cruise was a surprise for my DH, he thought we were doing a staycation during his time off. So he never mentioned the cruise to his new coworker. DH had no idea about the cruise until we parked at the port and I pulled luggage out of trunk.
When he saw his co-worker, he gave me a horrified look that said...I just spent 12 hour days with this guy for 2 months, tell me this isn't part of the surprise.

On our Magic 2011 cruise we were sitting at dinner the first night when my son who was 7 was waving to the kid at the table behind us. Ended up being someone that rode his bus and I knew the mom from PTA.

We were standing in line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in September and we looked in the next line and there was one of DS's 3rd grade teachers (he is currently in 3rd grade). They were both playing hookie from school. She and her family were going on DCL the following day.

I was 3 years old at dland when i ran into my bff. We had no idea our families were visiting at the same time! Pre cell phone and gps! I have the picture to this day as we are screaming and running into each others arms!!

Unfortunately I have never run into anyone I know on a cruise. I have run into people I've met on cruises on different Disney cruises.

Last year I recognised someone on the balcony next door, then again in Cabanas, I showed my son his photo in the DCL welcome book, then my TA and Concierge set up a meet. He is a very nice man....Karl Holz, in the cabin next door.

A few years back on a Panama cruise we had mid theatre seats for the show, a man sat next to me, I also recognised him, as he came up on screen introducing the Golden Mickeys at the end of the show my son quite young then ran into him, he was very charming and said no need to apologise kids will be kids, it was Roy Disney.

Not on a cruise, but in the Dominican Republic. I was in the line to get on the plane to go home, turned around and it was a friend of a friend directly behind me. Really funny! LOL!

Last edited:
On our first (and only so far) Disney cruise on the Magic in 2011, my husband and I were in line to have our pictures taken with the Mickey Statue. In front of us was a family, (mom, dad, two daughters) who turned out to be regular customers when my husband worked at a video store over a decade ago. They had even hung out a few times at a local bar. Very small world occurrance :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter