• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever return to a resort after a bad stay?

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
Have you returned to a resort after a bad stay or problem and been pleasantly surprised? did it take a while? is it worth a try?:confused:

We are in a situation and am considering this, so help up decide. Bad experience at swan and thinking about trying dolphin?

Any input greatly appreciated, Thanks MKY :rolleyes:

It would depend on the resort. For instance, we stayed for a couple of nights last September at DxL - sorry POR, don't think I'll ever get used to that - anyway no I will not go back to POR. We don't stay at moderates that often anyhow and that just sealed the deal for the particular resort. But it would have to be something pretty unacceptable to keep me from going back to a deluxe - just because the convenience is worth it in my opinion.

With the S/D - I would give it another shot - the rates are pretty great and the location is really good. If it fails again at least you know and hopefully it wasn't enough to ruin your vacation.

Hope that makes sense. I think it really depends on what ammenities the resort has as to whether or not its worth giving it another try.

Good luck!

Melissa

We did once and we regretted it. We stayed at ASSp and had a terrible stay, so bad I actually wrote a letter of complaint. WDW sent us an apology letter and offered us a rate of $49 to try it again....so we did. That trip was worse than the first, we switched half way to CSR. Never again.

I think the answer would depend upon what caused the bad experience in the first place and if it was something likely to happen again or it is was a one off event.

For example if something happened at the CM fixed it asap and was surprised it happened then I would stay again but if it looked like it was an ongoing issue or management could not/would not fix that is another ball of wax

thanks
Jason

:eek:

WE had a REALLY bad stay at the Poly last Christmas, and will not be back.The manager on duty did everything she could to make it up to us,gave us 8 1 day Ultimate Park Hoppers,even after DH kept insisting that he didn't want anything.
We still won't stay there again.

I would try it again particularly if a resort tried to make up for any problems I had. And keep in mind that a bad stay at the Swan doesn't necessarily mean that the Dolphin will be the same. But good luck just in case. :)

No, and probably wouldn't.
Someone from the WDW executive office offered me a free night's stay at POR and I turned it down flat.
Not just the money -- but if I am not happy with the service, cleanliness, etc, why bother? :confused:
I would have to know it was new management and better run.
If we had stayed there a few nights, I might have chalked it up to bad timing. But seven nights. Just bad, period.
The housekeeeping now I know what I should have done.
But the bus service was the worse I have ever experienced on property. And if it were always that bad, I would rent a car and not even be concerned with staying on-site.
I'm glad our May trip was not our first (or last) WDW trip. Had that been our first trip, DH and I both said it would have been our last.

We have stayed at six different WDW resorts, a total of 28 times, since 1992. The only bad trip was at the Poly 5 or 6 years ago. That was our first and last stay there and we will not return to the Poly again.

Just wondering what was so bad about the Paoly???Thanks...amy

I wouldn't worry about your stay at POR, just because our stay was bad.
You will find at ANY resort, there are those who could live there -- and there are those who will never return.
Our main, and largest compaints, were the TERRIBLE bus service. We aren't ones to expect a bus on demand or mind waiting. But what we experienced was a mob and mostly from unorganization and lack of bus service. It was repeatedly bad the eight days we were there. So we didn't consider it a fluke.
Our room was clean, where you use it a lot -- bed, countertop, table, etc. Just don't look beyond that or close. It was filthy.
NOW I know to contact the front desk and have it re-cleaned while we are in the parks. I kept hoping it would get better. :rolleyes: Why I thought that would happen, I'll never know.
Except for the food court, boat and gift shop the service was bad too. I don't recall ever seeing Guest Services open. We never experienced them being open when we needed them. (And before 11 p.m. too more than once. We never wanted them past 11 p.m.)
We are not demanding, by any means. We are on vacation and want to relax.
Part of our experience I think was from the big build up of POR from these boards. I was expecting a lot and didn't get much.
At AS, I don't expect much and get a lot! ;)
Enjoy your stay. Many here LOVE POR. It's a good thing we don't all love the same resort.
I'll send you a copy of the letter I mailed POR and Lee Cockerell's office. I never heard from POR management.

We had a horrible stay at CSR and wrote Disney a letter when we returned (we also spoke with management at the resort when we were there). Disney offered us a 2-free night stay (that was unexpected!) so we took them up on the offer and 6-months later returned. That stay was very nice! We stayed there again, on our own accord, about 1 1/2 years later and had a very magical stay! CSR is now my son's favorite resort; my DH, DD and I like CBR and POR best. However, we are proof that you can go back to a resort and have a magical stay.

The only two things I will not tolerate is a filthy room and rude CM's. Anything else I suppose I would try again. Our first stay at WL the transportation was horrible but we gave it a shot a second time. That trip the CM's were what was horrible. Downright rude. I will never choose to stay at WL again.

We had a bad stay at the AKL. That hotel has NO soundproofing IMHO! The first night, the people in the room next to us kept us up until past midnight arguing, and then started up again early in the AM! The night manager did come by their room (after we called) and agreed that they were being very loud. She got them to quiet down, but still, they were only quiet for a few hours that night. We asked to be moved to another room for the next night, and that room was even worse! We heard people pottying and toilets flushing over and over. It was DISGUSTING! The soundproofing (or lack thereof) is not something that is going to change at the AKL, so we will never stay there again. Even if they offered us a free stay there, we would not go back. I'm with the person who said "why bother"?!

:eek: Gary M, that's us! We have been going to Disney 2-3 times a year for 10 years,always staying at a Disney Resort.Last year we tried the Poly for the first time,and it's the only bad stay we have EVER had.

corvair,
as far as our stay was concerned,it was several things really. The main thing being one night about 1:00am, our son woke up throwing up all over the bed!! We cleaned him up and put him in the other bed with our DD,and proceded to call housekeeping for linens for the other bed.We tried to call for 1 solid hour, nobody even picked up the phone! I then told DH to just call the front desk, again, nobody even answered the phone! After about 30 min. of trying to reach the front desk with no luck(good thing it wasn't a dire emergency) DH finally got dressed,and walked,in the rain,to the main building to try and find someone.Nobody was at the front desk,but her could hear some people in the back talking and laughing.He called out to them,and a guy came out.He explained what had happened,and the guy just stood there,like what do you want me to do about it :confused: By this point DH was pretty mad and asked where the manager was,and the gut replied" Oh, just out and about somewhere." and refused to get the manager!!
The next morning when DH finally talked to a manager,she was appalled! She even went to the trouble to try and get to the bottom of what was going on that night..ours wasn't the only complaint. And that was just ONE of the problems we had.

The answer is no. My DH won't even consider staying at CSR after we had a bad trip there in 2001. He says there's too many other nice places to stay on property to be concerned with giving CSR another shot. Myself, I'd be okay with trying again... but since we just bought DVC I don't guess we will be trying it anytime soon.

loveswdw:p

We had a so-so stay at the AS Sports, but decided to give it another try. That trip was a disaster as far as the resort went, and they couldn't pay me with a free trip to ever go back.

We had a HORRID stay at the GF, and complained both during the stay and with a followup letter after we got home (it was so bad we checked out after one day and moved to the BW!) They made me a very nice offer to try again. We decided to do so, and got a good rate plus guaranteed upgraded lagoon castle view. We chose to NOT do their concierge, which was 90% of the problem on the first stay. The second stay was very nice. I don't know that I'd ever go back, only because I do'nt think the rooms are worth the cost.

Anne

My mom and I just stayed at the ASMusic in November. We also heard our neighbors toilet flushing and people urinating. It really bothered me while I was there and when I got home. How can a hotel be like this if it's Disney!! It seems as the new hotels are built, they are being built cheaper. There's Michael Eisner for you. Anyways, I am past my frustration and have decided that I really don't spend a lot of time in the room. So, I have planned a trip to the ASMusic again for November of this year with my husband. We have asked for a second floor room so we don't hear the flushing above us. Let someone else hear it for a change. We are going to stay there because we cannot beat the price and as long as we can get a good night's sleep, who cares about the toilets. :p :p

Michele,

Second floor won't do you any good, there are three floors at the AS Resorts.

Also, keep in mind that your request is only that, and you might not get it.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter